Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Looking for some thoughts/advice/ideas.....

This is a discussion on Looking for some thoughts/advice/ideas..... within the The Pipe Hobby How-To Discussion Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Gentlemen, To start off with I need to give you a little back story. My grandfather passed away in May ...

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes Hannibal's Avatar

Looking for some thoughts/advice/ideas.....

Gentlemen,

To start off with I need to give you a little back story. My grandfather passed away in May of this year and being the very kind, loving, gentile man that he was he gave all of his grandchildren and great grandchildren some money. My grandfather was also a pipe smoker a long time ago. During the preparation of the funeral I was told quite a few stories of how grandpa used to always have his pipe billowing away no matter what the situation was. So what I was thinking of doing with my money was to buy a pipe that I could always have to enjoy and remember my grandfather by. Then someday be able to pass that pipe down to my children along with the stories that I remembered from my grandfather.

So with that being said I've only dreamed about being able to spend what I would call "big" money on a pipe. So I'm looking to pick your brains for some ideas on a very good pipe that will stand the test of time. I'm looking to spend $500.00 on said pipe and want a good one. With that being said I know there are going to be numerous ideas and just as many makers but I'm not one to buy a dunhill pipe just because of the name. I'm just looking for some ideas....

Thanks in advance for your help.
    My Cellar: http://www.tobaccocellar.com/hannibal
    Proud to have served 1988-2000 U.S. Army!!

I'm watching you.

Re: Looking for some thoughts/advice/ideas.....

Have Hekthor make a custom pipe for you?
    "Only fine cigars are worth smoking, and only men who smoke fine cigars are worth kissing." -Joan Collins

Midlife crises Puffer mcgreggor57's Avatar

I can't help you on which one, but perhaps one of similar shape that was you grandfathers favorite? Or maybe a meer with your grandfathers likeness carved into it?
    Tobacco Cellar: http://www.tobaccocellar.com/mcgreggor57
    Never trust a woman's tears or a dog's limp.

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

Please accept my condolences on the passing of grandpa. Any well made handmade pipe should do the trick what type of pipe was his favorite?
    Thats an idea keep his memory alive with a newer model of his favorite smoker.
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

Big $$$ does not necessarily mean a great pipe. Many high quality made and yet sub-$150 pipes will last many, many years if cared for properly. Going to be a tough choice with so little info offered. It really comes down to what YOU want in a pipe. Best of luck with your search and sorry for your loss.
    Dale

Puffer Fish with many spikes Blue_2's Avatar

I also offer my condolences on his passing.

Knee jerk response would be Castello, but a hand carved one may be better. What was his favorite pipe shape?

Pale Horse

My condolences for his passing

I second getting a HWeibe custom creation

Quote Originally Posted by Pale Horse View Post
    My condolences for his passing

I second getting a HWeibe custom creation
    Thirded - on both accounts. Grandparents are truly special - I miss mine about every day.
    Pro Patria Vigilans................... My tobacco cellar

Puff's Resident Evil Dr. Dr. Plume's Avatar

I am sorry for your loss having lost all my gp before 14 years old I understand how hard it is. With that said I fourth the custom by hweibe nothing is as special as the pics I have seen of his pipes! Hope you find something suitable!
    "The pipe gives a wise man time to think, and a fool something to stick in his mouth." My puny cellar http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Dr.%20Plume

MWM's King of Funk Brettanomyces's Avatar

I'm sorry for your loss. It sounds like you want this pipe to have a special kind of feel, or memory, for you given the way it may remind you of your grandfather. My suggestion would be to strike up a relationship with a good pipe maker. Have something made just for you, by someone you know a bit. You'll get some input on the process, it will have been made by someone you can continue to talk to, and no doubt the story of how it came about will be something interesting you can share with the next generation. That said, there are a lot of good pipe makers, so maybe check out your area, or go with a fellow Puffer, as suggested.

No longer a community member.

Jeff -sorry to hear about your grandfather too. I think I'd have to have Hekthor make me a totally unique, one of a kind, pipe that would always remind me of my grandfather. It would also offer you the opportunity to tell the story of your grandfather every time someone asked about that unique pipe you were smoking.