Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

How I Restore An Estate Batch. PIC HEAVY!

This is a discussion on How I Restore An Estate Batch. PIC HEAVY! within the The Pipe Hobby How-To Discussion Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Originally Posted by cpmcdill Oh, speaking of Pledge. I once got an estate pipe which a previous owner used to ...

My pipes won't survive-EZ NeverBend's Avatar

Re: How I Restore An Estate Batch. PIC HEAVY!

Quote Originally Posted by cpmcdill View Post
    Oh, speaking of Pledge. I once got an estate pipe which a previous owner used to polish up with Lemon Pledge, possibly on a regular basis over many years.
    I'm sorry that you had this problem but knowing this (and I assume that it smelled of lemon) - why did you buy it?

Quote Originally Posted by NeverBend View Post
    I'm sorry that you had this problem but knowing this (and I assume that it smelled of lemon) - why did you buy it?
    It was one of a lot of six purchased on ebay. Even as I was refurbishing it, the lemon odor was not evident. It had probably penetrated deep into the wood over time and was subsequently covered with other finishes, such as carnauba, by a later owner. The lemon oil didn't really come blasting out until the pipe had heated up from smoking. It was not a pipe I was planning on keeping. I was going to refurbish it, test it out a while, then clean it up again for resale. Now it's consigned to my parts/repair box. as it's got a good re-usable stem.
    "Quite simply, my dear, tobacco is the greatest pleasure that we have ever discovered... I know of no other miracle like it in nature." -- Bela Lugosi, 1939

Quote Originally Posted by Branzig View Post
    I have heard this exact same thing happen before using Pledge. The mere thought of it is enough to scare me away from ever attempting it.

I would use EV Olive Oil before Pledge for a spit shine.
    Hi Branzig,

Perhaps some nitwits are spraying Pledge directly onto (or into!?) their pipes? Perhaps that's what happened to Cpmcdill's pipe but that's not what I said to do. If I wasn't clear, I'm speaking about applying a light wax shine to the outside of a pipe (never any interior area) with a handi-wipe that's been impregnated (and properly allowed to dry).

When sprayed on a handi-wipe and allowed to dry, the propellants dissipate, and you're left with a carnauba based polishing wax and a little oil and a trace lemon scent.

Mike Rochman was an avid pipe collector and president of Ruth Industries, the company that made Briar Pipe Wipe. When the product ran out (it didn't sell well) he explained that BPW was essentially - Pledge, without the lemon scent. He then took out a treated cloth that had a faint lemon scent and he 'polished' some Dunhills with it.

Consider that pipes have (chemical) flavors that are heated inside their bowls, hundreds of times and the flavor can still be removed. A trace of lemon scent on the outside of the bowl has no effect. To put it in perspective, one of the brands of pipes that you restored (in this thread) had (has) a technique that at least two other high profile companies used where they would mix motor oil with tripoli for their smoothing buff. Those other companies insisted that 10-30 was the only grade to use because it had the proper viscosity. That was before the bowl was finished and I assume that you've never tasted motor oil? In other words, you can't taste what's on the outside of your bowl - and if you do - it's on the inside too.

Stains, varnishes, etc., there are some pretty strong things applied to the pipes that you (and we) smoke but there's no taste nor smell but you might think so now that you're aware of it (hope that I haven't gotten you started smelling your pipes!).

You're a talented restorer so I'm surprised that some 'stories' would keep you from considering new ideas.

Saliva, as you've said/proven, is a good light solvent on pipes. Good for schmutz (sp?). Should I now be worried that I'll always smell someone's bad breath when I smoke a pipe that's been saliva rubbed?

Olive oil, on the other hand, should be avoided. When applying anything in liquid form to the outside of the pipe, consider the evaporation rate. If a pipe has lost it's shine and is essentially a smooth piece of wood with stain (or not) on it, oils, olive or other (and I include the ubiquitous 'nose/face' oil mythology), gather dust and debris and can/will clog pores in the wood. Does olive oil evaporate when you cook it? Slowly and more slowly if trying to 'bake' it out of a pipe. Use olive oil and you'll have to use spit to get off the schmutz!

Cpmcdill
    My apologies, I wasn't finished with my post to you.
    From your description I have a feeling that the old owner (or his heirs) tried to clean and disinfect the pipe and used something like Pine-Sol on a pipe cleaner. Once that gets into the mortise gap you're not going to get it out (spittle and heat mixes with it). Again, sorry about the pipe.

(RIP Mike, and sympathies to Janice, Ruthie and Missy)

Regards,

Pete

Hi Cpmcdill,

I found myself typing (I thought to you) and then realized I had already sent the post. I put the completion of the post into my response to Branzig, but I'll repeat it here.

My apologies, I wasn't finished with my post to you.
    From your description I have a feeling that the old owner (or his heirs) tried to clean and disinfect the pipe and used something like Pine-Sol on a pipe cleaner. Once that gets into the mortise gap you're not going to get it out (spittle and heat mixes with it). Again, sorry about the pipe.

EBay makes it hard to smell the pipes. To have that potent a taste/odor makes it probable that something (like Pine-Sol) was used inside the bowl.

Short story:
    My friend's wife loved when he smoked his pipe (and not cigarettes) so when he said that he was going back to the pipes, his loving wife put them in the dishwasher.

Afterwards she said that since they fit so well that the short, upright tines she thought that they were made for pipes.

Pipe'in Aint Easy

@NeverBend

Very insightful and informative post! Pledge may have to be something that I look into at some point! I don't use olive oil, or any other kind of oil (stems excluded of course). I have been known more than once to give my pipes a spit bath
    It's been nice, while it lasted.

@NeverBend

Very insightful and informative post! Pledge may have to be something that I look into at some point! I don't use olive oil, or any other kind of oil (stems excluded of course). I have been known more than once to give my pipes a spit bath
    Hi Branzig,

I found that the wax imbued handi-wipe was great for covering spit on pipes

Maturing Puffer Fish

I want to thank all who have contributed on this thread. I was given a pipe from a friend to try things out and have used this info to restore it back so I will feel better about putting it into my mouth.

Pipe'in Aint Easy

Quote Originally Posted by Flyinglow View Post
    I want to thank all who have contributed on this thread. I was given a pipe from a friend to try things out and have used this info to restore it back so I will feel better about putting it into my mouth.
    Awesome man!

That's why I put the thread together! To help people like yourself out!

Post some pics of it in the general pipe forum so we can all check it out!

Just got three new to me pipes and needed this info. Appreciate everyone's input. Really helps.

Can you just use Denicare on your stems?

Where can you get those super fine sandpapers?

Pipe'in Aint Easy

Quote Originally Posted by jsnake View Post
    Just got three new to me pipes and needed this info. Appreciate everyone's input. Really helps.

Can you just use Denicare on your stems?

Where can you get those super fine sandpapers?
    Don't know about Denicare, but I have used Barkeeper's Friend and a wet cloth to some success!

The micromesh can be found online or at anywhere that sells refinishing goods. I got mine at Woodcraft.

The two on the right. A La Raganella Diamonte and a Morel. Received all this in part of a bombing war on a different part of the interwebs. They are in really good condition so this should be easy. Already started on the stems with a magic eraser which worked wonders. Now the third pipe is a Savinelli and has some oxidization. If a stem isn't black will the same steps help restore it to the original color?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Now for the sad part of the day, and a fair warning to all people buying estate pipes. While buffing the Grabow stem, I failed to realize that there was a hairline crack near the tenon...well when that buffing wheel hit that crack: BLAMO!

The tenon shot off at about a million MPH. This is lame, but it comes with the territory. Don't get discouraged and bummed that things don't always go right. Because when you are dealing with antiques and old things, stuff can and WILL go wrong. Luckily there are a lot of great suppliers out there that sell replacement stems. And being a Grabow stem, it shouldn't be too difficult finding a replacement at all.

Moving on, with the wax applied all that's left is a good final buff with a soft cloth. I use old flannel shirts myself. And TA-DA!

That's all she wrote folks. 3 days of fun packed cleaning and scrubbing leads up to a job well done! It's a lot of elbow grease and hard work, but I find in the end that the final product is very much worth it and rewarding! When I first started restoring pipes, I often got so frustrated not understanding exactly what to do and finding poor descriptions or steps on the internet; so I hope that this little "how-to" shines light on some of the processes and makes some of your lives easier in the world of pipe maintenance and Restoration!
    Thanks for posting all of this information about restoring pipes! Where is a good place to buy the cloth buffing wheels?

Where do you get that super-fine sandpaper?

Quote Originally Posted by haebar View Post
    Here's where I got mine...

Micro Finishing Cloth Abrasive Pads | Shop Hobby Lobby

They're great. Easy to hold on to and plenty of different grits up to 12,000.
    Everything I say should be read in a sarcastic manner first. If the sarcasm makes no sense, read it as if I'm drunk.

"Ooh, marshmallow!" SmokinSpider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by haebar View Post
    Automotive stores (in the paint section) or automotive refinishing stores will have very fine sandpaper also.
    SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast