Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 16 to 23 of 23

Blending...

This is a discussion on Blending... within the The Pipe Hobby How-To Discussion Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Originally Posted by jgreyber52 For people who are new to blending, are there any tried and true recipes that could ...

  
  1. #16

    Elder Puffer Fish Leader MarkC's Avatar


     

    Re: Blending...

    Quote Originally Posted by jgreyber52 View Post
    For people who are new to blending, are there any tried and true recipes that could be followed just to get the feel and experience of creating a blend?
    One thing you can try to start out (this is from what I'm doing) is take blends that already exist, and try blending them together. If you have, for instance, a lat bomb that you think you'd really love if the latakia was just a bit lighter, toss in some virginia and see what the result is. Or you can do as I did and mix two virginias to see what the effect is. (In my example, I was surprised to find that, even using two parts HOTW to one part Red Ribbon, the Red Ribbon really dominates the blend). One caveat: Once you mix up your baccy, you really need to let it sit for a while to settle before sampling, or you're not really getting the effect of the blend.
    ********.com

  2. #17

    Disillusioned Freethinker AStateJB's Avatar


     

    Re: Blending...

    Quote Originally Posted by lostdog13 View Post
    Curiosity is getting the better of me Josh. So, after I drop ship your mailbox into the stoneage I will foolishly request a sample of your LOTR blends to enjoy in this wonderful vacation paradise. You just have to come up with a fair price for said sample. So it will work this way; I dropship your mailbox into the stoneage, then we declare a ceasefire so that I may purchase tastey LOTR samples, puff math is outlawed for the duration of this transaction, we all sit back and enjoy yummy baccy. Sound good?
    Do you realize how difficult it would be for me to follow such terms???
    Hangin' out with Friends

  3. #18

    Puffer Fish with some spikes houncer's Avatar


     

    Re: Blending...

    Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    Once you mix up your baccy, you really need to let it sit for a while to settle before sampling, or you're not really getting the effect of the blend.
    Mark what do you think is happening while the tobacco is settling & how long does it need to do that? Are little "flavor bits" moving from latakia to ribbon, etc?

  4. #19

    Disillusioned Freethinker AStateJB's Avatar


     

    Re: Blending...

    Quote Originally Posted by houncer View Post
    Mark what do you think is happening while the tobacco is settling & how long does it need to do that? Are little "flavor bits" moving from latakia to ribbon, etc?
    The flavors in pipe baccy marry and mature sort of like in a cigar. With a fresh blend you will get sudden and distinct flavor transitions. After a while the different components meld and you get a steady flavor.
    Hangin' out with Friends

  5. #20

    Young Fish


     

    Re: Blending...

    Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    One thing you can try to start out (this is from what I'm doing) is take blends that already exist, and try blending them together. If you have, for instance, a lat bomb that you think you'd really love if the latakia was just a bit lighter, toss in some virginia and see what the result is. Or you can do as I did and mix two virginias to see what the effect is. (In my example, I was surprised to find that, even using two parts HOTW to one part Red Ribbon, the Red Ribbon really dominates the blend). One caveat: Once you mix up your baccy, you really need to let it sit for a while to settle before sampling, or you're not really getting the effect of the blend.

    Thanks, I think I will dive in and see what happens. I will be sure to report back on how my blend turns out.

  6. #21

    Elder Puffer Fish Leader MarkC's Avatar


     

    Re: Blending...

    Quote Originally Posted by AStateJB View Post
    The flavors in pipe baccy marry and mature sort of like in a cigar. With a fresh blend you will get sudden and distinct flavor transitions. After a while the different components meld and you get a steady flavor.
    Yeah, it's like the difference between chili that's just been thrown together and chili that's been simmering for hours.
    ********.com

  7. #22

    In a new sandbox lostdog13's Avatar


     

    Re: Blending...

    Quote Originally Posted by AStateJB View Post
    Do you realize how difficult it would be for me to follow such terms???
    should not be difficult at all. It is very simple...step 1) agree to terms
    step 3) enjoy yummy tobacco
    Editing and deleting are two different things. You edit a whole by deleting a part; you cannot edit a part by deleting it. Webster can clear this up for you.

  8. #23

    Disillusioned Freethinker AStateJB's Avatar


     

    Re: Blending...

    Quote Originally Posted by lostdog13 View Post
    should not be difficult at all. It is very simple...step 1) agree to terms
    step 3) enjoy yummy tobacco
    You know it's never that simple, John, but I'll try.
    Hangin' out with Friends

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •