Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Dedicate a pipe?

This is a discussion on Dedicate a pipe? within the The Pipe Hobby How-To Discussion Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; My PAD has grown my pipe collection enough that I should probably think about dedicating pipes to certain blends. So ...

Puffer Fish with some spikes slap1914's Avatar

Re: Dedicate a pipe?

My PAD has grown my pipe collection enough that I should probably think about dedicating pipes to certain blends. So far I've just be rotating pipes based on usage. (Today's pipe gets cleaned and then put to the back of the rotation) My idea was to smoke a variety of blends in each pipe. I have noticied that some blends taste better in a certain pipe.

I have a couple of pipes dedicated to smoking cigar nubs and the rest of my pipes are dedicated to smoking mostly English blends. I do not experiment with tobacco, I know what I like and tend to have about five or so blends that I stay with. All are compatible with each other.
    I don't always drink beer,,,
    OK, yes I do

I have a pipe I had been smoking a latakia blend from (blue mountain) and decided to smoke some Esoterica Penzance (has latakia in it) and think it went well. As far as the taste, I could still taste the latakia (I assume that is what I am mostly tasting from both blends) and think it did well. I could tell a little bit of difference but the "spiciness" was still noticeable but didn't affect much since both have it.

I may have screwed up that review and not have a clue what I'm talking about but that seems to be my thoughts after smoking a different latakia blend from a pipe I had been smoking a latakia from. Either way, I think that pipe will be for those type blends so now I can experiment more with others... I may still need some more pipes anyway but I'm working on it.

Maturing Puffer Fish JohnnyDarkside's Avatar

As a related quandary, wouldn't ghosting only last so long? I'm sure it depends on previous and current blends. Smoke a mild Virginia out of pipe that was used for oriental heavy blends would ghost worse than vise versa, but wouldn't the ghosting dissipate as the new blend was smoked and built onto the cake?

I plan to give myself an Xmas gift by picking up the cob pack and Sweet Virgina packs from P&C along with picking up a new briar. This will bring my collection to 6. Figured use the cobs to test, my Leo for lats, the churchwarden for the more mellow Virginias, and probably burleys with the new.

It's true that ghosting isn't forever, but it can be darn persistent in some cases.
    ********.com

Maturing Puffer Fish

When I first got a pipe I received a pamphlet that said you needed to get a dedicated pipe for each tobacco...damn near scared me away. I'm not a major pipe guy, but I certainly wouldn't recommend that just starting out. You'll price yourself out of the hobby real quick.

I don't have many pipes by any means, but I am finally really noticing how shape and size make a difference in the quality of the smoke for a particular blend, not just with the ghosting issue. For instance, my elephant's foot (you can see it in my profile pic) is amazingly .....amazing with Pembroke. Keeping in mind that Pembroke is pretty much my favorite blend for the moment and I have smoked it in all of my pipes, when I pack it into that huge Bjarne it is bliss. Good in my saucer, interesting in my cobs - the sweetness that they impart to the smoke brings out the cognac - but holycrapthisisamazing in the elephant's foot. It is also nice knowing that if I am reaching for a VA or a VaPer that my Stanwell stands ready wholly lacking Latakia. As to dedicating a pipe for blends, I dunno. I think that some pipes are just plain better for some blends, but I wouldn't go farther than type - a pipe for Latakia blends, a pipe for Lakelands, a pipe for aros, and a pipe for VA/VaPers.

Haven't really figured where burleys fit in yet. Does anyone notice a loss in burley-ness when smoking them in VA/VaPer pipes?

Or am I just looking for an excuse to buy another pipe.
    Pro Patria Vigilans................... My tobacco cellar

Quote Originally Posted by Desertlifter View Post
    Haven't really figured where burleys fit in yet. Does anyone notice a loss in burley-ness when smoking them in VA/VaPer pipes?

Or am I just looking for an excuse to buy another pipe.
    I wouldn't call myself an expert, but I do smoke my share of burleys. As far as ghosting, I haven't noticed that burleys ghost at all, so I treat them just like Virginias as far as dedication is concerned - which means I aint skeered to smoke a straight burley in any pipe I own. Burleys smoke just fine in briar (just like Virginias smoke just fine in cobs), but burleys seem to me to shine a little better in a cob....similar to (though not as much so as) the way Virginias shine a bit better in briar.

Haha... Desertlifter, it doesn't take much for me to find an excuse to get a new pipe. I just wish they were cheaper so my wife wouldn't be as upset with me getting another something "I don't need" because I already have some.

This is a really good thread pipe30. As a newbie, this is one of my main questions and concerns because price is involved in buying pipe after pipe. I bought four MM cobs to get a feel for certain blends in one specific pipe. Before going to a briar, hopefully ill arrive at a conclusion. We will see how it all goes.

The guys here are very helpful and I'm learning more and more from being here. If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask even if you think they may've been asked before.

No longer a community member.

I subscribe to the trinity segregation theory others have mentioned (latakias, virginias, aromatics). Of my 24 pipes it is something like a 4/18/6 split repectfully.

Disclaimer - still a n00b here, and so far I've only tried aros and some English/Latakia blends. I warned my wife that this tobacco thing was probably going to make her tea collection look quaint after a while, but for now I'm just working my way through my first dozen blends...

Anyway. I read about dedicating pipes to certain types of tobacco (if not particular blends), and it sounded reasonable. My first two briars have been pretty much dedicated to the B&M aros that I bought initially. I picked up a grab bag of cobs (MM seconds) and a sampler of H&H blends (3 aros, 3 Eng/Lat) plus a tin of Black House - and so far, I've got two cobs for aros, two briars ditto, two cobs for E/L blends, and one strictly for Black House. It just kinda worked out that way - the Great Dane cob smokes like a dream with Black House, and I don't want to jinx it by trying anything else!

As an experiment today, I tried one of the E/L blends in my briar churchwarden - and it was a disappointment, actually. Tasted kind of bitter and off, and in spite of the tobacco being nice and dry, it gurgled a bit. I think I'll stick to my dedication plan going forward...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2