Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tamping theories

This is a discussion on Tamping theories within the The Pipe Hobby How-To Discussion Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; I've been smoking a pipe for a few months and I'm loving it so far. I've got a few questions ...

Maturing Puffer Fish Pipe Pastor's Avatar

Tamping theories

I've been smoking a pipe for a few months and I'm loving it so far.

I've got a few questions about tamping the ash. Tamping should be done lightly, but how often?

Also when I tamp I get a pretty much level, flat white ash. Too much tamping or is this right?

Disillusioned Freethinker AStateJB's Avatar

Re: Tamping theories

I tamp for a couple reasons... If I'm having trouble keeping my pipe lit i will tamp lightly to push the burning baccy down into the unburned a little. And I tamp if the draw becomes too light. It's basically just whatever works best for you, your pipe, and your baccy...
    Hangin' out with Friends

How often? I dunno. Remember why we tamp. Fire always wants to burn up, but we want our pipe to burn down. Tamping is done to keep the coal pushed down on unburned tobacco to keep things burning. I tamp when I notice the smoke getting a little thinner. Just like you would use a poker in your fireplace if the fire starts dying. As Josh mentioned, I also use my tamper to tighten up the draw a bit if it gets too loose.

Tamping is another one of those pipe things that you just have to learn by feel as you go. Experiment and find what works for you. If you're enjoying yourself, you're doing it right

Quote Originally Posted by gahdzila View Post
    How often? I dunno. Remember why we tamp. Fire always wants to burn up, but we want our pipe to burn down. Tamping is done to keep the coal pushed down on unburned tobacco to keep things burning. I tamp when I notice the smoke getting a little thinner. Just like you would use a poker in your fireplace if the fire starts dying. As Josh mentioned, I also use my tamper to tighten up the draw a bit if it gets too loose.

Tamping is another one of those pipe things that you just have to learn by feel as you go. Experiment and find what works for you. If you're enjoying yourself, you're doing it right
    Clifford is spot on for the same way that I tend to tamp.

I don't know how often I do it but it helps me tighten my draw and if I feel like my light is going out can be a good start to working it back up.

yea but be careful it took me some time to learn not to tamp to much I would clog a pipe quick.
    also if you do clog it the pipe cleaning run down the stem works for that and moister.
    it really is a learning curve one that I am still on

Puff's Resident Evil Dr. Dr. Plume's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gahdzila View Post

The sage has spoken. All shall listen......
    "The pipe gives a wise man time to think, and a fool something to stick in his mouth." My puny cellar http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Dr.%20Plume

I've made a few tampers recently, and have been making the heads angled at around 45degrees like this....

Briar Meditations: Gabriele Dal Fiume's G-Tamper

Gabrielle Dal Fiume makes these tampers, and the theory behind them is very sound in my opinion! They've made my bowls smoke much better, especially the larger diameter chambers. I think this is the perfect tool for keeping tobacco burning happily in the chamber.

That's interesting Landis.

When I tamp, it seems that I get a solid layer of ash all around my pipe. Maybe this is causing some issues. Anyone else experience this issue in tamping? Can my scoop on my tool help that?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Plume View Post
    The sage has spoken. All shall listen......
    HA! Thanks for the kind words. But I'm not quite a sage at this yet!

Puff's Resident Evil Dr. Dr. Plume's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pipe Pastor View Post
    That's interesting Landis.

When I tamp, it seems that I get a solid layer of ash all around my pipe. Maybe this is causing some issues. Anyone else experience this issue in tamping? Can my scoop on my tool help that?
    I mean yeah you are compacting the ash with the tamp which is helping the flame go down. What issues do you think this is causing? I mean if you do tamp too hard you clogg airways otherwise this should b helping.
    "The pipe gives a wise man time to think, and a fool something to stick in his mouth." My puny cellar http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Dr.%20Plume

Tobacco isn't burning on the sides well. Not much airflow from the topside either. Just wondering if when I tamp down the ash if somehow having it flat all the way across instead of a concentration in the middle causes it to go out or dottle on the bottom.

I'm not sure about this, but when I smoke a cigar I make sure it's all lit... are you making sure you are lighting it well enough to burn even around the edges instead of just the very center?

maybe not. I'll have to make sure next time I light up.

Quote Originally Posted by Pipe Pastor View Post
    Tobacco isn't burning on the sides well. Not much airflow from the topside either. Just wondering if when I tamp down the ash if somehow having it flat all the way across instead of a concentration in the middle causes it to go out or dottle on the bottom.
    If you mean what I think you mean, then, yes. Sometimes you'll have tobacco burning down in the middle and leaving unburned tobacco up the walls of the pipe. You can certainly use your tamper to scoot the unburned tobacco from the walls down towards the middle and even it out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast