Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

How often should your pipe go out?

This is a discussion on How often should your pipe go out? within the The Pipe Hobby How-To Discussion Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; It matters not a jot how many times your pipe needs to be relit. Pipe smoking is hopefully a relaxing ...

Re: How often should your pipe go out?

It matters not a jot how many times your pipe needs to be relit. Pipe smoking is hopefully a relaxing pursuit, not a competition. If you are stressing over this to any degree at all, you are missing the point. Enjoy (and celebrate if you are minded - these are rare events) a "perfect bowl" by all means, but so much more goes into that besides simply saving on matches or lighter fuel. Some smokes are "just perfect" despite numerous relights.
    "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

I'm totally serious, dude B-daddy's Avatar

I've smoked a total of two bowls and both of them have burned all the way through without a relight. Now, either I'm the most efficient pipe smoker of all time, just dumb lucky, or I'm doing something goofy. (History indicates the latter is more likely.) I enjoyed both of them, so what's not to like. I may have been smoking a bit to hot/fast. I felt like I was taking my time, not rushing, just keeping it burning...enough? Maybe I'm just a prodigy (at age 43) and someday I'll make all the way it to the Piper Olympics. Yeah, not so much. More likely I'll burn a hole through the bottome of my cob. I'll keep reading and smoking and see how this turns out.
    "24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence?" -- Steven Wright

24 hr's ain't enough splattttttt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by B-daddy View Post
    I've smoked a total of two bowls and both of them have burned all the way through without a relight. Now, either I'm the most efficient pipe smoker of all time, just dumb lucky, or I'm doing something goofy. (History indicates the latter is more likely.) I enjoyed both of them, so what's not to like. I may have been smoking a bit to hot/fast. I felt like I was taking my time, not rushing, just keeping it burning...enough? Maybe I'm just a prodigy (at age 43) and someday I'll make all the way it to the Piper Olympics. Yeah, not so much. More likely I'll burn a hole through the bottome of my cob. I'll keep reading and smoking and see how this turns out.
    I'd say; you got talent.
    it has been my experience that folks who have no vices have few virtues- Abe Lincoln

I agree with Jack's previous statement, I prefer to keep my bowl cool also.

The flavor seems to really come out better in a cool bowl and butane is cheap IMHO.

Do Not believe a single word UBAH post, His life is in your hands. If the Elites find out you know what UBAH knows, UBAH will be up a creek without Eggs.

24 hr's ain't enough splattttttt's Avatar

thanks Fred. I don't tamp. Just a bit at the beginning with my finger ever so slightly.
    I mostly tap the sides to loosen tobacco from the edges. Sometimes ash out the bowl if a relight is stubborn. But mostly rely on my lighter to keep the ember glowing, not hard puffs.
    Now there are some tobaccos that will burn hotter [insert] neub here [/insert].
    I'm assuming that is because of certain toppings, such as sweeteners and alcoholic mixtures.
    Good luck with wet tobaccos though.
    it has been my experience that folks who have no vices have few virtues- Abe Lincoln

I'm totally serious, dude B-daddy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by splattttttt View Post
    I'd say; you got talent.
    I was definitely smoking too fast/hot. My last couple bowls, I sipped. Kept them cool and they smoked way better. They went out 2 or 3 times and I took the opportunity to futz with the ash (tamp?), so I'd be lighting actual tobacco with the next match. Flavors were more subtle, rich and sweet but subtle. I enjoyed the last two much more than my first two (which weren't bad either). I'm liking this pipe thing.
    "24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence?" -- Steven Wright

Puffer Fish with some spikes

Quote Originally Posted by steinr1 View Post
    It matters not a jot how many times your pipe needs to be relit. Pipe smoking is hopefully a relaxing pursuit, not a competition. If you are stressing over this to any degree at all, you are missing the point. Enjoy (and celebrate if you are minded - these are rare events) a "perfect bowl" by all means, but so much more goes into that besides simply saving on matches or lighter fuel. Some smokes are "just perfect" despite numerous relights.
    Beautifully put.

Although I am sure that anyone reading this has forgotten more than I know about this pursuit, here is my $.02. I found this with cigars and it is the same with pipes. If I am not having a conversation, reading a book, on the net, or otherwise engaged I smoke way too fast. I prefer rather to smoke as if I am just breathing. Keeps a cool bowl and relaxes the mind.- George

Young Fish

As with many issues in smoking a pipe, smoking technique always seems to provide a basic answer; not that I claim that mine does so as yet. Whatever rate one smokes, the balancing act is often between smoking slow and keeping the pipe lit while smoking slow. If the smoker is happy with his pace, his smoking technique, a certain amount of relights can be associated with that rate. Ignore the fact that this amount of relights is needed. They're just relights.

I've been smoking the pipe now for 3 yrs. I've never gotten to the bottom of the bowl on 1 light. I used to think I was doing something wrong, but it's just part of enjoying the bowl. Depending on how well I fill the bowl, how I prepare my flakes, or ribbon cut, so on.
    I've gotten to the point now where I have gotten my breathing down, to breathe in with my nose, and exhale through my mouth, and part of the exhale through the bowl to keep the tobacco at a slow smolder, the bowl stay pretty cool. but I'm not blowing out plumes of smoke either. Just small puffs, some guys would say I'm in a state of zen when they see me smoking my pipes at my B&M. Like I'm hardly smoking at all, yes I have frequent relights, tamps, stirring, and tipping the bowl. But when I'm usually down after 2 hrs, I have pretty much nothing but gray ash and a bit of dottle.
    Soo don't sweat the relights, it's not a race, and if your blowing out plumes of smoke, your smoking too fast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2