Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

newbie taste help

This is a discussion on newbie taste help within the The Pipe Hobby How-To Discussion Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; SO been workin the pipe thing for couple weeks...so far no prob packing and staying lit etc. I have 1Q ...

newbie taste help

SO been workin the pipe thing for couple weeks...so far no prob packing and staying lit etc. I have 1Q , Blk Cav and a maple rum on hand. I did just order some FM today I do enjoy the smoke and the relaxation part..however the flavors seem to evade me..yeah i get the smoke but none of the "taste"..that kinda surprises me. I can taste beers, wines, homebrew n shine and pick up light flavors other cannot.. So i am kinda surprised the "taste" is missing..any suggestions like the swirl n sniff for wine? LOL Using a cob pipe if that matters..

Re: newbie taste help

to add: I did clean the pipe..noticing more of an ashtray odor than anything. So i cleaned it well and will let it sit. The taste i DO get is similar to the ashtray smell...not a burnt taste but not far from it either. It is pretty much the same no matter what i smoke. I notice a little difference with the black cav but not much

Midlife crises Puffer mcgreggor57's Avatar

Try retrohaling a bit through your nose on the exhale. Also, make sure you're sipping on the pipe and allowing the smoke to slowly enter your mouth an coat your tongue. It'll come. I can pick up flavors in a cigar much easier than a pipe.
    Tobacco Cellar: http://www.tobaccocellar.com/mcgreggor57
    Never trust a woman's tears or a dog's limp.

My wifes cob ( yea she likes it too) came in the mail
    today. So i tried it out to see if it made a difference .It did..obviously i
    Must have gotten pipe too hot er something. She was laughing at me as i was describing
    The difference...lol.. then she took it away lol

Midlife crises Puffer mcgreggor57's Avatar

Smart woman!
    Tobacco Cellar: http://www.tobaccocellar.com/mcgreggor57
    Never trust a woman's tears or a dog's limp.

Puff's Resident Evil Dr. Dr. Plume's Avatar

You'll get it I second mcgreggors advice sip and retrohal. Tis happens to me with perique I can't taste it too much in something like st James flake till I retrohal it then it comes alive in both mouth and nose. The sense especially these two are inseprable.
    "The pipe gives a wise man time to think, and a fool something to stick in his mouth." My puny cellar http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Dr.%20Plume

Puffer Fish with some spikes Tony78's Avatar

Not to pile on your topic, but I struggle with the EXACT same thing. I've been trying the slow sipping, pipe positions, tongue placement, retrohaling, and different tobaccos. I think I'm starting to taste subtle flavors over the ash tray taste as described. I know I can taste early morning pipe more so than I can royal yacht...not sure what that means. I'm hoping the keep smoking and it will come mentality plays out.

What are else are smoking beside s these two? I don't think you should be getting an ash tray taste at all.
    "The pipe gives a wise man time to think, and a fool something to stick in his mouth." My puny cellar http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Dr.%20Plume

Quote Originally Posted by Ridgerunnr View Post
    to add: I did clean the pipe..noticing more of an ashtray odor than anything. So i cleaned it well and will let it sit. The taste i DO get is similar to the ashtray smell...not a burnt taste but not far from it either. It is pretty much the same no matter what i smoke. I notice a little difference with the black cav but not much
    Have tried Virginia's and Virginia blends?

Puffer Fish with some spikes Tony78's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Plume View Post
    What are else are smoking beside s these two? I don't think you should be getting an ash tray taste at all.
    I've also tried a C&D Junkyard Dawg, PA, and Carter Hall. I think the ash taste comes from smoking too fast or puffing too hard. I'm trying to find a balance of slow smoking vs. having to relight 900 times.

I agree that the ashtray taste is from puffing too hard, if the tobacco is too dry you can get that too.

Perfect moisture + slow-sipping + well-trained-senses (aka practice) = perfect pipe experience.

Tobacco that has TASTE will help too, get some 1792 into your pipe, it'll cure what ails ya.
    “While you smoke, rub the bowl occasionally along the side of your nose. Briar has an affinity for your natural oils.” -My cellar.-

Two suggestions. First, if you don't retrohale, I recommend it, even moreso for pipes than cigars. You could be missing out on a lot of aromas/flavors just by this alone. Here is a helpful video: How to Retrohale Cigar Smoke - YouTube

Second, your tobaccos. 1Q and Black Cavs are not going to be tobacco flavor powerhouses, especially if you're used to cigars. I recommend you purchase some blends with latakia and orientals. Frog Morton is a good, if mild, start down that road. Here are some suggestions:

GL Pease: Caravan, Charing Cross, Meridian, Westminster
    McClelland: Old Dog, Oriental No. 14, 3 Oaks series, Legends
    Dunhill: Early Morning Pipe, Standard Mixture Medium, 965, London Mixture
    Samuel Gawith: Squadron Leader, Commonwealth

Couldn't hurt to buy a couple estate briars, too. Check out pulversbriar.com, mkelaw-pipes.com, briarblues.com, and smokingpipes.com.

I'd add Fox's The Banker to the list, particularly if you are a cigar smoker. It's an English mix with Latakia firmly present but not overpowering. The Havana leaf adds a subtle hint of what you're used to into the mix.
    "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

Full grown Puffer Fish Bunnosaurusrex's Avatar

sounds to me like your cob has too much corn on the inside... the soft part of the cob that is supposed to be removed when the pipe is made will make everything you smoke taste the same if there is too much of it left when the hole is bored... you will be able to tell by scraping off the char on the inside of the bowl just keep diggimg around in there with the spoon of your Czech tool till it doesn't feel soft anymore then give it a few full bowls if that doesn't work spend the $4 on a new cob

I hit a cigar about once a year and thats it. Some FM is on the way so will try that..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast