Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Travel with pipe tobacco

This is a discussion on Travel with pipe tobacco within the The Pipe Hobby How-To Discussion Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; So they have the Cigar Caddys for cigars and other neat travel humidors for your cigars. Do they have any ...

Full grown Puffer Fish Mason16Filz's Avatar

Question Travel with pipe tobacco

So they have the Cigar Caddys for cigars and other neat travel humidors for your cigars.

Do they have any such idea for pipe tobacco??

How do you travel with you pipe tobacco?? ...along with your pipe(s) and accesories??
    #KL2154

Chest Beating Pack Leader [OT] Loki's Avatar

Re: Travel with pipe tobacco

driving? I throw it all in a bag and carry on my way. Haven't flown with pipes before. for tins I just take the tins with me and for bulk I use small mason jars or baby food jars

For bulk could you use small tupperware containers the size of the baby jars??
    #KL2154

you an also use ziplock bags

Those would work very well...but is there any decent manufactured products that would work to hold everything?? Leather pouches??
    #KL2154

my wife bought me a 4 pipe leather bag that holds....not surprisingly....4 pipes, tamper, pipe cleaners, lighters and backy depending on how you store it. I never know what i want to smoke so it doesn't really help to hvae only one or two blends on hand

Midlife crises Puffer mcgreggor57's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mason16Filz View Post
    Those would work very well...but is there any decent manufactured products that would work to hold everything?? Leather pouches??
    Yes, there is an industry built around tobacco and pipe pouches.
    Tobacco Cellar: http://www.tobaccocellar.com/mcgreggor57
    Never trust a woman's tears or a dog's limp.

Honestly, I use an old Tinderbox Cigar Box with a Boveda pack and it's PERFECT.
    Proudly Serving USAF

Elder Puffer Fish Leader indigosmoke's Avatar

Many companies make pipe bags which will let you carry your gear. Check with the online pipe retailers under Pipe Accessories. You'll find everything from very cheap vinyl items to fine leather goods from all sorts of manufacturers from Peterson to Castello. Check here:

http://www.smokingpipes.com/accessor...ries/index.cfm
    Tobacco & Pipe Pouches and Jars

The key thing to remember about most bags is they are smaller than they seem so err on the side of going bigger than you think you'll need.

Here is a gentleman Ultramag recommends who makes very find pipe bags from small pouches for daily use to large bags that hold many pipes.

Welcome to Smokin' Holsters
    “The value of tobacco is best understood when it is the last you possess and there is no chance of getting more.” - Bismarck

Puff's Resident Evil Dr. Dr. Plume's Avatar

I am traveling in UK right now with a pipe. My meer is in its case. Each of five tobaccos is in a ziplock and then all Baccys are in a bag together. Then that bag is in another which has matches a tamper and cleaners. Checked bag. Zero problems.
    "The pipe gives a wise man time to think, and a fool something to stick in his mouth." My puny cellar http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Dr.%20Plume

Young Puffer Fish

I know I am pretty new to pipe tobacco and smoking, but from some of my more experienced friends I heard the pipe tobacco leather pouches work well, and put the tobacco in the ziplock bags first. I use mason jars in a small lock box I got in a giveaway.

I just returned from dragging my pipe & tobacco through Germany with no problems. Pipe, cleaners, & tamper in a leather pouch and EMP & Nightcap in the tins they came in. Everything traveled just fine. I'm more of a cigar smoker, but find that pipes are easier to travel with. I was hoping to pick up a CC or two to smoke while there, but it was a business trip & I never found the time. I did find a note from TSA saying they searched my checked bag, but nothing was disturbed. Maybe they saw the pipe on x-ray and that my flight was to Amsterdam & thought the tins might be full of something else? Anyway, no problems.

The physical challenges of travelling with a pipe are low. Pipes are pretty robust and removing the stem will prevent risk of breakage in anything but the most extreme of cases. Tobacco doesn't suffer from being knocked about so that's no worry. The custom pipe-bags that several have mentioned will organise things and are attractive to boot. Things are not the same for cigar smokers where damage is a real issue.

With all the talk about drying tobacco before smoking, I'm surprised that much thought needs to be put into this side of things. Dryer is better, isn't it? Seriously, as we are not talking about keeping tobacco for years, but rather days or weeks, any plastic bag will be more than adequate.

Even for International travel,taking supplies with you may not be needed at all. Most countries have some tradition of pipe smoking. Granted, things are pretty bad in the UK, at least in the sticks, with regards to getting decent pipe tobacco locally. But a trip to London (or any similar large city) could be seen as an opportunity to buy a pipe locally and get some of that harder to find tobacco. We even have pipe cleaners here .

Duty Free limits on tobacco could be a bigger issue if you are on an extended trip. For example, the limit on tobacco from outside the EU into the UK is 250g. Easily smoked in a month or less. As far as "being questioned" is concerned, you simply can't argue with Customs Officers. The powers that they have in the UK are simply frightening. I assume much the same elsewhere. UK Customs and Excise have a friendly portcullis as their logo. Most comforting. Take what you can afford to lose.

Personally, when I travel with a pipe, I take a pouch of tobacco (enough for a couple of days), a few pipe cleaners, a disposable lighter, and stick a pipe or two into my pocket.

(Anyway, getting on one of my many hobby-horses, isn't pipe smoking a hobby and not a habit or - shock horror - an addiction? I don't take my stamp collection with me when I go on holiday...)
    "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

No longer a community member.

I have a bag from the local Army Surplus store. It holds a couple pipes, two tins, Czech tool, cleaners and a few boxes of matches. Takes up very little room in my carry-on. If I were going on extended holiday (more than two weeks) I would probably transfer my weed into baggies so that I could fit more into it.

Quote Originally Posted by steinr1 View Post
    Anyway, getting on one of my many hobby-horses, isn't pipe smoking a hobby and not a habit or - shock horror - an addiction? I don't take my stamp collection with me when I go on holiday...
    You're smart. I went camping and had a rampaging bear run right through my Danish numeral cancels collection. Last I saw of it, it was heading back into the woods with a 1851 2 Skilling, cancelled in Hamburg, stuck to his butt...
    ********.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast