Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

How To... Build Cake?

This is a discussion on How To... Build Cake? within the The Pipe Hobby How-To Discussion Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; HOLY CRAP!...

Disillusioned Freethinker AStateJB's Avatar

Re: How To... Build Cake?

HOLY CRAP!
    Hangin' out with Friends

Quote Originally Posted by AStateJB View Post
    HOLY CRAP!
    He just texted me. Funny thing? HE JUST REAMED IT! I thought that it looked really open for his usual pipe use. Says that it keeps away tongue bite and avoids wasting tobacco.

Yah - my dad's weird.
    Pro Patria Vigilans................... My tobacco cellar

That is just amazing. I can't stop laughing!
    ********.com

Disillusioned Freethinker AStateJB's Avatar

Sorry, Brian, I wasn't trying to derail your thread. Like Dan said, just enjoy your pipe. Cake will happen eventually.
    Hangin' out with Friends

Quote Originally Posted by AStateJB View Post
    Sorry, Brian, I wasn't trying to derail your thread. Like Dan said, just enjoy your pipe. Cake will happen eventually.
    That and one man's cake is another man's base coat - pipers seem to like varying levels of it. You'll find your groove in time.
    Pro Patria Vigilans................... My tobacco cellar

No worries, I am just glad to start a conversation and if someone posts a crazy picture to laugh about, I'm great with that too. Just enjoying the conversation.

I had a friend tell me when I'm done smoking to put my thumb over the top of the bowl and shake the ash a little bit to cover the walls of the bowl with some of the ash. Is this recommended? I saw a post earlier about not depending on ash to create cake but if I did it every now and then (not too much) would it be ok?

Plenty of people do that, Brian, and it does build up the cake faster. I'm the one who posted about not depending on ash, but I did that at first as well. I personally prefer not to, but that's just me.

The one thing you want to make sure to do is to smoke the tobacco as completely as possible, down to the bottom of the bowl. The cake on the bottom is where new smokers generally struggle, but it just requires smoking the bowl all the way down.
    ********.com

Maturing Puffer Fish Pipe Pastor's Avatar

How cool do you allow the just smoked bowl to get before dumping the ash? Does this make a difference when building cake?

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    Plenty of people do that, Brian, and it does build up the cake faster. I'm the one who posted about not depending on ash, but I did that at first as well. I personally prefer not to, but that's just me.

The one thing you want to make sure to do is to smoke the tobacco as completely as possible, down to the bottom of the bowl. The cake on the bottom is where new smokers generally struggle, but it just requires smoking the bowl all the way down.
    Thanks Mark for the good input. I have noticed new pipes tend to struggle more towards the bottom of the bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by Pipe Pastor View Post
    How cool do you allow the just smoked bowl to get before dumping the ash? Does this make a difference when building cake?
    I dump it right away, but then I don't really want the ash in the cake. (Keep in mind that I'm in the minority position here!) Leaving the ash in would allow the residue to dry with the ash still clinging, building cake faster.

Off topic: Residue seems like an odd word. If this was a different kind of pipe forum, I'd say resin; what's the term for tobacco?
    ********.com

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    I dump it right away, but then I don't really want the ash in the cake. (Keep in mind that I'm in the minority position here!) Leaving the ash in would allow the residue to dry with the ash still clinging, building cake faster.

Off topic: Residue seems like an odd word. If this was a different kind of pipe forum, I'd say resin; what's the term for tobacco?
    Tar?
    Now with 96.5% more Wub Wub! http://www.tobaccocellar.com/NikonNUT

Quote Originally Posted by Desertlifter View Post

He says that it saves tobacco since he gets a bowl from just a pinch of half-half.
    I've seen stacks of estate pipes with masses of cake in them. I'm sure the original owners were spinning in their graves when I reamed it away. Odd thing is that all advice seems to be against this (Trim it to the thickness of a dime or it'll crack the pipe - which may have happened here, but that's obviously not a problem). 30 years ago this is the effect we strove for. Big cake and a tiny bowl for just a pinch or two of tobacco. I never got this far but it was "respectable" (Burley based Edgeworth Sliced helped) and I nearly killed a mate of mine when he "helped out" by cleaning my pipe for me. One of the owd duffers we drank with (a senior computing lecturer) had a Falcon that was so bunged up that he had to refill after a single "hit" on it. Light, inhale, tap out (actually - unscrew and poke out with a matchstick; it was that small) and repeat all night long. Kudos to your old man.
    "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2