Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

meerschaum pipes

This is a discussion on meerschaum pipes within the The Pipe Hobby How-To Discussion Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; I have been thinking about getting a meerschaum and I am interested in cheap ones. so what is the down ...

meerschaum pipes

I have been thinking about getting a meerschaum and I am interested in cheap ones. so what is the down side to the cheaper ones?
    whats the down fall to something like this Small Hand Carved Claw Lattice Meerschaum Pipes | eBay
    verses something in the 100+ range.
    I have a couple of briars but mostly use my cobs. do these heat up more then say higher priced ones?
    thanks for the input I know it is just 20.00 bucks but if it is not worth it I would like to spend that money for something else.

Pale Horse

Re: meerschaum pipes

pipesandcigars.com has some that are in the $50 range that are block meerschaum

The main thing you need to worry about with meerschaum pipes, especially cheap/no name brand ones, is that they might be made from pressed meerschaum. Whereas block meerschaum pipes are carved from solid chunks of the material, pressed meerschaum is the powder that has been pressed together and while I'm not sure of their smokeability, they have the reputation to fall apart. If you buy meerschaum pipes from reputable makers and stores you shouldn't have to worry whether you are getting block meerschaum, it will be. If you're buying from a no-name maker and retailer, you might not be getting a quality smoking pipe

The only cheap meers I've had have been pure crap as far as the draw. I wouldn't mind it being pressed meer if it smoked well, but they don't. Do yourself a favor and get one from a reputable manufacturer. There's no point in buying a pipe that you'll end up not smoking.
    ********.com

Puff's Resident Evil Dr. Dr. Plume's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Longer ash View Post
    I have been thinking about getting a meerschaum and I am interested in cheap ones. so what is the down side to the cheaper ones?
    whats the down fall to something like this Small Hand Carved Claw Lattice Meerschaum Pipes | eBay
    verses something in the 100+ range.
    I have a couple of briars but mostly use my cobs. do these heat up more then say higher priced ones?
    thanks for the input I know it is just 20.00 bucks but if it is not worth it I would like to spend that money for something else.
    So just saw your post thought I would throw my two cents in. If you want to get into meer for 20 bucks your will be disappointed. I think this is why meers have a bad rap. Now you can get into meers for a lower price the key is buy estate meers however you are going to not want to do this on eBay for several reasons. One I see a lot of meers especially estates that do not have makers marks so telling who made them online is very difficult. Two there is no way to guarantee it block meerschaum which is a must. And lastly you want to be able to know the exterior condition of the wax job and all that. Pressed meers can fall apart, altinok on their website says they can explode because they are not meant for the temp, and they do not color at all. As to their smoking I cannot say. However all is not lost a reputable dealer like smoking pipes inspects cleans and knows a lot about the estate meers they sell. I just picked up a used imp for 55 bucks in near perfect condition. They get new ones all the time. Sign up for their email news letter and everytime they list new estate pipes they email you. And they have a contact function allowing you to ask questions about a particular pipe. I am sure their are other reputable estate sellers too but this is my experience. In short save 50 to 70 bucks and get an estate block meer pipe you will be happier.
    "The pipe gives a wise man time to think, and a fool something to stick in his mouth." My puny cellar http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Dr.%20Plume

Puffer Fish with some spikes

Someone here is going to have to help me with this because I have not seen one of these in thirty years. I used to have a friend (former marine) who was really into pipes, he had a gorgeous Meer that he had done a wonderful job coloring over the years. One day while out, I saw his Meer and the coloring wasn''t as good and instead of the Amber mouthpiece it had a sort of plain looked almost yellow stem.

When I asked about it, he explained it was a second by the same maker as his other pipe from the same maker. He said that during the carving process if small defects occurred during carving that the maker would sell them as seconds. Since the logo was on the stem, these pipes were fitted with plain stems and sold as the seconds they were. He then pointed out several tiny defects in the lattice of the pipe.

I have not seen one of these in probably 30 years, so I do not know if they still exist (not much into pipes) but in case someone had better knowledge and a source I wanted to mention it.

Thanks

Jason just got an email from sp updating estate pipes found these two beauties after only five min of searching. Here are some links one 75 bucks one 70 both in near perfect condition simply looking for a new home. Paneled horn similar to mine except smaller and not a sitter and two a calabash. Here are some links to look at. Al you have to do is save the money they come and go fast though.
    Misc. Estate Unknown Meerschaum Smooth Panel Horn with Silver Band (with Case) Pipes at Smoking Pipes .com
    Misc. Estate SMS Meerschaum Calabash with Case Pipes at Smoking Pipes .com
    "The pipe gives a wise man time to think, and a fool something to stick in his mouth." My puny cellar http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Dr.%20Plume

hhmm I like that Calabash one maybe if it is still there next Thursday ...... hahaha thanks for the heads up Dave

Man that paneled horn went fast but calabash is still there. If its not in a week don't worry about it. That's the second estate meer calabash I have seen this week there will be more just keep your eye out.

