Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Best Pipe Lighter on a Budget

This is a discussion on Best Pipe Lighter on a Budget within the The Pipe Hobby How-To Discussion Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; bic...

Chest Beating Pack Leader [OT] Loki's Avatar

Re: Best Pipe Lighter on a Budget

bic

Alpha Puffer Fish

I watch old movies - it's always stick matches - the big ones - like the old Diamond brand, you can still get them at grocery stores.

as for flying with lighters -
    PER CURRENT TSA:
    Common Lighters - Lighters without fuel are permitted in checked baggage. Lighters with fuel are prohibited in checked baggage, unless they adhere to the Department of Transportation (DOT) exemption, which allows up to two fueled lighters if properly enclosed in a DOT approved case. If you are uncertain as to whether your lighter is prohibited, please leave it at home. OK X
    Torch Lighters - Torch lighters create a thin, needle-like flame that is hotter (reaching 2,500 degrees Fahrenheit) and more intense than those from common lighters. Torch lighters are often used for pipes and cigars, and maintain a consistent stream of air-propelled fire regardless of the angle at which it is held. Torch lighters continue to be banned. X X
    Strike-anywhere Matches - One book of safety (non-strike anywhere) matches are permitted as carry-on items, but all matches are prohibited in checked baggage.

In other words - you cannot carry on any lighter - but you CAN carry on a book of matches to light your shoes or underwear on fire!

THESE CANNOT BE CARRIED ON OR IN CHECKED BAGGAGE:
    Blasting Caps X X
    Dynamite X X
    Fireworks X X
    Flares (in any form) X X
    Hand Grenades X X
    Plastic Explosives X X
    Realistic Replicas of Explosives X X

REPEAT - ABSOLUTELY NO HAND GRENADES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!P
    Last edited by FWTX; 11-28-2012 at 11:44 PM.

Maturing Puffer Fish nimaimeshinchan's Avatar

Matches..If you are out of 'em,a Zippo pipe lighter!

Zippo all the way here... And as backup a cheapie Bic if I run out of fluid on the go.
    Dale

Quote Originally Posted by [OT] Loki View Post
    bic
    Yup. I have an Old Boy, but when it comes to budget (in other words, what I'll leave the house with), Bic is the one.
    ********.com

Quote Originally Posted by AStateJB View Post
    My Zippo pipe lighter is hands down the best pipe accessory I've bought excluding pipe cleaners. It has the classic look, feel, and "snick" of a Zippo and the design makes lighting easy and foolproof. No longer will I scorch the rim of my pipes trying to get a good light!
    Yup, i love my zippo. A little advice for those who can't find the pipe version, simply send in ANY zippo to the repair service, with a note saying you want a pipe insert. They will give your zippo a tune up(check the hinge, wick, flint, ect), and send it back with BOTH your regular insert, and the pipe insert 100% FREE. It will probably take a few weeks, but it's a free pipe insert.

Smoking makes me go Poo! Shemp75's Avatar

If i can stop being cigars for a second I would buy this.My old lounge had them laying around and i always wanted to get one.

https://www.cigarextras.com/product/...ighters-Vector
    "Before I bed you wench, have a look at my box of Glass top Cohibas!!"

Puffer Fish with some spikes

Bentley Pipe Lighter With Tamper - pro0bent

Bentley Prometheus... You can get them cheaper than that... Refillable, replaceable flint, cheap... If you lose it, no big... Buy a few and most of the parts are exchangeable.

Young Fish

Are there any types of matches or lighters to stay away from that could negatively impact the tobacco? I have heard of this but am slightly skeptic, possibly because I may not be able to recognize the affect.

Puffer Fish with some spikes Baron_Null's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jgreyber52 View Post
    Are there any types of matches or lighters to stay away from that could negatively impact the tobacco? I have heard of this but am slightly skeptic, possibly because I may not be able to recognize the affect.
    Torch lighters are to be avoided, as they scorch the tobacco far beyond what is needed, and also burns the snot out of the pipe if you're not extremely careful.

Some say zippos leave an aftertaste, but, as you can see, for many this is not an issue.

Puffer Fish with many spikes Hambone1's Avatar

I swear I keep putting this in these type of threads but no one ever looks at this lighter. IMO, it is the best pipe lighter out there. NIMROD. Can only be purchased from eBay (eeee baaaay). I love it because you don't have to tilt the lighter to force the flame to go into the pipe. And they can be purchased from under $30.
    Puffers will push you down the slippery slope of PAD/TAD! Get out while you can!

Disillusioned Freethinker AStateJB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hambone1 View Post
    I swear I keep putting this in these type of threads but no one ever looks at this lighter. IMO, it is the best pipe lighter out there. NIMROD. Can only be purchased from eBay (eeee baaaay). I love it because you don't have to tilt the lighter to force the flame to go into the pipe. And they can be purchased from under $30.
    The Nimrod is a sweet lighter. I plan on getting one eventually, butt my Zippo works great!
    Hangin' out with Friends

Midlife crises Puffer mcgreggor57's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hambone1 View Post
    I had one circa 1978ish. Wish it would reappear in some of the old boxes I'm going through. That was a great little lighter.
    Tobacco Cellar: http://www.tobaccocellar.com/mcgreggor57
    Never trust a woman's tears or a dog's limp.

Young Fish

Quote Originally Posted by Baron_Null View Post
    Torch lighters are to be avoided, as they scorch the tobacco far beyond what is needed, and also burns the snot out of the pipe if you're not extremely careful.

Some say zippos leave an aftertaste, but, as you can see, for many this is not an issue.
    Thanks for the heads up!

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mcgreggor57 View Post
    I had one circa 1978ish. Wish it would reappear in some of the old boxes I'm going through. That was a great little lighter.

There is supposed to be a Japanese company that made knock offs of these i remember reading about it 5 or so years back.
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast