Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Help please! Taste?

This is a discussion on Help please! Taste? within the The Pipe Hobby How-To Discussion Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; As Robert said some blends get it more than others Virginias or blends with a heavy dose of Virginia's I ...

Puff's Resident Evil Dr. Dr. Plume's Avatar

Re: Help please! Taste?

As Robert said some blends get it more than others Virginias or blends with a heavy dose of Virginia's I find to be most prone but they are my favorite so I have learned to deal. What tobaccos are you smoking?
    "The pipe gives a wise man time to think, and a fool something to stick in his mouth." My puny cellar http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Dr.%20Plume

Of Baccy that I know is in the uk Samuel Gawith squadron leader is very forgiving mixture and needs little to no drying time. Worth a shot.
    "The pipe gives a wise man time to think, and a fool something to stick in his mouth." My puny cellar http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Dr.%20Plume

Puffer Fish with some spikes Baron_Null's Avatar

That burning is referred to as "Tongue Bite" among pipers. It is caused by several things, one of which is the alkalinity of the smoke. The alkalinity is caused by heat and sugar content, to simplify it quite a bit. Smoking too hot will cause the alkalinity to rise, and some tobaccos (such as Virginia types) are more prone to causing tongue bite due to the high sugar content. One thing that might help with tongue bite is having something to drink nearby, preferably weakly acidic, such as a tea or soda. I also find that having something to drink while smoking helps with tasting flavors, since it washes out the flavors of the last puff to a point.

Quote Originally Posted by polo View Post
    Anyone know if this will remove any oxidisation inside the stem?
    You need to polish out oxidation completely. Alcohol cleaning won't shift it. There is a thread on cleaning elsewhere (one of the "How to" threads ??). I buy a lot of estate briars and most need to have oxidised stems cleaned. I use T-Cut automotive paint cutting compound inside and out (remove the stem and avoid polishing the tenon - it won't be oxidised as air doesn't get to it). It works quite gently, but thoroughly and is a good mild abrasive polish with solvents that dissolve tar as well without damage to the stem material. Use it on a soft cloth for the outside and a pipe cleaner for the inside and scrub well. For really tar hard deposits, a bristle pipe cleaner is useful. Wash off with warm water and detergent (also use a pipe cleaner) and then rinse thoroughly. You need to be careful on the outside as it will polish out maker's markings if you are not careful. Don't use it to polish the briar.

How oxidised is the stem of your pipe? Oxidation is only worth dealing with in this way if you can see its brown/greenish presence, If it is there you will know it it is very visible. It can make a pipe taste foul. There is a way of using bleach to remove the oxidation, but I've little experience of it. I used it a couple of times, but ended up by polishing out the deposits anyway. To my mind, it just makes them look less green.

EDIT...
    Ooops! just saw that I posted much the same earlier. Must be old age...
    Last edited by steinr1; 11-10-2012 at 08:14 PM.
    "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

Young Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by steinr1 View Post
    You need to polish out oxidation completely. Alcohol cleaning won't shift it. There is a thread on cleaning elsewhere (one of the "How to" threads ??). I buy a lot of estate briars and most need to have oxidised stems cleaned. I use T-Cut automotive paint cutting compound inside and out (remove the stem and avoid polishing the tenon - it won't be oxidised as air doesn't get to it). It works quite gently, but thoroughly and is a good mild abrasive polish with solvents that dissolve tar as well without damage to the stem material. Use it on a soft cloth for the outside and a pipe cleaner for the inside and scrub well. For really tar hard deposits, a bristle pipe cleaner is useful. Wash off with warm water and detergent (also use a pipe cleaner) and then rinse thoroughly. You need to be careful on the outside as it will polish out maker's markings if you are not careful. Don't use it to polish the briar.

How oxidised is the stem of your pipe? Oxidation is only worth dealing with in this way if you can see its brown/greenish presence, If it is there you will know it it is very visible. It can make a pipe taste foul. There is a way of using bleach to remove the oxidation, but I've little experience of it. I used it a couple of times, but ended up by polishing out the deposits anyway. To my mind, it just makes them look less green.

EDIT...
    Ooops! just saw that I posted much the same earlier. Must be old age...
    Haha thanks, but the pipes are less than a year old and I can see no oxidation on the stems at all. There is pretty much no carbon cake on the bowl infact theres none. It was pre carbonised from new no maybe its that thats tasting bad, I'm drying out the last bowl of bob's choc flake now but I only have two pipes and find I'm smoking lots of different blends in the same pipe. Thanks again for the replies everyone

Hey polo pm me your address in the uk. Ill put some samples in the post tomorrow when the office opens for you of some stuff that is properly dried and ready to smoke so we can rule that out as a problem and get you a few more bowls to try some stuff. I know uk has terrible import laws so it will be in a standard envelope with a piece of paper to pass for a letter. I can probably only fit two samples in that size so it is what it is. But send me address today so I get the stuff ready and in post for you tomorrow.

Young Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Plume View Post
    Hey polo pm me your address in the uk. Ill put some samples in the post tomorrow when the office opens for you of some stuff that is properly dried and ready to smoke so we can rule that out as a problem and get you a few more bowls to try some stuff. I know uk has terrible import laws so it will be in a standard envelope with a piece of paper to pass for a letter. I can probably only fit two samples in that size so it is what it is. But send me address today so I get the stuff ready and in post for you tomorrow.
    Wow thankyou! What an amazing community this is. Will PM you now cheers

Not a problem be in post tomorrow. Pmed you a question back.

Newbie in the ocean

I'm having the same issue. After a smoke the pipe smells like an ashtray. I've just been smoking aromatic blends from my local pipe shop and I've let them dry for a few hours. I'm not sure about anyone else here but I always associated pipe smoking with having a great smell in the air and being rather pleasant to be around. Most of the smoking I've done the past two weeks (new pipe smoker here) all generally smells like smoking a cigarette.

Should I pick up some regular tobacco at a Walgreens or something? Would that make a difference or just taste more like ash?

Philosopher Extraordinai Gigmaster's Avatar

It is possible your pipe could be contaminated with some chemicals, or maybe just pollutants in the air. Try this method. It usually restores the bowl to almost original condition.

1. Clean your pipe out well with pipe cleaners. Wad up a paper towel and dry-scrub the inside of the bowl until the paper comes out mostly clean.

2. Plug up the end of the stem (with the bit removed) with a piece of toilet paper or paper towel.

3. Pour pipe sweetener into the bowl and fill it as much as possible. Set your pipe somewhere and let it soak overnight.

4. After 8-12 hours, dump the bowl (and don't be scared by the brownish, nasty looking stuff that's going to come out of it. This leaches all the chemicals and tars right out the pores of the pipe....), and wipe it out again with a paper towel. Allow it to dry overnight.

5. Clean your pipe normally once more before you smoke it again.

This usually eliminates any bad taste left in a pipe, and kills bacteria as well. I do this on every used pipe I buy before I smoke them.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3