Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Cellaring questions...

This is a discussion on Cellaring questions... within the The Pipe Hobby How-To Discussion Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Hello all, So as the title says I'm curious about some aspects of the cellaring process. I guess my main ...

Cellaring questions...

Hello all,
    So as the title says I'm curious about some aspects of the cellaring process. I guess my main question revolves around proper storage once the tobacco has been jarred. Is it necessary to keep everything away from light, temp controlled, etc? It seems to me that aside from maintaining moisture levels pipe tobacco is pretty robust stuff but IDK. If anyone wants to share their opinions, set-up, etc. I would be grateful. Thanks every one

- Chris
    Now with 96.5% more Wub Wub! http://www.tobaccocellar.com/NikonNUT

Re: Cellaring questions...

You sound like you come from the cigar side. Once it is in the jar you should not have to worry about moisture level, it is in a sealed jar. I just label my jars, put them in a drawer or box and come back to them about once a year to check that the lid is tight. Pipe tobacco is easy to maintain. Any opened tins get transferred to a jar, occasionally check that tins have not lost seal. 2oz.(weight) tobacco = 8oz. (volume) jar. That is all I can think of on the subject right now.

Avoid direct SUNlight. Room light will be okay. Temps aren't a major factor but overly moist tobaccos may mold in higher temps. Best in a drawer or in the top of a closet. I keep all mine in a box in the closet floor, with no problems thus far.
    Dale

Yeah, temps aren't as important as with cigars, and of course humidity is no concern at all; each jar or tin is it's own little humidor, so to speak.

I personally keep all jarred tobacco in a closed cabinet, away from all light, unless it's a jar I'm smoking at the time.

One thing I would highly recommend: pull out all of your tobacco tins at least once a year to examine them carefully for loose seals and rust spots. It sounds like a lot of work, but once you get started it becomes playing with your stash and is actually fun! If you spot any problem tins, transfer them to a jar. (This idea of loose seals and rust spots sounds scary; to reassure you, I've yet to find one of either. Maybe I just like playing with my tobacco...)
    ********.com

Thank you all very much, gentlemen. I kind of figured that direct sunlight was going be my main foe but hearing it from wiser members give me peace of mind and a goal. That goal? To get a closet or more likely a box

Mark,
    Playing with your tobacco? I'm right there with, brother. Cigar tetris and pipe baccy checks are fine ways to relieve stress. Thanks again, everyone. I do appreciate it!
    Now with 96.5% more Wub Wub! http://www.tobaccocellar.com/NikonNUT

Quote Originally Posted by nikonnut View Post
    Mark,
    Playing with your tobacco? I'm right there with, brother. Cigar tetris and pipe baccy checks are fine ways to relieve stress. Thanks again, everyone. I do appreciate it!
    I can't wait to get home and play both of those games .

I just keep mine in a closet in the bedroom. Most of my baccy is in jars, and just ordered 12 4 oz and 12 8 oz Ball jars to put away some of the stuff I've been ordering lately. I really need to get some stock in Ball or Mason
    Editing and deleting are two different things. You edit a whole by deleting a part; you cannot edit a part by deleting it. Webster can clear this up for you.

Young Fish

I buy a case of wide mouth quarts, cut the plastic wrapping off above the cardboard and fill the jars as I go. Leaving the cardboard allows stacking and you can put a label on the cardboard/tuck it in in back of the plastic so you can see what is in that layer of stacked jars!

At the moment I keep all my baccy in an ammo can. It is dark, cool, and airtight and keeps everything from getting too dry. Soon as I get home I'm going fab up a cabinet or something and buy stock in mason jars.