Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Trouble with Cake Forming in Bowl

This is a discussion on Trouble with Cake Forming in Bowl within the The Pipe Hobby How-To Discussion Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Hi, my name is Alex and I'm an FNG to this forum. I've just purchased my first pipe, and I've ...

Newbie in the ocean

Trouble with Cake Forming in Bowl

Hi, my name is Alex and I'm an FNG to this forum. I've just purchased my first pipe, and I've spent the last week working on breaking it in. It looks like several areas in the bowl of my pipe are not forming cake as quickly as others. Is there a way to make the formation of cake more uniform? I would seriously appreciate some advice on this matter

Smoking makes me go Poo! Shemp75's Avatar

Re: Trouble with Cake Forming in Bowl

just let it be
    "Before I bed you wench, have a look at my box of Glass top Cohibas!!"

A lot of people recommend smoking 1/2 bowls for a while to get cake formed at the bottom of the bowl first, which is the most difficult area. This is not necessary if you're able to smoke a bowl all the way down without it getting soggy. If you have any trouble smoking it all the way down, definitely try smoking half bowls for a while. Also, make sure the tobacco you're smoking is dry enough, wet tobacco does not burn well.

Have fun!
    “While you smoke, rub the bowl occasionally along the side of your nose. Briar has an affinity for your natural oils.” -My cellar.-

Elder Puffer Fish Leader piperdown's Avatar

^^^ Good advice from Jeff.

I'm with Shemp; in three months you'll be wondering how you can stop the cake from forming. (Answer: you can't.)
    ********.com

The Cheese stands alone Commander Quan's Avatar

I follow the zen method of cake building, and just let it happen.
    “In my world, everyone's a pony and they all eat rainbows and poop butterflies!

No longer a community member.

My practice is the same as others have posted. I just smoke the pipe. Eventually you'll get enough cake that you can ream it to even it out. I tried smoking partial bowls when breaking in a new pipe once. I smoked one or two fractions of a bowl and then just said "the hell with it" and packed the bowl to the top and puffed away. I've never considered trying it again.

Quote Originally Posted by commonsenseman View Post
    A lot of people recommend smoking 1/2 bowls for a while to get cake formed at the bottom of the bowl first, which is the most difficult area. This is not necessary if you're able to smoke a bowl all the way down without it getting soggy. If you have any trouble smoking it all the way down, definitely try smoking half bowls for a while. Also, make sure the tobacco you're smoking is dry enough, wet tobacco does not burn well.

Have fun!
    I'm with this to a point. That point being " if you're able to smoke a bowl all the way down". The point IM(not so)HO is that smoking a part bowl (I was taught 1/3 or even 1/4 then build slowly upward) makes this easier. Once a cake is well established at the heel, things get much easier. Once a cake is formed without the heel being involved I believe it's even harder to get the job done. A good cake all the way down can transform a pipe's performance. Patience is a virtue and this meant to be a relaxing "hobby", so no need to rush for your nicotine fix.

I don't dry tobacco ever on purpose, so I'm perhaps biased, but I'd say that dry tobacco in an unbroken pipe is possibly the worst time to do this. It's when the pipe would be most prone to burn-out (which is rare) and dry tobacco burns hotter, at least at first before moisture level is restored from the combustion condensate. When you hit the bottom of a bowl (particularly from full) the original moisture content is immaterial. Relighting dozens of times is a cost worth paying to avoid the risk of putting tinder in the bottom of your new pipe.

I stick with the traditional gradual, piece by piece method. The cake will even out.
    "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

Full grown Puffer Fish LandonColby's Avatar

This is just how I do it and I've NEVER had any problems, so take from it what you will.

I fill a brand new pipe to the top (pre-carbonized or not) with my tobacco of choice, and always smoke the first bowls down to the heel (dry the tobacco just enough so you dont get too much moisture build up towards the end of the bowl). When I'm done I stir the ashes, cover the bowl with my palm and shake them around to coat the inside, and then dump them. After its cooled down I run a cleaner through the stem, and then thoroughly wipe the inside of the bowl with a pipe cleaner and you are ready to load'er up for next time.

Building a cake is like raising a child, dont rush the process. Let it grow strong and thorough over time, if you rush it it will only be soft, lumpy, and uneven.
    Slow and steady wins the race
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
    -Bertrand Russell

I keep a little flashlight with me when breaking in a pipe and keep checking the bowl after each smoke. Not because I'm obsessive about it, per se, but because I'm fascinated with the process. Neat to observe the little increments of change as the pipe breaks in. It's also a handy way to observe how much moisture remains after different tobacco blends, as they all seem to have different effects.