Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Soggy Bottoms

This is a discussion on Soggy Bottoms within the The Pipe Hobby How-To Discussion Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; 9 of 10 bowls I can't finish. Everything seems to be going just peachy until I hit about the 1/4 ...

Soggy Bottoms

9 of 10 bowls I can't finish. Everything seems to be going just peachy until I hit about the 1/4 left level. No relights, no bad tastes, just nice relaxiing smoke up to this point, but once I get down I can't stay lit, I can taste steam and goo, so I quit. When I empty things out, what remains in the bowl is gummy goop. I'm not sure how much slower I can stretch things. I mostly clench and use small sips along with the breath through the nose technique. I have this issue no matter what tobacco I am smoking, and in all three of the cobs I rotate through. I haven't been able to notice much of a difference in drying, whether I smoke right out of the tin, or let it sit out over night.

Any ideas what I may be doing wrong here, or is this a common thing?

Re: Soggy Bottoms

Such problems must make you a man of constant sorrow...

Wish I could offer some advice rather than cracking a joke, but I almost never have this problem. I'd ask if you're drying it enough, but if you get the same reaction even if it sits out overnight, I have no idea.
    ********.com

Puffer Fish with some spikes Jogi's Avatar

When I clench, I tend to salivate (and ultimately drool) more than usual. This means I end up with more pipe juice than normal, resulting in more gurgle and steam... On the other hand, if I smoke sitting down pipe in hand all the time, I usually don't have to worry about gurgle/moisture etc.

Maybe you're experiencing the same thing??

BTW, to be very honest, I first read the thread title as saggy bottoms and I was a bit startled

No longer a community member.

I agree that clenching may be the root of your problem. When I am smoking in my car I rarely gurgle, but when I smoke at home and clench to work on my laptop I inevitably have this issue.

I have been making an effort to be sure I keep my stem opening clear in the center of my mouth, as well as taking the pipe out a little more often, and it seems to be helping keep things dryer. At least it is enjoyable to practice. =)

Might just be that the bore isn't quite at the very bottom of the bowl. I've got one pipe that suffers this sort of thing in paarticular and it has a slightly high drilling. It doesn't get THAT wet, but smoking right to the bottom is a virtual impossibility.

I understand that "mud" can be used to fill the gap. I have never seen the recipe for this so would be interested myself. Any takers?

I just read the OP again. I really ought to read things carefully through to the end. As all of your pipes suffer from this, it is less likely that drilling is the problem. However, if one does smoke fine, (you mention all three of your cobs - any other "good ones"?), what's the difference? Maybe drilling is the concern after all; if you smoke the same blends using the same technique for all, it must be the pipe that is the cause.
    Last edited by steinr1; 03-28-2013 at 11:45 AM.
    "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

I took a good look at my cobs (all I have are these three cobs) and definately found the best and worst smokers are also the best and worst drilled. Such a mix of isues here. Oh well, just more to sort through. Time to pick up a few more cobs, and maybe pull the trigger on that first briar.

I'm reconsidering my response. I guess it would be unusual or just really unlucky for three MM Cobs chosen at random to all be so badly constructed that they are "bad smokers". Although I don't smoke cobs, this isn't the vibe I get about them.

Maybe some of the "professional" cob smokers can step in here and help out. There may be simple things to do that will sort this out. Otherwise, just stick with it for a bit. I've read a lot of threads where the comment "but it's getting better" is applied to poorly smoking pipes; probably due to unconscious adjustment of technique.
    "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

I have the same issue. I hate it

"Ooh, marshmallow!" SmokinSpider's Avatar

I had a small Stanwell that was just a pain in the butt to smoke without getting the last 1/4 wet. I found that if I fill the pipe via the Air Pocket method (I think it's also called the cannonball method) it helped tremendously with keeping the bottom portion of the pipe dry, also I had too dry the tobacco more than I had initially. After a while I switched to the regular 3 step method BUT I always put a pipe cleaner into the pipe before I fill and remove it before I light the pipe. That way there is a small air pocket at the bottom of the pipe.

Tobacco Pipe Packing (Loading, Filling) Methods | With Pipe and Pen

Ill try that

Pipe'in Aint Easy

Air pocket method is a good way to combat it.

I too find that when I clinch, that my saliva will travel down the stem. I guess if I used a filter it would combat it, but I hate filters. Id rather just relight and smoke through the last 1/4
    It's been nice, while it lasted.

Puffer Fish with many spikes gtechva's Avatar

I agree with the clinching/saliva theory. The fact that you said it's getting better, sounds like you are on to something and on your way to better times. You might also try running a pipe cleaner down the stem at about the half way point to see if it will pick up some extra juice.
    really?...