Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Blending...

This is a discussion on Blending... within the The Pipe Hobby How-To Discussion Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Do any of you guys blend your own? I ask because I have seen some tins that are just a ...

Blending...

Do any of you guys blend your own? I ask because I have seen some tins that are just a particular type of tobacco sold for blending. If any of you do this, what do you use and how do you measure each type?
    Editing and deleting are two different things. You edit a whole by deleting a part; you cannot edit a part by deleting it. Webster can clear this up for you.

Disillusioned Freethinker AStateJB's Avatar

Re: Blending...

I just started doing this actually. Blending my own baccies is almost as enjoyable as smoking my pipe IMO. What I use just depends on what kind of flavor I'm going for. As far as measuring, I blend by weight (certain amount, by weight, of each component tobacco). I bought a digital dietary scale at Wal-Mart that measures in increments as small as a gram for this.

Here's my first 3 blends. Shelob, Smaug, and Balrog, made for my LOTR Smoke-along.

Sorry, the recipes are secret until I bomb them to a few people and get their opinions. Hmm... I just had an idea...
    Hangin' out with Friends

Maturing Puffer Fish Pipe Pastor's Avatar

very cool. Love the idea of blending. Definitely don't know enough yet though. Maybe one day soon!

I wouldn't even know where to begin with percentage of this tobacco vs that tobacco. It's why I didn't participate in the P&C blending last year (or was it earlier this year?).
    Never trust anyone over 30.

Quote Originally Posted by szyzk View Post
    I wouldn't even know where to begin with percentage of this tobacco vs that tobacco. It's why I didn't participate in the P&C blending last year (or was it earlier this year?).
    It's not as tough as it seems really.... I did a lot of sniffing (of the blending baccies and the blend) while I was blending. It's really interesting to see how each addition/change affects the overall aroma. Smelling all the baccies individually also helps you pick them out in the blend as you smoke, so you can tweak the blend a little if you want.
    Hangin' out with Friends

Quote Originally Posted by AStateJB View Post
    I just started doing this actually. Blending my own baccies is almost as enjoyable as smoking my pipe IMO. What I use just depends on what kind of flavor I'm going for. As far as measuring, I blend by weight (certain amount, by weight, of each component tobacco). I bought a digital dietary scale at Wal-Mart that measures in increments as small as a gram for this.

Here's my first 3 blends. Shelob, Smaug, and Balrog, made for my LOTR Smoke-along.

Sorry, the recipes are secret until I bomb them to a few people and get their opinions. Hmm... I just had an idea...
    I would be worried about your idea, but you don't have my current address; so you can scheme all you want

It's not as tough as it seems really.... I did a lot of sniffing (of the blending baccies and the blend) while I was blending. It's really interesting to see how each addition/change affects the overall aroma. Smelling all the baccies individually also helps you pick them out in the blend as you smoke, so you can tweak the blend a little if you want.
    Not sure if I want to play around with this here or wait until I get back to Germany. Definitely interested in this aspect of the hobby though.
    Editing and deleting are two different things. You edit a whole by deleting a part; you cannot edit a part by deleting it. Webster can clear this up for you.

Quote Originally Posted by lostdog13 View Post
    I would be worried about your idea, but you don't have my current address; so you can scheme all you want
    Johnny, ya ain't playin fair!
    Hangin' out with Friends

Johnny, ya ain't playin fair!
    How is that not fair?

How is that not fair?
    It's just not. Cuz I said it's not. Cuz I want to bomb you again!
    Hangin' out with Friends

It's just not. Cuz I said it's not. Cuz I want to bomb you again!
    nope, no more unprovoked bombs from you Josh. Gotta let me hit you at least once

nope, no more unprovoked bombs from you Josh. Gotta let me hit you at least once
    I don't gotta... Did I mention I'm moving?
    Hangin' out with Friends

I don't gotta... Did I mention I'm moving?
    yea ya gotta...ha ha

Puffer Fish with some spikes houncer's Avatar

I emailed P&C to see if they would be doing another blending competition this year and the answer was "no". Maybe we should have our own contest here. Hmmm.........,

Young Fish

For people who are new to blending, are there any tried and true recipes that could be followed just to get the feel and experience of creating a blend?

Curiosity is getting the better of me Josh. So, after I drop ship your mailbox into the stoneage I will foolishly request a sample of your LOTR blends to enjoy in this wonderful vacation paradise. You just have to come up with a fair price for said sample. So it will work this way; I dropship your mailbox into the stoneage, then we declare a ceasefire so that I may purchase tastey LOTR samples, puff math is outlawed for the duration of this transaction, we all sit back and enjoy yummy baccy. Sound good?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast