Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

First pipe...well kind of. Cleaning advice?

This is a discussion on First pipe...well kind of. Cleaning advice? within the The Pipe Hobby How-To Discussion Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Well I got my first pipe over the weekend, it was some cheap $15 pipe I bought off cigar international ...

Young Puffer Fish

First pipe...well kind of. Cleaning advice?

Well I got my first pipe over the weekend, it was some cheap $15 pipe I bought off cigar international along with some tobacco. I really enjoyed it and kind of got a little over enthusiastic and ordered a Savinelli Churchwarden Rustic 601 pipe.

Now I kind of feel like this might not have been the smartest plan considering I am going to be pretty mad if I ruin a pipe that cost me that much money. If I just clean it after every smoke is this all I really need to do? (Along with a more thorough cleaning every 5-10 smokes) I am probably over thinking this but I have read so many different things my head is kind of spinning now.

No longer a community member.

Re: First pipe...well kind of. Cleaning advice?

I care for all my briar pipes the same way.I stick gently remove any leftover tobacco following the smoke, then insert a pipe cleaner all the way down the stem into the bowl. I store the pipe bowl down and after a few hours remove the pipe cleaner. Aside from this I don't do anything on a regular basis. Once a year (I have a couple dozen pipes so they are rotated regularly) I sit down and ream the bowls, sweeten with booze and give the stems a nice polish. Meerschaum gets the pipe cleaner and a wipe of the bowl with a paper towl after each smoke. Cobs get a stem cleaner (I treat them like abused children

Welcome!

A Squid founder, retired ProbateGeek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by philly121 View Post
    Well I got my first pipe over the weekend, it was some cheap $15 pipe I bought off cigar international along with some tobacco. I really enjoyed it and kind of got a little over enthusiastic and ordered a Savinelli Churchwarden Rustic 601 pipe.

Now I kind of feel like this might not have been the smartest plan considering I am going to be pretty mad if I ruin a pipe that cost me that much money. If I just clean it after every smoke is this all I really need to do? (Along with a more thorough cleaning every 5-10 smokes) I am probably over thinking this but I have read so many different things my head is kind of spinning now.
    Welcome, Tom. We'd all be happier if you posted a pic of your new churchwarden - we're funny that way.

If you're really concerned about damaging a new briar, you could always set it aside for a few months and go pick yourself up a couple of MM corncob pipes to learn on. But as long as you're careful with your fire and don't burn the bowl's rim on lighting (avoid torch lighters, please), there isn't really very much you can do to destroy a new briar without trying. Do a YouTube or Google search about breaking in a new pipe - study up a bit, and just go slow - you'll be fine.

I usually smoke the same pipe all day (about 3 smokes), and then clean it at night. I just run a cleaner or two through the stem and shank (the first one wet with booze if the pipe tasted ready for it - if I was getting "off" or sour flavors) and wipe out the bowl with a piece of paper towel. Then up on the pipe rack for a couple/three days. Pipe cleaners are cheap, so stock up. I've avoided buying a churchwarden solely because I don't want to have to buy the long pipe cleaners - that's just me, though.

You will, eventually, need a reamer to lessen the cake that will be slowly building up in the bowl as you smoke. The easiest for a new pipe smoker is probably one of these:

It's self-adjusting so is very easy to use. The most common of these is called a "British Buttner", or maybe a "Brigham Pipe Reamer". Easily under $10.

Don't hesitate to ask questions - all here on the pipe side are welcoming and just the right amount of nuts.
    1792 Flake was first produced in 1830, exactly 139 years before man walked on the moon. Coincidence?

Young Puffer Fish

Yeah I already ordered the long pipe cleaners so I am good there. Thanks for all the info! I think I will just start smoking it but be careful. I have not had any problems with my cheap pipe yet.

Young Puffer Fish

As requested: (Edit: Or not I guess it doesnt let me post pics yet)

Name:  g.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  54.2 KB

Going to try it out with the Ruins of Isengard I got from justforhim in a few minutes here. Going to try out the suggestion you sent me in a PM Terry, thanks for that!