Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Can't get a pipe cleaner all the through my cob...

This is a discussion on Can't get a pipe cleaner all the through my cob... within the The Pipe Hobby How-To Discussion Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Hey all, So I've started breaking in a new cob (bent country gentleman). Unlike my other I can't get a ...

Can't get a pipe cleaner all the through my cob...

Hey all,
    So I've started breaking in a new cob (bent country gentleman). Unlike my other I can't get a pipe cleaner through the to the bowl on this one. After looking and fiddling with it it appears that the problem lies in the fact that the pipe cleaner takes a curve from the stem and then is hitting the stem (wrong term?) right about the point where said stem enters the cob. So, I'm assuming that some sort of reaming is in order but I'm a little lost. Do I just need to adjust the taper on the inside? If that is the case what's a good tool for the job? I don't have any tapered reamers that small at the shop. Or should I just not worry about it and pull the stem after each bowl for cleaning? Thanks for the advice everyone I really appreciate it.
    Now with 96.5% more Wub Wub! http://www.tobaccocellar.com/NikonNUT

Re: Can't get a pipe cleaner all the through my cob...

I had a pipe with a similar problem. I put the tiniest kink in the end of the cleaner and when it hit the hang up I would give it a spin. Worked for me until the problem was fixed.
    I don't always drink beer,,,
    OK, yes I do

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    I had a pipe with a similar problem. I put the tiniest kink in the end of the cleaner and when it hit the hang up I would give it a spin. Worked for me until the problem was fixed.
    Well that works a treat! Thank you, Fuzzy. So as everything burns in do you think that things will sort themselves out?

If this is a cob, BJ Longs Bristle Tobacco Pipe Cleaners may work out the problem. The wood stems are not as tough as briar.
    OK, yes I do

Quote Originally Posted by nikonnut View Post
    bentcountry gentleman
    If you're inserting a pipe cleaner with the stem still on, notice that the pipe cleaner actually has to make two turns and bend twice before reaching the bowl. I think that's the only issue you're having, if I'm understanding you. You can do like Fuzzy said and put a slight bend in the end of your pipe cleaner before inserting it, and twist it a little while inserting it, and usually work it in that way.

Or....

Quote Originally Posted by nikonnut View Post
    Or should I just not worry about it and pull the stem after each bowl for cleaning?
    All of my cobs are bent, and this is what I do.

I had a cob that would not pass a cleaner without a lot of fuss. After passing the bristle type cleaners through it, it became easier. Probably just wore down the mismatched area. Now I wonder if there is such a thing as a small diameter flexible file??
    OK, yes I do

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    I had a cob that would not pass a cleaner without a lot of fuss. After passing the bristle type cleaners through it, it became easier. Probably just wore down the mismatched area. Now I wonder if there is such a thing as a small diameter flexible file??
    Hmmmm. That's a good question. Ill have to take a look see in my MSC catalogue when I get to work tomorrow

Puff's Resident Evil Dr. Dr. Plume's Avatar

Little twist always works for me. I don't even think about it anymore.
    "The pipe gives a wise man time to think, and a fool something to stick in his mouth." My puny cellar http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Dr.%20Plume