Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Half now, half later?

This is a discussion on Half now, half later? within the The Pipe Hobby How-To Discussion Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Is it generally good practice to smoke half a bowl, put it out, then smoke the other half at a ...

Half now, half later?

Is it generally good practice to smoke half a bowl, put it out, then smoke the other half at a later time?

Often times when I drive to work I don't get even close to the end of my pack when I get there and put it out. I have really cheap, tobacco that I use for driving etc. so dumping it out isn't a huge deal. But I wonder if it isn't a big deal to just leave it packed and then light it back up later.

The same thing happens when I am with my friends at the bar. They go outside to smoke and I go with my pipe. They all finish their cigarettes and I am left by myself to puff away. I suppose I could pack smaller. I am already packing less than half a bowl to begin with.

Any thoughts?

Elder Puffer Fish Leader dj1340's Avatar

Re: Half now, half later?

There is a thing called DPG (delayed personal gratification). I do it all the time, sometimes I relight my pipe 3 times during the day. A lot of
    the tobacco out there will taste the same if not a bit better afterwards. I have even left some in my pipe overnight and it still tasted
    great.

So, don't worry about
    The older I get, the better I used to be.

Puffer Fish with many spikes Hambone1's Avatar

I am probably one of the few that does not like finishing a half smoked bowl. I can taste the ash from the previous smoke, I swear I can. So, I fill the bowl according to how long I think I'll be able to smoke. If for some reason I don't get to finish it, I clean the bowl out. Every time I attempt to relight a half finished smoke, I regret it.
    Puffers will push you down the slippery slope of PAD/TAD! Get out while you can!

No longer a community member.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambone1 View Post
    I am probably one of the few that does not like finishing a half smoked bowl. I can taste the ash from the previous smoke, I swear I can. So, I fill the bowl according to how long I think I'll be able to smoke. If for some reason I don't get to finish it, I clean the bowl out. Every time I attempt to relight a half finished smoke, I regret it.
    I understand completely where you are coming from. I was that way the first couple years I smoked until I heard about...PARFAITS. I'll leave half a bowl for later and then try to pair an interesting topper with it. In my experience, by the time I get back down to the "older" tobacco, I no longer pick-up that nuance of ash.

I've had some issues with aromatics (1-Q, in particular) losing most of their flavor in a day of being packed, but pure tobacco blends haven't been an issue.

Aromatics do not reheat well. As for the ashy taste in non-aromatics, it's best to run a pipe cleaner through to the bowl before setting it aside. The nicotine gunk in the shank and stem will dry and taste terrible when reheated. Best to get rid of most of it while it's still in liquid form.
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney