Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

What should be avoided when smoking pipe

This is a discussion on What should be avoided when smoking pipe within the The Pipe Hobby How-To Discussion Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; I've been reading posts about people saying smoking it too hot and was wondering if that was because of preference ...

Re: What should be avoided when smoking pipe

I've been reading posts about people saying smoking it too hot and was wondering if that was because of preference or it would damage the pipe.
    While it's possible to damage a pipe by smoking too hot (briar is wood, after all - and corncobs are, well, corncobs...), the more likely problems with smoking too hot involve scorching one's tongue (the most prevalent form of tongue bite) or altering the flavor of the tobacco. I'm still enough of a noob that I have no idea whether I'm altering the flavor adversely when I puff too much, but I have noticed that as I slow down, my tongue doesn't need quite so much Biotene as it used to...

Ask me why I dinged Black Mister Moo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Phred View Post
    ...it's possible to damage a pipe by smoking too hot...
    This is true. For some it is even habitual.

"But with a little bit of luck You'll run amok!"

No longer a community member.

Young Puffer Fish

I know you need to rest the pipe between smokes to let it cool. Also can anyone tell me the time frame between puffs (similar to a cigar and the saying of a puff every minute or so). I don't want to cause damage because I am smoking too fast.

No longer a community member.

Quote Originally Posted by Squints View Post
    I know you need to rest the pipe between smokes to let it cool. Also can anyone tell me the time frame between puffs (similar to a cigar and the saying of a puff every minute or so). I don't want to cause damage because I am smoking too fast.
    It really depends on the pipe, the type of tobacco, and your puffing style. Cheaper briar pipes tend to overheat quicker, whereas I have never been able to get a meerschaum pipe really hot. In my experience the tobacco is the biggest variable- particularly how wet or dry it is when you smoke it. A rule of thumb that was told to me is if the bowl becomes uncomfortable to touch against your cheek then it is time to let it rest for a little bit.

Young Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias Lutz View Post
    It really depends on the pipe, the type of tobacco, and your puffing style. Cheaper briar pipes tend to overheat quicker, whereas I have never been able to get a meerschaum pipe really hot. In my experience the tobacco is the biggest variable- particularly how wet or dry it is when you smoke it. A rule of thumb that was told to me is if the bowl becomes uncomfortable to touch against your cheek then it is time to let it rest for a little bit.
    Ok Thank You

Quote Originally Posted by steinr1 View Post
    Teenagers are mainly annoying because they are between 13 and 19 years old. And I am no longer in that bracket.
    Hey! I'm still in that bracket for another year and some odd months.

Quote Originally Posted by Tulpa View Post
    Hey! I'm still in that bracket for another year and some odd months.
    How annoying! I now have to tick the highest bracket in those type of questionnaires.

Over 50? YES - What's it to you?
    "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

Philosopher Extraordinai Gigmaster's Avatar

Be careful when smoking your pipe in the shower (you don't want to know how I know this....).

Everclear and/or moonshine.........

Philosopher Extraordinai Gigmaster's Avatar

Rabid anti-smoking NAZIs

My pipes won't survive-EZ NeverBend's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gigmaster View Post
    Rabid anti-smoking NAZIs
    In 1990, I was walking in NYC on 6th Ave and 53rd, smoking a special pipe when a woman approached me, making guttural sounds, her eyes wide and crazed and her hand extended like a suffering mother reaching for the child she never expected to see again.

My immediate reaction was empathy until her hand wrapped around the bowl of my pipe and she yanked to free it from my mouth! She led me like an obstinate oxen, my head swivelling back and forth, my eyes searching for a soft place to put down the fragile packages that occupied both of my hands. Her hand dipped low and as my head and body followed, I gently laid the package I held in my left hand on the ground and snatched her by the wrist behind where her hand still enveloped my wooden friend.

She began grunting and twisting herself sideways to free her wrist from my grasp while never relenting hers. As we dipped to the right I laid my other package on the ground and seized her hand holding my pipe. I increased the pressure on her wrist endeavoring to relent her grasp.

"He's hurting her!"
    "That man attacked that woman!"
    "Help that woman, help her!"

I had only been aware of a street vendor with his yellow and green umbrella shielding his offerings but now six people stood at arms distance in a semi-circle like spectators at a bare knuckle brawl. I felt her hand release the pipe and I backed away from her. She scurried behind the fortification of her new found friends.

I was fortunate that the vendor knew my attacker and had seen her attack. Six well meaning people had seen only a moment of the action and decided that the woman was being wronged and they remained skeptical despite the vendors rising to my defense. Their manner suggested a lingering belief that we, the vendor and I, were in cahoots.

It helped the vendors business as everyone bought something from him and as he was occupied for a few minutes, I gathered my packages. My attacker had disappeared as I replaced the pipe in my mouth and discovered that it was sore along with my teeth and jaw.

"Thank you", I said to the vendor.
    "She's crazy - hates smokers. You were smoking, right?"
    "Actually, no. It wasn't lit.", I pointed to the empty tobacco chamber.
    "Doesn't matter to her, she'll think that she smelled it."

I thanked the vendor and extended my hand with a $10 bill for coffee and a muffin not intending to accept the change.

"No charge", the vendor's hand waving me off.
    "Nobody should get treated the way you just did. Bad start to the morning, so my treat."
    "Yes, but if you hadn't been here and spoken up, I might have been in some really hot water."

He held up his hand again and I realized that refusing my benefactor's hospitality and graciousness would insult the man I wanted to thank.

That's why I like street vendors!

Quote Originally Posted by Commander Quan View Post
    I would caution you to avoid running or sneezing while clenching.
    Sage advice even though I would be hard pressed to remember the last time I ran.
    I don't always drink beer,,,
    OK, yes I do

Full grown Puffer Fish bigLuke5595's Avatar

I am personally not a believer in spending hundreds of bucks on hundreds of pipes, put you should at least have one pipe for each different TYPE of tobacco you smoke (if you smoke english, aromatic, and virginia's in the same pipe, eventually they will all taste the same)

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish McFortner's Avatar

Never, never, never clean or disassemble your meerschaum pipe until it has cooled down 110% because meerschaum is very soft and fragile while hot and moist. I once tried removing the stem while smoking one of mine and needless to say I pulled the shank right off the bowl!
    Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.
    (An Eastern Orthodox prayer. I need all the help I can get right now....)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast