Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Getting ready for first restores

This is a discussion on Getting ready for first restores within the The Pipe Hobby How-To Discussion Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Got a half dozen estate pipes that I want to restore, plus one or two that need only minor touch-ups, ...

Getting ready for first restores

Got a half dozen estate pipes that I want to restore, plus one or two that need only minor touch-ups, and I've been accumulating the supplies to do it.

I have:
    Obsidian Pipe Oil
    Denicare Briar Polish
    Pipe Sweetener
    Pipe Cleaners Soft/Medium/Bristle
    Magic Eraser
    Oxyclean
    Sandpaper (fine grades of wet/dry)
    lot of flannel rags
    0000 Steel Wool
    Dremel Tool with many useful attachments.

In the mail I have coming:
    Pipe reamer
    nylon shank cleaning brush set

Everclear and salt are easy enough to get, if needed.

Have I overlooked anything? Anything else you'd recommend?

It's my goal after the first experiences to move on to more challenging restores, like stripping varnish/stain and re-dyeing, and I want to get a buffer setup. Maybe I'll ask my wife for a bench buffer for next Christmas

Pipe'in Aint Easy

Re: Getting ready for first restores

Looks good to me! I will post some of my restored pipes in a bit on here.

I think you have more than you even need, but I also like to keep my pipes a little crusty because I like patina!

If the stems are super oxidized, I'd suggest Micro Mesh finishing products. They bring the shine back on that vulcinite bit like nothing else will. Works much better than a buffer as well!

Have fun and enjoy restoring these pipes. It is as relaxing and rewarding as smoking them.

Quote Originally Posted by Branzig View Post
    Looks good to me! I will post some of my restored pipes in a bit on here.

I think you have more than you even need, but I also like to keep my pipes a little crusty because I like patina!

If the stems are super oxidized, I'd suggest Micro Mesh finishing products. They bring the shine back on that vulcinite bit like nothing else will. Works much better than a buffer as well!
    I did recently acquire some micromesh pads. I think a few of the stems could really use it. The only thing I'm still waiting to get is some overproof alcohol (151 proof is the highest allowable in my state, but that should be fine) and I'll be ready to get started. A couple of the bowls have some fuzzy stuff in them that could either be pipe cleaner fuzz or mold, but I'll treat them as if mold just to be on the safe side.

On one stem the bit is almost completely cracked off, so I might also attempt to shorten the stem and form a new bit. It would be good practice, even if not successful, but I'm hoping it works out.

Quote Originally Posted by Benton629 View Post
    Have fun and enjoy restoring these pipes. It is as relaxing and rewarding as smoking them.
    Thanks! I'm looking forward to it. Restoring some estate pipes looks to be the best way to get a nice collection of everyday smokers within my meager budget, and I enjoy developing new skills.

Pipe'in Aint Easy

Quote Originally Posted by cpmcdill View Post
    I did recently acquire some micromesh pads. I think a few of the stems could really use it. The only thing I'm still waiting to get is some overproof alcohol (151 proof is the highest allowable in my state, but that should be fine) and I'll be ready to get started. A couple of the bowls have some fuzzy stuff in them that could either be pipe cleaner fuzz or mold, but I'll treat them as if mold just to be on the safe side.
    I just run to the local drug store and use 91% Isopropyl alcohol. You can even jump up to the 99% if you so choose. It's cheap, doesn't leave flavor, and evaporates super quick. I love it and have found it the most efficient means of cleaning a pipe.

I doubt it is mold, but a solid salt and alcohol treatment or two will kill anything in the bowl anywho.