Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Help please! Taste?

This is a discussion on Help please! Taste? within the The Pipe Hobby How-To Discussion Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Hey guys recently picked up pipe smoking (meaning today ) after a long break of half a year but had ...

Young Puffer Fish

Unhappy Help please! Taste?

Hey guys recently picked up pipe smoking (meaning today ) after a long break of half a year but had only been smoking a month back then (I can rarely afford the tobacco at all, Which means I start to get the hang of it have a huge gap and then forget it all) Anyway, I just got some Bob's choc flake and loaded up a bowl in my cob and lit it, Right from the start it just tasted like ash ... bitter ash. I don't know if i'm smoking too fast but I smoked as slow as I could to the point smoke was barely being produced. I've pretty muh always had this problem smoking pipes until one day I had an amazing bowl of Black swann shoppes christmas blend in the cob and it was heaven. Never tasted good in my briar infact no tobacco ever has I always get the bad ashy taste. Can anyone help me out it's so frustrating! The only small amount of flavour I get is when I breathe out my nose but that's just a kind of sweet coal aroma but it's the same with every tobacco. I just cant taste anything but ash like sucking a gone out cigarette. Any help is greatly appreciated! I also get a burning in my mouth (not stinging) like heartburn in my throat mouth, slowing down the smoke solves it mostly but then the pipe will just go out with still no flavour. Cheers!

My cat's Chief of Staff El wedo del milagro's Avatar

Re: Help please! Taste?

Let the tobacco dry for at least an hour before smoking it.

Puff slowly.

And tamping is an art... if the tobacco is too tight it will be hard to keep lit and you'll strain yerself trying to puff... if it's too loose it'll burn fast and HOT and taste horrible.

I wish ya luck.

Young Puffer Fish

Just put half a bowl of pensioners mix into my pipe and still exactly the same taste played around with the draw and tightness but nothing still a disgusting taste, Very frustrating!

Did ya let the tobacco sit out to dry for at least an hour first?

Well I see ya posted 18 minutes after I did, so ya didn't let it dry out.

Let it dry for at least an hour first. Then let us know how it worked out.

I agree with Mark, let it dry out for a while before smoking, then report back with your findings.

Are you smoking mostly goopy aromatics? If so, I would suggest either switching to some more "natural" tasting blends, or using something like a laptop fan to dry that tobacco out.
    “While you smoke, rub the bowl occasionally along the side of your nose. Briar has an affinity for your natural oils.” -My cellar.-

Young Puffer Fish

My brother and my friend just tried my pipe and they too said it tasted like a gone out cigarette ... What am I doing wrong?!

Young Puffer Fish

No goopy aromatics at all a couple of flakes and some christmas blend and pensioners mix they all taste like ash, I will try the drying out method but if that doesn't work I really do not know what to try. I'm going to be out of tobacco by the time I get this to taste alright! Thanks guys I'll report back soon

Quote Originally Posted by polo View Post
    My brother and my friend just tried my pipe and they too said it tasted like a gone out cigarette ... What am I doing wrong?!
    Maybe you pipe's broken

Have you given it a good alcohol cleaning?
    “While you smoke, rub the bowl occasionally along the side of your nose. Briar has an affinity for your natural oils.” -My cellar.-

Young Puffer Fish

Haha Yup they all had one not long ago, used them maybe once or twice since, no cake on them or anything apart from the cob has a nice bit of cake on the inside but never alcohol cleaned it, They haven't been used in about 3-4 months

Young Puffer Fish

Let the tobacco dry out for a while and still nothing, Same old ashy bad taste burning my mouth quite a bit too, The smoke doesn't feel hot coming out of the bit but burns my mouth slowly everywhere. Get a few hints of the taste during lighting but that's it then just turned to horrible ash. Tried smoking so slow it goes out and harder so there's loads of smoke but nope still nothing. Getting frustrating now I just want to relax and smoke a bowl that I can enjoy but hard to when it tastes like ashtray! Any more ideas guys?

Young Puffer Fish

Starting to taste a few differences in the flavoured tobacco's can't taste any in the bulwark flake just ashy stuff but I did burn my tounge on some coffee earlier today whih I guess is affecting my taste, Will try again tomorrow when its healed more and get back to you if anythings changed

Puffer Fish with some spikes Tony78's Avatar

As a new pipe smoker, I'm just starting to get over this myself.

This helped me the most so far: Retrohaling: How to Retrohale Cigar Smoke - YouTube

Slowing down helped. Holding the smoke in your mouth a bit longer helped. Trying different tobaccos definitely helps by make your palate more aware.

Puff's Resident Evil Dr. Dr. Plume's Avatar

Packing too tight causes you to draw in harder which will result in ash taste for sure drying time can also be a factor. If you rub out the flake dry for an hour if you are leaving it in flake form dry it out for four hours or so.puff slow sip the pipe. Develop a cadence. Pinch test the tobacco if you pinch in between your fingers and it slowly expands back normal size too wet. If it cracks and breaks too dry. You want it to be springy. Stay with it.
    "The pipe gives a wise man time to think, and a fool something to stick in his mouth." My puny cellar http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Dr.%20Plume

Deviant Gentleman The Mad Professor's Avatar

I'm thinking you might need to clean your pipe more thoroughly, and maybe polish the stem (if it is vulcanite). An oxidized stem can taste awful, and make any tobacco quite unenjoyable. You say smoking though your cob is fine, but not your briar, right? So it sounds like the problem is with your briar pipe, not with your technique or tobacco...
    The Mad Professor's Pipes Page.................. .................My modest TobaccoCellar....................................Product Design Portfolio(shameless plug)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast