Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

How to keep stem clean?

This is a discussion on How to keep stem clean? within the The Pipe Hobby How-To Discussion Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; So how does one prevent oxidation of your pipe stem? I wipe it down with a cloth after every smoke, ...

Puffer Fish with some spikes TonyM's Avatar

How to keep stem clean?

So how does one prevent oxidation of your pipe stem? I wipe it down with a cloth after every smoke, but I'm starting to see the shine somewhat fade where my lips cover. What's the best method to bring the shine back?

Young Fish

Re: How to keep stem clean?

This recommendation is for the use of common household items. Requires more elbow grease than a buffer, compounds, and carnauba wax but will work. If the oxidation is not too bad, scrubbing the area with cheap toothpaste will help clean it up. Rinse and dry, then wipe it down with Chapstick. The Chapstick will slow down the reaction between your saliva and the stem material. If the oxidation is more severe, then try a "Mister Clean Magic Eraser". The wife (assuming you're married) probably has a few laying around the sink/bathtub!

No longer a community member.

I have always used softy bits to protect my stem and my teeth. Can't say I've ever had this issue but the Magic Eraser is good to know about since I have some estate pipes I need to clean up.

It's a cliff not a slope! jheiliger's Avatar

I've recently started doing some estate restorations, and I have dealt with some nasty stems!

I soak mine in Oxy Clean for an hour to halt oxidation. This will turn any oxidized portion of the stem gray/white color. Then I take a Magic eraser and scrub the gunk off, leaving a beautifully clean stem!

Here is one that has soaked and I have scrubbed half way, and then 3 when I am done with cleaning the stems. You will notice that the stems are dull, and require additional buffing of some kind to "re-polish" them.

If your stem is not in bad shape, wipe it down, and put chapstick on the end where you're mouth goes. This will seal it off from the air and prevent oxidation (required after every smoke...).

Joe
    I live such a great life... A beautiful family, a job I love, and a few good smokes to keep my head on straight.

That's great advice. I've always been wary of buying estate pipes online with bad stems but this method of cleaning will change my mind. Thx Joe!

It's a cliff not a slope! jheiliger's Avatar

My pleasure... If you want to put the shine back on them, get some Tripoli rubbing compound from Pimo Pipe Works, and polish them up! It is much easier if you get a buffing wheel and use your drill as the buffing source rather than your hands. But, you can do it with a soft cloth as well.

Here are a couple before and after pics. You can see in the pics above how dull the stems are. Here is a pic of one of the bowls before cleaning...

After...

All clean and ready to smoke! The right tools make life much easier...
    I live such a great life... A beautiful family, a job I love, and a few good smokes to keep my head on straight.