Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

White Ash in my Bowl

This is a discussion on White Ash in my Bowl within the The Pipe Hobby How-To Discussion Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Now I've been told that only excellent quality tobacco leaves a fine white ash in your bowl post-smoking. I've had ...

White Ash in my Bowl

Now I've been told that only excellent quality tobacco leaves a fine white ash in your bowl post-smoking. I've had this happen to me on several occasions, and it has been a pain to clean up...the white ash sticks to the interior sides of my pipe's bowl. Is this a problem related to the pipe material? (I believe the pipe is a Dr. Grabow, but it was a factory second) Also, how should I clean it off? I've been (regretfully) reaming it off and that left scratches on the inside of my bowl. Help!

Smoking makes me go Poo! Shemp75's Avatar

Re: White Ash in my Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by Kakyuubi View Post
    ..the white ash sticks to the interior sides of my pipe's bowl.
    Thats what you want to happen.
    "Before I bed you wench, have a look at my box of Glass top Cohibas!!"

Full grown Puffer Fish Mason16Filz's Avatar

What he said^^^^

Its the process of building cake
    #KL2154

I am noobin' so hard right now. Thanks for clarifying, guys.

I am noobin' so hard right now. Thanks for clarifying, guys.

do this from now on...DO IT!!!

after a bowl of whatever. smoke down to a nice ash (doesnt have to be pristine white all the time) let pipe cool abit with a pipe nail/tool, lightly stir ash in bowl(to break up) get a paper towel and cover bowl and shake ash around to coat bowl. I even blow thru pipe to evenly coat bowl (DO NOT INHALE!!) then dump ash out. i then lightly blow out any ash excess. and let rest.

Again what he said^^^^

I did this exact thing to get a good start on cake.
    #KL2154

How long should I do this, and do I have to worry about scraping any of the cake off later on? Also, should I be worried about smoking different tobaccos (aromatics and not-so-aromatic blends alike) in the same pipe? I can only afford one pipe, which is why I ask this.

If u have one pipe then ull get some ghosting...get some cobs!!!

I suggest do this till u see cake forming in the bowl then there is no need to cuz the cake will build naturally once you have started it off right.

I dont smoke aromatics in the same pipe as english or virginias.
    #KL2154

How long should I do this, and do I have to worry about scraping any of the cake off later on? Also, should I be worried about smoking different tobaccos (aromatics and not-so-aromatic blends alike) in the same pipe? I can only afford one pipe, which is why I ask this.
    It takes a long time to get to that point in worrying about cleaning cake. DONT WORRY ABOUT IT, SMOKE! after awhile you will start to get un evenness in the pipe.DONT WORRY ABOUT IT,SMOKE.

As to your second question. buy 2-3 corn cobs. Missouri Meershuams only.they can be found in most drugstores. at $5-$8 per. (NO CHINESE COBS OFF EBAY!!).They are cheap but give a great smoke.

Also no need to grow cake in a cob. just dump and wipe when done smoking a cob

Yeah, you'll eventually have to ream the pipe to reduce the cake, but that's just something you'll have to deal with anyway. And like Shemp says, it takes a while. When it gets to that point, I'd recommend a Castleford Reamer set (you can find them on eBay for less than $20). But there's no need to pick one up until you need it.
    ********.com

Relax.

Just smoke your pipe and try not to stress about any of these "issues". They aren't issues. Tobacco ash comes in a variety of colours and, on the whole, indicates nothing. If the ash in your pipe is white, it indicates that the particular tobacco you are smoking produces white ash. Nothing more. It is JUST possible that the briar itself is burning very slightly if the bulk of the ash is different. This can and will happen until the cake builds up and forms a barrier between the burning tobacco and the wood of the pipe. This happened to a pipe of mine recently; the cake has now deposited and it smokes beautifully. If so - DON'T STRESS. It almost certainly amounts to nothing. Cake sticks better to slightly scorched wood and there is no way to avoid this in any case. You are keeping tobacco burning in a wooden bowl, after all. Keep it slow and as cool as you can and things will sort themselves out. Your tobacco should only just keep itself alight. Doing that will probably mean you need to relight repeatedly. Again, DON'T STRESS, this is normal. Not needing to relight a bowl is the exception.

In the "good old days" before pipe smoking became a hobby rather than just one of the (more pleasurable, granted) ways to get your dose of nicotine, people simply smoked, thumped the ash and bits out of the bowl, waited until the pipe became cool (sometimes), filled it and started again. Cake builds by itself and the obsession with it seems another modern phenomenon. Let it build and then cut it back when YOU feel it needs it. Conventional wisdom these days is to allow only a thin layer. When I started smoking a pipe first time around, we all thought it was cool to allow it to build as much as possible. I did this and still have the pipes I did this horrible thing to. They are all fine and I still smoke them 30+ years on. There really are no Golden Rules. I don't remember anyone when I started smoking a pipe (and we were GREEN) ruining one by smoking it. We didn't have the internet and perhaps in some ways we were better off without it. Less to stress about. All the horror stories about pipes burning through and spitting in use are very rare tales and we only know about them these days because of the ease with which we can communicate them. They are no more common than they were 100 years ago, I'll warrant. There was just no way to immediately tell a whole community of pipe smokers about it.

I would say that you possibly want to decide which particular type of tobaccos a briar pipe is used for and stick to that. If you mix types all the time there is a "danger" that things will tend to taste alike regardless of which one you are smoking.
    "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

Young Puffer Fish

Well, I have given the majority of my collection away over the last few years, but if you're needing a second pipe I can almost certainly find something I can part with that would be a decent smoker. For that matter, cobs smoke beautifully and are only a few bucks apiece.

[EDIT]Sorry, I see Mason already suggested this.

Oh, also...you can swish your ashes if you want, but every pipe I've ever smoked has built a cake without any problem, I think you'll find it's something you don't have to concern yourself with. The biggest thing is to smoke the entire bowl and not get in the habit of dumping the dottle before it's all burnt, or you'll end up with the sides caked and the bottom just bare wood with some gunky tar-like stuff on it.

Newbie in the ocean

i had one pipe a while if you switch tobacco use a pipe cleaner non bristle add everclear from stem two bowl when cool and dissasembled it will help with ghost in airway

you will have some in the chamber but if you sitck with example dark tobacco aka virginia or light aka burley

and dont mix aromatic flavors ike chocolate with vanilla it will be more pleasant and may help alot

good luck

hope this helps