Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How To... Build Cake?

This is a discussion on How To... Build Cake? within the The Pipe Hobby How-To Discussion Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; What are the best ways to build cake in your pipe bowl? I have been smoking my pipe and have ...

Question How To... Build Cake?

What are the best ways to build cake in your pipe bowl? I have been smoking my pipe and have some built but didn't know if there were some better ways to help build it up. Also, how long should it take to have some good cake in there if smoking the pipe 2-3 times a week? What I have built already is pretty even... which I like.

Re: How To... Build Cake?

I should probably add that I saw a friend of mine's estate pipe he got with a good amount of cake and I was a little jealous of the cake in it. I don't want an estate pipe because I want to be able to build my own. I feel like if I can work on it and make the build up good it will give me some good experience and knowledge for caring for the pipe. I like working on things which makes me appreciate what I have a little more.

Maturing Puffer Fish

On a new pipe I smoke the pipe with the bowl 1/4th full for a week, than half full for a week, and than full from there on out. Every time the bowl is finished I dump the ash and dottle out, put a pipe cleaner through the stem and shank ( but only after letting it cool down!). To finish it, I blow one or two short and strong puffs of air to get some ash and left over baccy' out. By doing this you will notice a nice cake start to build.

The reason you let the pipe cool down is you risk breaking the.... the words not coming to mind but I'll call it the connector. (Where the stem inserts into the shank).

I'm assuming your smoking a briar, I case you're not there is no need to build cake on a corn cob, meerschaum, or clay pipe. The cake aids in smoking your briar but because it will expand as you smoke it could and one day will crack your meer, cob or clay. On that note I reccomend keeping the width of your cake the same as a dime or quarter, just like a cake in other non-briar pipes too much could crack the briar.. or so I've read.

My cat's Chief of Staff El wedo del milagro's Avatar

The real answer: Just smoke yer pipe. Cake happens. Soon enough you will be asking how to slow down cake buildup.

The answer ya want: Don't use a pipe cleaner, or papertowel, on yer bowl after smoking. A bit of ash left on the sides speeds up cake accumulation.

Quote Originally Posted by El wedo del milagro View Post
    The real answer: Just smoke yer pipe. Cake happens. Soon enough you will be asking how to slow down cake buildup.

The answer ya want: Don't use a pipe cleaner, or papertowel, on yer bowl after smoking. A bit of ash left on the sides speeds up cake accumulation.
    +1 to this. Just smoke it and don't worry about it. A few months from now, you'll be asking "how do I get rid of all this cake?!?"

As an FYI - burleys seem to build cake faster than virginias or orientals. So if you have multiple pipes and smoke several different blends, you might consider smoking your burley blends out of the pipe that you want to build cake in. If you only have one pipe or don't smoke burleys, don't worry about it, the above still applies

Interesting. I gently swab the ash out of the pipe. I think the reliance of ash in cake leads to a weaker cake. I also break in a new pipe with Virginias rather than Burleys; it takes a lot longer for the cake to build, but it seems to be less prone to crumbling or chipping when you ream. But whatever your technique, the take away here is that this is a very temporary concern: the cake will build and you can't stop it.
    ********.com

I guess I have some smoking to do!

Puffer Fish with many spikes Blue_2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pipe30 View Post
    I guess I have some smoking to do!
    Have at it, and have fun while you're doing it! Cake happens.

Disillusioned Freethinker AStateJB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blue_2 View Post
    Cake happens.

Hangin' out with Friends

wow... haha...

Quote Originally Posted by pipe30 View Post
    wow... haha...
    Yeah... Poor Oom Paul! The owner should be ashamed!
    Hangin' out with Friends

Quote Originally Posted by AStateJB View Post
    That actually looks a lot like my dad's pipe - only with less cake. I texted my mom to see if she would send a pic - they're in Hawaii.
    Pro Patria Vigilans................... My tobacco cellar

Quote Originally Posted by Desertlifter View Post
    That actually looks a lot like my dad's pipe - only with less cake. I texted my mom to see if she would send a pic - they're in Hawaii.
    That's awful! What's your dad's address so I can bomb him a reamer?
    Hangin' out with Friends

Maturing Puffer Fish Pipe Pastor's Avatar

That's crazy haha

That's awful! What's your dad's address so I can bomb him a reamer?

He says that it saves tobacco since he gets a bowl from just a pinch of half-half.
    Pro Patria Vigilans................... My tobacco cellar

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast