Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Recommend a Churchwarden?

This is a discussion on Recommend a Churchwarden? within the The Pipe Hobby How-To Discussion Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; I want to pick up a churchwarden, and I'm not sure what kinds/brands are worthwhile. Should I buy new or ...

Puffer Fish with some spikes Fraze's Avatar

Recommend a Churchwarden?

I want to pick up a churchwarden, and I'm not sure what kinds/brands are worthwhile.
    Should I buy new or estate?

Any info will help.

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

Re: Recommend a Churchwarden?

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

Puffer Fish with some spikes Fraze's Avatar

So all of those are quality?

And are recommending buying one new?

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

I personally don't buy used pipes unless its from another trusted BOTL on Puff!
    The vendor is an excellent one used by many so anything he sells he stands behind.
    Of course always keep in mind you get what you pay for.
    I am a noob at pipes and still learning myself!
    I am sure one of the more experienced brothers will chime in and give you more input.
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by Fraze View Post
    So all of those are quality?

And are recommending buying one new?
    Tony gave you a great vendor - I've had good experiences with them as well. All of my pipes - except for my cobs - have been estate pipes. No problems there. Wardens are already cheap though, so there wouldn't be any real savings to be had from buying that way with a warden, IMO.
    Pro Patria Vigilans................... My tobacco cellar

How about something a bit different? A Ropp Cherrywood Churchwarden. This would be estate as they stopped manufacture altogether in 1991 (some new ones still on the market though - rather humdrum briars). They are cheap as chips and there are usually some available on eBay. I've just looked on the US site and none there at the moment. There is this: Vintage Smoking Pipe RARE Giant Ropp | eBay but it ain't a Ropp and certainly not rare.

Here are two of mine. The top one is a "De Luxe" - about 12 inches total length; dates from the 1960s, I think. The bottom one is also "De Luxe" but from about the 1970 or early 1980s. Not really a Churchwarden - just a bloody big classic Cherrywood. These are quite common; the "real" Churchwarden less so. Both are good smokers. Don't worry about cracks in the bowl; a lot of them do this.

Attachment 72737
    "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

Elder Puffer Fish Leader indigosmoke's Avatar

All good suggestions so far. Also check out Savinelli (Italian quality at great price), Peterson (classic churchwarden styles, but a higher price) and Johs (handmade and danish style). All make a good churchwarden. Or if you like meer perhaps an Altinok. Savinelli also makes the Bing's, Byron's and Clark's Favorites lines and the Quandale which are sort of semi-churchwardens in the 8" range. Here's a video I did a while back on a Bing's Favorite in their unusual Black & White version. They come in many traditional styles as well, so don't let the B&W throw you. The video will give you an idea of their length and size however:

It you don't want to watch the entire video, there are some good pictures of the Bing's Favorite at the end.

The Quandale takes the Savinelli balsa filter (which you don't have to use) but the other Savinelli churchwardens do not.

As for estate pipes I'd recommend you start here:

http://www.pulversbriar.com

Marty Pulvers is a legend in the pipe world, a really decent guy, and he knows just about as much about pipes as anyone around. Just reading the descriptions on his site is an education in pipe quality and history. He often has churchwardens.
    Last edited by indigosmoke; 11-04-2012 at 12:58 AM.
    “The value of tobacco is best understood when it is the last you possess and there is no chance of getting more.” - Bismarck

How about something really different?

Pipe, Tobacco, and E-Bay Acquisitions

Stem and pipe can be purchased here - 'Forever' Stems

Just picked up this one, I'll let you know when it gets here.

Savinelli's are always a good choice too.
    “While you smoke, rub the bowl occasionally along the side of your nose. Briar has an affinity for your natural oils.” -My cellar.-

Puff's Resident Evil Dr. Dr. Plume's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gahdzila View Post
    How about something really different?

Pipe, Tobacco, and E-Bay Acquisitions

Stem and pipe can be purchased here - 'Forever' Stems
    This one gave me a case of serious cob envy.
    "The pipe gives a wise man time to think, and a fool something to stick in his mouth." My puny cellar http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Dr.%20Plume

Knew it wouldn't take long for one to turn up...

Vintage Long Ropp Deluxe C19 Tobacco Pipe 10 1 2 inch Cherry Wood France | eBay

Looks quite a nice one. But certainly not 19th Century. 1970s or even early 1980s.
    "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

The Cheese stands alone Commander Quan's Avatar

I recommend having a churchwarden stem made for a standard pipe that you either already have or buy new. I did this, and am glad this is the route I went. I find I don't use the long stem often enough to justify having a standalone churchwarden.
    “In my world, everyone's a pony and they all eat rainbows and poop butterflies!

Midlife crises Puffer mcgreggor57's Avatar

That makes a lot of sense Derrick. Any idea how much a custom cw stem would cost to fit a specific pipe? I could see going the Forever stem route since they fit all of the MMs. Then you could get a good feel for how often you reach for the longer pipe before deciding to pull the trigger on a stand alone cw.
    Tobacco Cellar: http://www.tobaccocellar.com/mcgreggor57
    Never trust a woman's tears or a dog's limp.

The Cheese stands alone Commander Quan's Avatar

I had Dan Boswell make a churchwarden stem for one of the pipes I bought at the shop when I was there. I think they charged me $25 for the stem.
    “In my world, everyone's a pony and they all eat rainbows and poop butterflies!

Puffer Fish with some spikes Tony78's Avatar

General Cobwarden was $35. 25 for the forever stem an 10 for the General. I'm new to pipes and even newer to churchwardens. I've only smoked General Cobwarden a few times now since his arrival. He's definitely made me a fan of the churchwarden style. The smoke was cooler and seemingly more flavorful from the few tobaccos I've tried thus far. Whatever churchwarden you decide to do or try, I think you'll end up with a pipe you'll enjoy.