Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Help please! Taste?

This is a discussion on Help please! Taste? within the The Pipe Hobby How-To Discussion Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; I managed a good bowl with the cob but still had the ashy taste in it when I came to ...

Young Puffer Fish

Re: Help please! Taste?

I managed a good bowl with the cob but still had the ashy taste in it when I came to pick up pipe smoking again. I'll give it some more tries and get back to you, There's no sign of oxidising on the stems and the pipes arent that old. Thanks

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes sweater88's Avatar

This is going to piss off the pipe guys, but you might want to grab a couple of light to medium bodied cigars to start with. Get your palate used to tobacco, then move over to the pipe. Pipe tobacco can br amazing, but if you kill your mouth with tongue bite and bad taste, you are probably smoking too hot, and too wet, in my experience (witch is limited). A light bodied cigar won't do that to you, it will just burn unevenly if you smoke too fast (which correlates to too hot). Hth
    "Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets"-----Ron Swanson

Puff's Resident Evil Dr. Dr. Plume's Avatar

Draw on your pipe should not be any harder than siping coke out if straw if it is it will cause you to draw to hard and likely to fast resulting in an ashy taste. Tie also causes it to smoke too hot which doesn't help anything either. How do you pack your pipe.
    "The pipe gives a wise man time to think, and a fool something to stick in his mouth." My puny cellar http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Dr.%20Plume

Young Puffer Fish

I try and go for the three step method packing progressively harder with each pinch the draw feels fine to me sometimes a slight too light. What do you mean by tie? Thanks

Young Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by sweater88 View Post
    This is going to piss off the pipe guys, but you might want to grab a couple of light to medium bodied cigars to start with. Get your palate used to tobacco, then move over to the pipe. Pipe tobacco can br amazing, but if you kill your mouth with tongue bite and bad taste, you are probably smoking too hot, and too wet, in my experience (witch is limited). A light bodied cigar won't do that to you, it will just burn unevenly if you smoke too fast (which correlates to too hot). Hth
    I am used to smoking cigars, I used to smoke them before moving to pipes but couldn't afford them! The bowl is getting hot too so I can only imagine its my fault. Maybe I should leave the tobacco too dry for a bit before smoking everytime as I'm smoking so slow the pipe will go out alot. Cheers

Yep problem is tobacco is too wet I am sure of it. Both symptoms you mentioned are caused by this. If it burned hot but didn't go out I would say it is too dry. Tie is a typo. Dry over night sitting out and try again. Three pack method is fine remember fill to top pack to about half. Fill again pack to three quarter full. Pack over too and press to just below rim. Lt us know how it goes.
    "The pipe gives a wise man time to think, and a fool something to stick in his mouth." My puny cellar http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Dr.%20Plume

Quote Originally Posted by polo View Post
    I am used to smoking cigars, I used to smoke them before moving to pipes but couldn't afford them! The bowl is getting hot too so I can only imagine its my fault. Maybe I should leave the tobacco too dry for a bit before smoking everytime as I'm smoking so slow the pipe will go out alot. Cheers
    Relighting a pipe repeatedly is only a problem if you view it as one. Everyone has to relight their pipes - if you manage to get right to the bottom of a bowl without relighting it is an achievement to celebrate. True, incorrect packing, moisture levels, etc. will make the "perfect" smoke less likely.

There is a lot of advice given to allow your tobacco to dry before smoking (how dry or wet is the point...). Nothing wrong with that view, but I've never gone in for this myself. The level of moisture will level out in any case as you smoke. Cigars reach a "cruising" zone where moisture from the tobacco combustion and evaporation from the heat of the burn find a happy balance. Pipes are very similar. The start of a bowl is often a bit difficult as the tobacco is too dry (needs careful slow smoking) or too wet (needs slightly more aggressive smoking, relighting and running pipe cleaners through the stem to remove moisture). Again, true that it may take a bit less time to reach the cruising point if the the tobacco is already close to the optimum. I'm sure we have all smoked both cigars and pipes where there has been a struggle at the start but the end result in the cruise zone has been satisfying. I've often put a pipe down for a while and returned to it later if the struggle is too much; second time around it's usually no problem. All part of the "fun" IMHO.

Having sad all that, maybe my point is invalidated by the fact that almost all of my tobacco is smoked after a year or so of aging when the manufacturer's idea of moisture level (more water = more profit) has been replaced by mine - which does, in truth, tend to be drier for my staple Louisiana Flake.
    "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

I am a noob at pipes but have found that if i rub some baccy out this holds true especially for plug and flake. Put in in the bowl go do some things come back to lite it in an hour or two nine times out of ten it smokes like a dream. Relights are fine sip it this is the hardest part for long time cigar smokers like myself. As we search for that full mouth of smoke not necessary with pipes. I like to light with wood matches better than lighters not to much heat.
    Enjoy the journey!
    Peace my brother!
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Professor View Post
    I'm thinking you might need to clean your pipe more thoroughly, and maybe polish the stem (if it is vulcanite). An oxidized stem can taste awful, and make any tobacco quite unenjoyable. You say smoking though your cob is fine, but not your briar, right? So it sounds like the problem is with your briar pipe, not with your technique or tobacco...
    Quick tip...

I smoke a lot of estate pipes and the stems always need thorough cleaning. Oxidation products do taste foul. Remember this also happens on the inside of the stem. The best method I've found to remedy this is to polish the inside of the stem using a pipe cleaner soaked in T-Cut. Removes the oxidation products and tobacco residues well and quickly. If this isn't a known product, it is an automotive paint cutting liquid compound - I'm sure there are equivalents. I also use this to restore the outside of the stems. Wash out afterward with detergent and warm water (again with the aid of a pipe cleaner) and rinse with clean water thoroughly.

Young Puffer Fish

Thanks guys your amazing thoroughly appreciate the efforts your putting in to help me (not alot to you but means alot to me) Had a bowl of bulwark flake not long ago, Started off bland, but before long I started to taste berries and fruits, Think I'm getting the hang of it, I had also let it dry for an hour or more rubbed out. It was smoked in a cob but going to have a bowl in my Briar tomorrow and if it tastes ashy I'm Going to clean my Briars with some vodka, Anyone know if this will remove any oxidisation inside the stem? and will dry my tobacco's out before smoking. Unfortunately I've nearly run out now as I keep lighting bowls to try out your ideas haha! Still some ashy taste but I'm sure it will get better with time. Thanks again! Also I've the salt and vodka treatment to my briars (I only have two) earlier this year but have only smoked them a few times since. Not sure if its worth doing it again and would it work on a cob as I've never done it on it and I have smoked it quite alot!

Personally I would use something higher proof like everclear for cleaning but vodka might do the trick not sure. I wouldn't bother doing that in the cob personally but it may work. If you do it just let it dry out really good for a few days. We are always willing to help! Keep us posted and stick with it.

Young Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Plume View Post
    Personally I would use something higher proof like everclear for cleaning but vodka might do the trick not sure. I wouldn't bother doing that in the cob personally but it may work. If you do it just let it dry out really good for a few days. We are always willing to help! Keep us posted and stick with it.
    Despite getting more flavours from the tobacco instead of just ash now I still get a burning mouth, The bowl gets a bit hot and the smoke doesnt feel hot coming out the bit but still causes my mouth so slowly burn. Could this be to do with the moisture level still? and we don't have everclear in the u.k I don't think. Do you know any U.K equivalent? Cheers

Could be but usually happens when you puff to frequently and tobacco gets to hot which sometimes happens as a result of puffing too frequently to try and keep it lit. See when you are smoking may sound stupid but your mouth is wet and your breath is wet and sometime so is the tobacco when you add heat and moisture you get condensation so as you smoke your tobacco gets progressively more wet through the bowl. So if you start wet you will end very wet start drier and you will end slightly wet. It is why so many of us out so much into drying. If a tobacco is hot enough it will burn but at what cost. You said that you dried it out rubbed out for an hour. Try two. Every tobacco is different and you ill start to get the hang of it. It also helps to develop a cadence here is mine for example. Two medium sips wait ten or so seconds one long smooth sip. Repeat and everybody is different so you can find what works for you. And like I said depends on tobacco. Samuel Gawith tobacco comes so wet I rub it out and dry it over night about eight hours just depends. As for a replacement check this thread out should be ticket for you. Everclear/ rubbing alcohol replacement?
    Any other questions don't hesitate to ask.

Also try something tony suggested next bowl you smoke as soon as you get ash taste put your pipe down come back two hours later and give it a shot. Nothing wrong with putting a pipe down and coming back to it. Did it three times to the same bowl the other day not because of moisture jut because cant smoke in a metro. Let us know.

Quote Originally Posted by polo View Post
    Despite getting more flavours from the tobacco instead of just ash now I still get a burning mouth, The bowl gets a bit hot and the smoke doesnt feel hot coming out the bit but still causes my mouth so slowly burn. Could this be to do with the moisture level still? and we don't have everclear in the u.k I don't think. Do you know any U.K equivalent? Cheers
    Tongue bite is usually due to smoking a bit too hot. Some blends are more prone to it than others (I read somewhere that it isn't heat that burns the tongue, but some combustion by-product - I'll see if I can find that again). I very rarely suffer it these days; even with blends like Ennerdate Flake which is prone to it (and new to me so no expert with it).

I don't think there is an equivalent of Everclear in the UK. This is (I believe) high proof unflavoured spirit - basically very strong vodka. Vodka will do the trick. There is Falcon Pipe Cleaner spay available, but it smells "funny" to me and isn't really meant for briar pipes. Fine for the stem, though.

I've seen quite a few comments now about "ashy" tastes, mainly from new pipe smokers. I wonder if this is a result of smoking a new pipe, possibly too hot. It's been so many years since I smoked a new pipe that I can't comment from experience. Maybe this is "normal" before a) cake is built up and b) you sort out your technique. I have tasted this sort of thing with estate pipes that look like they have been habitually smoked too hot and have badly scorched briar.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast