Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How often should your pipe go out?

This is a discussion on How often should your pipe go out? within the The Pipe Hobby How-To Discussion Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Do people generally have their pipes go out even when experienced or are they expected to just stay lit until ...

Maturing Puffer Fish

How often should your pipe go out?

Do people generally have their pipes go out even when experienced or are they expected to just stay lit until they are done?

Re: How often should your pipe go out?

Okay, I'm not sure how qualified I am to answer this, as I'm just a glorified noob, a few months short of four years experience, but while I start off each pipe with the intention of lighting it only once, I can count the amount of times that's happened on one hand. Without the thumb. Okay, without two of the fingers as well...

The more experience you have, the less often your pipe will go out (unless you're easily distracted like me), but if that problem ever goes away completely, it must take more experience than I've managed to put together so far.
    ********.com

Yes.

Seriously, some blends do, some don't. Sometimes I dry my tobacco so much that it wouldn't go out if I tried, sometimes it is just barely possible to char and light.

Common denominator? I no longer worry about it. Unlike a cigar, relights with a pipe are not a big deal.
    Pro Patria Vigilans................... My tobacco cellar

Midlife crises Puffer mcgreggor57's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Themadlbb View Post
    Do people generally have their pipes go out even when experienced or are they expected to just stay lit until they are done?
    <insert joke about dating that contributes nothing to the thread>

Re-lights are common, and part of the process for me. Occasionally I've had a bowl burn without one, but more often than not I'll need to re-light a couple three times each bowl. If for no other reason than getting distracted and forgetting to puff LOL
    Tobacco Cellar: http://www.tobaccocellar.com/mcgreggor57
    Never trust a woman's tears or a dog's limp.

Puffer Fish with some spikes Old_Salt's Avatar

the answer to both is Yes!, second there are no rules. It's very rare for me to make it all the way to the bottom on one light. I'm way too OCD, I'm always stirring, tamping dumping. Bottom line have fun with it & don't worry about the details

Quote Originally Posted by Themadlbb View Post
    Pipes go out. Simply relight them. Even days later. As mentioned by others this is normal and not a problem at all. It is nice when you do get a "perfect" bowl, but it is the exception rather than the rule. I don't expect it; it's a nice surprise when it does happen.
    "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

I'm watching you.

I'm glad to hear relights are common and part of the process. Though, that being said, the more I smoke a pipe, the more I get a feel for the rotation of tamping and puffing, and relights are getting far fewer. Finding the right dry-ness has helped a lot, too!
    "Only fine cigars are worth smoking, and only men who smoke fine cigars are worth kissing." -Joan Collins

Puff's Resident Evil Dr. Dr. Plume's Avatar

Depends on moisture of Baccy, packing job, puffing cadence and other variables. Most pipes I have a relight or two but have some without too. Relights don't matter it's just a part of pipe smoking.
    "The pipe gives a wise man time to think, and a fool something to stick in his mouth." My puny cellar http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Dr.%20Plume

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

I am a noob at pipes and anywhere between 3-5 relights for me. Sometimes every so often the bowl burns straight through no relights. About once out of every ten times more or less!
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by TonyBrooklyn View Post
    I am a noob at pipes and anywhere between 3-5 relights for me. Sometimes every so often the bowl burns straight through no relights. About once out of every ten times more or less!
    Same for me although the last few bowls have treated me very nicely

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Salt View Post
    the answer to both is Yes!, second there are no rules. It's very rare for me to make it all the way to the bottom on one light. I'm way too OCD, I'm always stirring, tamping dumping. Bottom line have fun with it & don't worry about the details
    Ha ha ha! very well said. I've kind of similar OCD Though, what I have observed in my case is, when the bowl is filled, the relights &/or tamping is frequent than the level when my bowl is about half smoked, it starts getting smoothly. I guess it's my (not so well ) packing & moisture of the baccy. Being a noob, still I am struggling with the correct packing & perfect dryness of the baccy.

So, as Old_Salt said, enjoy your bowl...who counts the relights? we are certainly not short on matches! now do we?

Cheers!
    Kaivalya

I'm watching you.

The only time I counted relights when as a fresh newbie, my pipe lighter ran empty LOL
    "Only fine cigars are worth smoking, and only men who smoke fine cigars are worth kissing." -Joan Collins

Just to throw another joker in the mix, your pipe can affect relights as well. I can go a lot longer between puffs with my Cavicchi briars and Altinok meers than I can with my Stanwells.
    ********.com

Maturing Puffer Fish JohnnyDarkside's Avatar

I remember having a stack of matches next to me when first starting. Granted I'm still very new, but I usually only relight about 2-3 times. Tamping, tobacco moisture, bowl size and tobacco blend, puffing, pipe resting, pack and so on all affect your burn. So many variables make it a fun learning experience.

24 hr's ain't enough splattttttt's Avatar

I almost never reach the bottom of a bowl with out one. By than, I've tapped and ashed a couple times. I tend to use the Frank packing method.
    For a fast smoke; usually trying a new blend or experimenting with my own, I gravity fill and it will burn down to the bottom quicker with a tamp or two.
    Personally; I prefer to relight as often as necessary. Keeps my bowl cooler this way.
    it has been my experience that folks who have no vices have few virtues- Abe Lincoln

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast