Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Pipe cleaner not reaching all the way through

This is a discussion on Pipe cleaner not reaching all the way through within the The Pipe Hobby How-To Discussion Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; I have had trouble getting a pipe cleaner down the stem of my Nording Freehand. It's a bent stem so ...

Pipe cleaner not reaching all the way through

I have had trouble getting a pipe cleaner down the stem of my Nording Freehand. It's a bent stem so I am using BJ long tapered cleaners and inserting the small end first but probably 8 out of 10 tries I can get it down into the bowl to reduce gurgling while smoking. Am I doing something wrong? I know it's a no no to remove the stem while its hot so I don't but sometimes, I need to remove a bit of moisture.

Re: Pipe cleaner not reaching all the way through

Have you tried bending the tip of the pipe cleaner ever so slightly? That way when you insert it all the way down you can twist it around until it catches and goes through if that makes sense. It works for me on my more stubborn pipes.
    Check out my review blog site: www.cigaraggregate.com or follow me on twitter, @CigarAggregate.

I've tried buddy and will do it again, just having a challenge with this pipe. Nording makes a good one so I'm sure it's not the pipe.

Maybe try the thinner regular pipe cleaners I guess. But the pipe could be the problem. Nording does make great pipes but they are also susceptible to the drilling being off etc. just like all pipe brands. Idk what to tell ya other than try other pipe cleaners though. Sometimes a pipe just can't be tamed haha.
    Check out my review blog site: www.cigaraggregate.com or follow me on twitter, @CigarAggregate.

I'll take that advice. I know Larry Rousch guarantees that this wont happen with his pipes.....but they also start At 400 bucks.

God speed.

Quote Originally Posted by scottw View Post
    I'll take that advice. I know Larry Rousch guarantees that this wont happen with his pipes.....but they also start At 400 bucks.
    Cavicchis start at about half that, and I haven't heard of one yet that won't pass a pipe cleaner.
    ********.com

Elder Puffer Fish Leader dj1340's Avatar

There are several schools of thought on this and everyone seems to have a different opinion. I bought a pipe many years ago that
    wouldn't allow a cleaner through. It even whistled a bit when I smoked it. Some say it doesn't matter and just pull the stem out.
    I've read others that say never pull the stem out of a hot pipe. After learning a bit more I looked at the end of the stem and it
    was drilled off center. No wonder a pipe cleaner wouldn't pass and it whistled.

Myself I won't own a pipe that won't allow a cleaner to go through fairly easy. Some that I have are a little tighter and I have to twist
    the cleaner in circles to get it to go through but These small things I can live with. If the pipe means a lot to you send it off and
    have it looked at. Maybe a new stem is needed and they are fairly cheap.
    The older I get, the better I used to be.

Don, the pipe did only cost me 50 bucks on fleabay but it is a Nording signature freehand and I know Erik makes a great product. It's probably the stem but I would like to keep it original. I like the pipe and this is the only challenge I've had with it. I'll check to see if everything's aligned and maybe send it out if it doesn't improve.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader dj1340's Avatar

I have some Nordings and they are very nice pipes. I know what you mean about keeping it original as well.

Boswell's does a nice job and it is fairly inexpensive as well. Maybe there's something they can do to fix
    what you already have. Might be worth a phone call and see what they say.
    The older I get, the better I used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1340 View Post
    I have some Nordings and they are very nice pipes. I know what you mean about keeping it original as well.

Boswell's does a nice job and it is fairly inexpensive as well. Maybe there's something they can do to fix
    what you already have. Might be worth a phone call and see what they say.
    Good advice, will do that.