these got me interested Meerschaum Smoking Pipe with Case Stand Pfeife Pipa Lattice AP1105 | eBay it ships from turkey for under 40.00 and says it is from block meer

nurdak | eBay

these got me interested Meerschaum Smoking Pipe with Case Stand Pfeife Pipa Lattice AP1105 | eBay it ships from turkey for under 40.00 and says it is from block meer

nurdak | eBay
    Ah yes well here is a warning about the term block meer. I have read in my reading and maybe I can find the article yet again that said that there is composite powder meer as you know but some cheap makers are taking chunks of meer that are not big enough to make a whole pipe gluing them together and calling it block meer because it is techniquely not composite. I am suspicious of the pipe you see here for a few reasons. One it does not say genuine block meer it just says block meer. Second all pictures avoid the drilling. I would not buy a pipe like this without looking at the drilling especially if it is not a reputable brand like imp or altinok. And it does not seem to be in right price range for a new meer. Also note that zero measurements are given of the pipe. Reputable dealers of meers give these dimensions whether they are estate or new. This maybe something you can just ask the seller but still all screams to me don't buy. Personally this is the reason I won't buy meers off of eBay. However just going on eBay I did see several estates of cao meers and meers listed as genuine block but most have no return policy. Stick with a reputable dealer on estate meers my advice. If you buy new buy from a popular well known brand. Again great estate meers can be had as little as 50 to 70 bucks from one of these dealers. My advice as hard as it is, is to wait and go for a quality estate meer. It will be worth it and you will enjoy it!

Quote Originally Posted by gcbright View Post
    Someone here is going to have to help me with this because I have not seen one of these in thirty years. I used to have a friend (former marine) who was really into pipes, he had a gorgeous Meer that he had done a wonderful job coloring over the years. One day while out, I saw his Meer and the coloring wasn''t as good and instead of the Amber mouthpiece it had a sort of plain looked almost yellow stem.

When I asked about it, he explained it was a second by the same maker as his other pipe from the same maker. He said that during the carving process if small defects occurred during carving that the maker would sell them as seconds. Since the logo was on the stem, these pipes were fitted with plain stems and sold as the seconds they were. He then pointed out several tiny defects in the lattice of the pipe.

I have not seen one of these in probably 30 years, so I do not know if they still exist (not much into pipes) but in case someone had better knowledge and a source I wanted to mention it.

Thanks
    Not sure on this but it would make sense since many reputable brands of meers say that any flaw in the final stages causes the pipe to be disqualified. So I haven't a clue.

That makes complete sense Dave and I will wait. They sure looked good after a few shots.

That makes complete sense Dave and I will wait. They sure looked good after a few shots.
    So does everything!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Plume View Post
    Ah yes well here is a warning about the term block meer. I have read in my reading and maybe I can find the article yet again that said that there is composite powder meer as you know but some cheap makers are taking chunks of meer that are not big enough to make a whole pipe gluing them together and calling it block meer because it is techniquely not composite. I am suspicious of the pipe you see here for a few reasons. One it does not say genuine block meer it just says block meer. Second all pictures avoid the drilling. I would not buy a pipe like this without looking at the drilling especially if it is not a reputable brand like imp or altinok. And it does not seem to be in right price range for a new meer. Also note that zero measurements are given of the pipe. Reputable dealers of meers give these dimensions whether they are estate or new. This maybe something you can just ask the seller but still all screams to me don't buy. Personally this is the reason I won't buy meers off of eBay. However just going on eBay I did see several estates of cao meers and meers listed as genuine block but most have no return policy. Stick with a reputable dealer on estate meers my advice. If you buy new buy from a popular well known brand. Again great estate meers can be had as little as 50 to 70 bucks from one of these dealers. My advice as hard as it is, is to wait and go for a quality estate meer. It will be worth it and you will enjoy it!
    Estate is a good idea. And seconds used to be a fair bet; not sure about these days. In "the good old days" there were meerschaums made on the Isle of Man for many quality makers - Peterson, Barling, Manxsman, etc. Seconds from these were usually just failed for slight imperfections in the material rather than any construction errors. As they are machine made pipes that would be a process failure and quite rare. These guys were craftsmen and not simple machine minders. Real stinkers seem to have been tossed away entirely - I've never heard of any. My first meerschaum was one of these bought 30 years ago. I now recognise the style and stem as Barling. Unmarked stem, but otherwise identical (and constructed to the same high standard). Bowl was a bit pitted (really very few - I've added more dings than those over the years myself) but I couldn't see any problem then and still don't see it now. It's coloured nicely and smokes fine. I don't smoke it enough but I'll try to get it dark enough at some point so that the pits no longer stand out. They're not that bad anyway.

I would be more careful of the Turkish pipes of today. Stampings for "Genuine Block Meerschaum" could well mean very little. I've got a Chinese Rolex - they don't worry about the truth of their markings and I dare say neither do the less reputable Turks. Meerschaum is a rarer material these days and the temptation to pass off is greater. I've never heard of the practice of stitching bits of meerschaum together to make it into a "Block". Seems a lot of effort when it can all be crushed and bound with resin - and still stamped or just pressed "Block Meerschaum". Don't even need to start with any meerschaum...

I'd go for an obviously older estate pipe. There was little need to fake these years ago. An unmarked or little known name one can go privately on eBay for next to nothing. Hardly a risk; bet it smokes well anyway.
    "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

Here's a good all around article on some meer stuff. Meerschaum Pipes | The #1 Source for Pipes and Pipe Tobacco Information

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast