Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Storage and smell???

This is a discussion on Storage and smell??? within the The Pipe Hobby How-To Discussion Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; So my wife isn't a fan of smoke, let alone stale smoke smell. I'm curious where any of you other ...

Unhappy Storage and smell???

So my wife isn't a fan of smoke, let alone stale smoke smell. I'm curious where any of you other occasional or recreational smokers keep your pipe between uses? Does anyone else have a solar situation? I would LOVE to put them on display in the house, but am afraid the smell after a smoke is going to get them thrown out while I'm at work one day! I'm open to any and all suggestions and am willing to try anything once.

Thanks in advance!

Wizard of the puff shire Gandalf The Gray's Avatar

Re: Storage and smell???

I normally just keep mine in my desk drawer, but have thought about picking up a small cheap tool box to put them in.

No longer a community member.

If you are cleaning your pipe properly after each use (a cleaner through the stem and wiping any excess dottle out of the bowl) it should not have any notable odor to it in between smokes. The odor comes exclusively from left over tobacco and moisture. I have over 3 dozen pipes on racks in my study and if you closed your eyes you would never know they were there.

Full grown Puffer Fish LandonColby's Avatar

Tobias is right, I have just over a dozen displayed in a relatively small room and while there is a slight notable smell of smoke when i place a freshly smoked pipe on the rack to cool, after it is cooled and has a pipe cleaner ran through it and the inside of the bowl wiped with that same pipe cleaner the smell is nonexistent. If the smell is too much for your lady during the cooling period just leave the pipe in a safe spot outside to cool. bring it in, clean it, and put that baby on display!
    good luck with the wife my friend , I bet she means well.
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
    -Bertrand Russell

Thanks for the tips. I will try it out and see. I want to make my own Pipe/ Tobacco display stand, and wasn't going to put forth the effort if there was going to be a residual odor.

LandonColby- Am I right the your Avatar is a "hop grenade". I haven't looked it up yet, but I dig it!

Quote Originally Posted by mo985 View Post
    Thanks for the tips. I will try it out and see. I want to make my own Pipe/ Tobacco display stand, and wasn't going to put forth the effort if there was going to be a residual odor.

LandonColby- Am I right the your Avatar is a "hop grenade". I haven't looked it up yet, but I dig it!
    You are right indeed! It is the logo for a home brewing forum that my brother (who is an avid beer brewer) belongs to. I love that resin-y, hoppy taste, and I love what the forum stands for so I figured I'd show some support.
    -Bertrand Russell

I too am a huge fan of super hoppy beers!! I cant get enough IBU's!!

The pipes I smoke on a regular basis I keep in my "Ammo-dor", along with a selection of tobacco that I'm currently enjoying. It's an old Army ammo-can that I retrofitted for my cigars. Since my cigar collection has largely been used up (a problem I intend to fix shortly) I'm using for my pipes and tobacco. It works, it's airtight, rugged, and easily packed in the Jeep for camping trips. I keep everything I need for smoking in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0673 View Post
    The pipes I smoke on a regular basis I keep in my "Ammo-dor", along with a selection of tobacco that I'm currently enjoying. It's an old Army ammo-can that I retrofitted for my cigars. Since my cigar collection has largely been used up (a problem I intend to fix shortly) I'm using for my pipes and tobacco. It works, it's airtight, rugged, and easily packed in the Jeep for camping trips. I keep everything I need for smoking in it.
    That is a great idea, but I thought you wanted the pipes to be exposed to air so they could dry and breathe?

After I read your post, I came home and found a small pelican case that is perfect as a travel box!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LandonColby View Post
    You are right indeed! It is the logo for a home brewing forum that my brother (who is an avid beer brewer) belongs to. I love that resin-y, hoppy taste, and I love what the forum stands for so I figured I'd show some support.
    Being in CA, you can easily get Russian River, yeah? Can't find it out east! I had some Pliney the Elder when I was out in Denver in 08!! I got the last 3 pints from the keg!!

Being in CA, you can easily get Russian River, yeah? Can't find it out east! I had some Pliney the Elder when I was out in Denver in 08!! I got the last 3 pints from the keg!!
    Depends on your definition of easy lol. I have a sister who lives in St. Helena which is just east of their brewery and picked up some beer and pint glasses when I visited! Great stuff..
    The last of it?! Did you get all 3 at once hahaha

Im also pretty close to Stone, they are about an hour or so south down the road, they have a beautiful brewery. There is a small stream running through the property, you can go grab a couple growlers and just sit on the grass and have some lunch, it's heaven hahaha
    -Bertrand Russell

That is a great idea, but I thought you wanted the pipes to be exposed to air so they could dry and breathe?
    I hadn't thought about that. When I was deployed I didn't really have an issue with it but it might be time to let them air out for a few days.