Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Keeping Your Baccy Lit

This is a discussion on Keeping Your Baccy Lit within the The Pipe Hobby How-To Discussion Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; So I've heard from a few geezers down the road that it's alright not to go through the hassle of ...

Keeping Your Baccy Lit

So I've heard from a few geezers down the road that it's alright not to go through the hassle of relighting your pipe and instead keep the fire going with a few quick, short draws. I know this sacrifices some of the flavor and risks high temperatures, but I'd like your two cents on the matter. I was also told that most pipes go out because of an uneven "cherry", so what some guys I know do is cover the bowl to localize the draft, and puff normally to get the burn even. What do you guys think?

Also, butane lighters suck, I think matches suck too. I personally think they just taste weird. What should I be lighting my pipe with?

Re: Keeping Your Baccy Lit

Your about to get a lot of advice about what to do to keep your pipe lit, and my guess is all of it will be good, but the bottom line is: don't worry about it. With experience, the problem will go away.

As far as what to use, I use either an Old Boy or a Bic, both butane. I have no problem with them.
    ********.com

So I've heard from a few geezers down the road that it's alright not to go through the hassle of relighting your pipe and instead keep the fire going with a few quick, short draws. I know this sacrifices some of the flavor and risks high temperatures,
    Oh! & the burned irritated tongue too, my friend. Me too have been through this pain.

but I'd like your two cents on the matter. I was also told that most pipes go out because of an uneven "cherry", so what some guys I know do is cover the bowl to localize the draft, and puff normally to get the burn even. What do you guys think?
    if its relight..then relight! what the heck! As long as this won't compromise the bliss, why to worry?
    Just try tamping a bit when the burn is uneven, & this should help you in touching the amber to baccy all over surface.

I think matches suck too. I personally think they just taste weird.
    Are you waiting till the phosphorous is all burned? If it's strike the match - rush it to bowl, it's going to give you foul taste; that's for sure. Try waiting for few seconds after striking the match & then bring it to bowl. This will eliminate the chemical burning taste to your baccy.

Great advice right there from these two gentlemen. I really have nothing more to add.

With experience, you'll need to relight less.

Don't worry about relights. Just relight and keep smoking.

I'm not sure what to suggest to light with. I've never noticed any unpleasant taste from butane or matches. I prefer butane lighters with cigars, and paper matches with pipes. As mentioned, let the ignition chemicals burn off the match before touching it to your tobacco.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader dj1340's Avatar

Good info here. I don't think much about relights, it just happens. If I have too many, it's usually my tobacco is not dry enough.
    I use a promethius butane lighter and can not taste any weird flavors. Good luck.
    The older I get, the better I used to be.

Puff's Resident Evil Dr. Dr. Plume's Avatar

Good info here. Experience (yay smoke more often), dry your Baccy, tamp every so often experience will let you know when. Dump ash every once in a while again experience tells you when don't dump the cherry out, relight when you need to. Yes if you feel like it is going out you can cover the bowl partway and inhale to get it going again. But why not let it go out cool down and relight. Again everybody has great advice here so I am just repeating it all. Good luck!
    "The pipe gives a wise man time to think, and a fool something to stick in his mouth." My puny cellar http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Dr.%20Plume

Puffer Fish with many spikes Hambone1's Avatar

Nimrod Pipe Lighter (IMO!) eBay it

Don't worry about relights. It's not that big of a deal. With experience you'll have less of them. Slow down, enjoy the smoke, sip. Besides, lighting your pipe should be a pleasure, not a challenge to only do it once. Who came up with that? Silly IMO!
    Puffers will push you down the slippery slope of PAD/TAD! Get out while you can!

Puffer Fish with some spikes Old_Salt's Avatar

another fire source to contemplate

what Beeline is... - info

I'm thinking that a lot of the fuss over relights and the need/wisdom of them is down to something which raises a question for me.

Is smoking a pipe a "habit" or a "hobby"?

I smoke a pipe (and cigars and previously, cigarettes) because I enjoy them and, yes, I'll testify - "My name is Robert, and I'm a Nicotine Addict."

Pipe smoking is a habit and not a hobby in my opinion. It should be a pleasurable and relaxing habit; not a contest - not even with yourself. As such, it really doesn't matter if you need to relight your pipe. Sometimes it isn't needed and I won't deny that it is a pleasure when it happens - but normally because the whole smoke was gentle and relaxing. If it was an "achievement" to keep the pipe going, I don't think I would have enjoyed it.

Relax and enjoy the good moments and don't worry about the odd not so good ones. When your pipe goes out - and it will, no matter your experience or skill - relight it if you want to smoke some more. If you want to keep a pipe going by harder puffing or "popping" your thumb or fingers on the top - then do that. So long as the result is that you enjoy your smoke - IT'S A WIN.

Just as an example - and not as a "How to" manual...

I don't dry my tobacco. I normally just use it as it arrives from the manufacturer.
    I don't use any patent method of packing my pipe. I just cram the stuff in and press it in until it feels right (perhaps some skill or just experience needed for that).
    I use a butane lighter, petrol lighter, matches, wooden taper or ember from a fire to light as is available.
    I tamp down ash. Sometimes lightly, sometimes not.
    Sometimes I dump out ash, other times I let it build up.
    I puff and pop to keep my pipe going if needed.
    I relight my pipe if I don't manage to keep it going.
    I sometimes relight days later.

And, having broken all the "rules"...

I don't suffer tongue bite to any great degree. But this does happen - to everyone.
    I am able to taste the subtleties of the tobacco.
    I sometimes even manage to get through a whole bowl without relighting (and will sing the praises of this on the forum - please don't expect me to be consistent...)

I enjoy smoking and I enjoy my pipe habit. I hope everyone else does too.

(There is a side to pipes that is definitely a hobby for me, though. Collecting pipes and pipe paraphernalia. Tweaky, nerdy, and definitely a hobby. With strong elements of addiction... But smoking one of those pipes - that's a habit.)
    Last edited by steinr1; 01-05-2013 at 09:19 AM.
    "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

Quote Originally Posted by Hambone1 View Post
    Nimrod Pipe Lighter (IMO!) eBay it

Don't worry about relights. It's not that big of a deal. With experience you'll have less of them. Slow down, enjoy the smoke, sip. Besides, lighting your pipe should be a pleasure, not a challenge to only do it once. Who came up with that? Silly IMO!
    These are cool - but, as I've said before, Beattie Jet Lighters are cooler still.

(Apologies for my even nerdier side allowing my hobby to slip...)

Puffer Fish with many spikes Hambone1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steinr1 View Post
    These are cool - but, as I've said before, Beattie Jet Lighters are cooler still.

(Apologies for my even nerdier side allowing my hobby to slip...)

That looks like an interesting lighter, do you have one?
    Puffers will push you down the slippery slope of PAD/TAD! Get out while you can!

Quote Originally Posted by Hambone1 View Post
    That looks like an interesting lighter, do you have one?
    I do. An eBay capture for about $17 delivered. They do go for a lot more than this but a bargain is to be had if you are patient. The one I have could do with new wicks and a repack, but works well enough. I must admit that I don't use it much, gas lighters are so much more practical. But, did I mention? IT'S COOL!!

I don't get the fuss over relights. Just relight if it goes out.

Quote Originally Posted by steinr1 View Post
    I'm thinking that a lot of the fuss over relights and the need/wisdom of them is down to something which raises a question for me.

Is smoking a pipe a "habit" or a "hobby"?

I smoke a pipe (and cigars and previously, cigarettes) because I enjoy them and, yes, I'll testify - "My name is Robert, and I'm a Nicotine Addict."
    The answer is not the same for everyone. I am definitely NOT a nicotine addict. I've been a nicotine addict in the past, I know what it feels like. No way I'm addicted at this time. I've had one bowl yesterday, none today, and have no craving or anything. I wouldn't have been able to say that when I was addicted to cigs. For me personally, if nicotine was completely removed from pipe tobacco, it wouldn't affect my smoking at all. In fact, I'd probably appreciate it; no overdoing it with nicotine would be one less thing to worry about. If I get to the point again where I "have to have it", I'll quit for six months and try again. I never enjoyed having the monkey on my back, and wouldn't go back to it for anything.
    ********.com

Puffer Fish with many spikes Blue_2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    The answer is not the same for everyone. I am definitely NOT a nicotine addict. I've been a nicotine addict in the past, I know what it feels like. No way I'm addicted at this time. I've had one bowl yesterday, none today, and have no craving or anything. I wouldn't have been able to say that when I was addicted to cigs. For me personally, if nicotine was completely removed from pipe tobacco, it wouldn't affect my smoking at all. In fact, I'd probably appreciate it; no overdoing it with nicotine would be one less thing to worry about. If I get to the point again where I "have to have it", I'll quit for six months and try again. I never enjoyed having the monkey on my back, and wouldn't go back to it for anything.
    Amen my brother, Amen. When I walked away from cigarettes, I walked away from nicotine addiction. I'll smoke on one day and then not have any again for a few days at a time. It's definitely a hobby to me as well.