Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Wife of a newbie looking for some input from the more experienced

This is a discussion on Wife of a newbie looking for some input from the more experienced within the The Pipe Hobby How-To Discussion Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Hello everyone, I have a few questions that hopefully some of you can help me with. I plan to have ...

Newbie in the ocean

Wife of a newbie looking for some input from the more experienced

Hello everyone,
    I have a few questions that hopefully some of you can help me with. I plan to have a pipe made as a gift for my husband. We are both relatively new to the pipe world transitioning from cigars and have only had a couple of cheap pipes to
    to experiment with.
    I am not sure what type of wood I should choose and what would be the best bowl size?? I like the look of the tiger maple but don't know if this is a good choice, and also if I do go with the maple should I make the stem and bowl from it or should the bowl be made from a different type of wood?
    As for the bowl size I have read quite a bit on the net but I still really have no idea what I should go with. He generally smokes for 15-20 minutes at a time.
    Thanks for any input,
    Ryan

Re: Wife of a newbie looking for some input from the more experienced

I would suggest sticking with briar for a pipe for now. I would also suggest sticking with a professional pipe maker.

As for size, for a short smoke like that, you can go fairly small. A chamber with one inch depth and two thirds of an inch in width will be plenty for that purpose. The cool thing is, all else being equal, smaller is less expensive.
    ********.com

I'm 100% with Mark. Briar, a professional, established maker and a small pipe. Group 2 or even 1 by Dunhill's reckoning, although those size numbers actually refer to the size of the lump of briiar used to make the pipe (and consequently price group) rather than the final bowl size. You could specify a more "normal" bowl size (although many, myself included, prefer a smaller bowl). There is no reason to smoke a bowl through every time. Unlike cigars, pipe tobacco does not mind being left for hours, days or even weeks after being part smoked and will quickly "come alive" again after being relit.
    "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

And if you don't go with a briar from a reputable company/carver, go with a cob. Avoid basket pipes until you are able to judge the craftmanship for yourself. In fact, adding a couple of cobs to your rotation is a good idea anyway. This will keep you from over smoking your briars, and will let you taste different blends on their own, without the "ghost" of previous tobaccos. And since they're cheap and resilient, they can save you from burning out an expensive bowel, which beginners often do as they are learning to pace their smoking. Best of luck, and welcome to the club!

Alpha Puffer Fish drastic_quench's Avatar

Don't get maple. With traditional hardwoods, you still have to baby them to form a cake so they won't burn out. Briar is barely wood. That stuff is pretty like Russian tractor; strong like Russian woman.

Go to smokingpipes.com and browse Johs. They're handmade by a Mogens Johansen in Denmark. Similar quality pipes go for $200 easily, but you can pick out a Johs for about $70. This is a pipe that will have superior engineering to the cheap ones, and it will last multiple lifetimes.
    Any man who checks his watch while smoking his pipe is doing it wrong.