Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

How I Restore An Estate Batch. PIC HEAVY!

This is a discussion on How I Restore An Estate Batch. PIC HEAVY! within the The Pipe Hobby How-To Discussion Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; lolz...

Pipe'in Aint Easy

Exclamation How I Restore An Estate Batch. PIC HEAVY!

lolz
    Last edited by Branzig; 02-06-2014 at 11:29 PM.

Re: How I Restore An Estate Batch. PIC HEAVY!

Thanks for the details. Those are cleaning up nicely so far. Neat to see the transformation of the Peterson. That's going to be a real beauty. This particular style is one of the pipes on my wish list. I'll be browsing the estates on ebay when I get the budget for it.

Puffer Fish with some spikes Dagesh's Avatar

This is awesome having the play by play with pics. I've been contemplating an estate pipe as my first and I thought giving it a good restore would further our relationship. I'm waiting with bated breath for the next episode.

Pipe'in Aint Easy

********.com

Puffer Fish with some spikes irie's Avatar

awesome thread thanks man

Ruler Of The Galaxy Emperor Zurg's Avatar

Ugh!

All this work makes $100 for a new Savinelli seem like a steal.

Pipe'in Aint Easy

Quote Originally Posted by irie View Post
    awesome thread thanks man
    No problem, I'm looking forward to doing the next installment soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Zurg View Post
    Ugh!

All this work makes $100 for a new Savinelli seem like a steal.
    Exactly! Most people don't realize how much work goes into making these old pipes smoke-worthy again. Most people don't understand why classic pipes cost so much either. Well the work it takes to even make them function again is why! I have a pipe from the 1950's that took 6 days to restore! 6 DAYS!

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

Lots of great info here subscribed!
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

No longer a community member.

So far the only thing you have done that varies from my routine is the use of isopropyl alcohol for the salt treatment. I typically use Everclear, or more commonly, 151. The benefit is that I can drink the leftovers rather than saving them for sterilizing a wound Great thread! If this finishes as it has started I would almost say it should be made a Sticky.

Just an amazing thread, I literally know nothing about pipes but I am in awe of your attention to detail and meticulous work.

Seeing where these pipes started and the night and day difference after each treatment really is amazing even to the untrained eye.

Looking forward to the next phase and finished product.

Pipe'in Aint Easy

Quote Originally Posted by TonyBrooklyn View Post
    Lots of great info here subscribed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias Lutz View Post
    So far the only thing you have done that varies from my routine is the use of isopropyl alcohol for the salt treatment. I typically use Everclear, or more commonly, 151. The benefit is that I can drink the leftovers rather than saving them for sterilizing a wound Great thread! If this finishes as it has started I would almost say it should be made a Sticky.
    Thank you guys.

I was helping a couple guys get set up with doing estate pipes, and I remembered when I first started and how frustrated I was not being able to find very thorough or well thought out instructions to help me along the way. I had quite a few f-ups when I first started, so it influenced me to make a stream-lined, step by step instructional in hopes of helping get other people who are interested in the hobby rolling.

Oh, and yes Tobias, the one down side to using the 91% iso is the inability to drink it, but I do find it helps make my pipe cleaning supplies last a lot longer!

Twerking ain't for Smurfs Packerjh's Avatar

I'm intrigued!
    Just one little Smurf against the world....I feel sorry for you World! BOOM, suckas!

Pipe'in Aint Easy

lolz ********.com

Pipe'in Aint Easy

lolz ********.com

Quote Originally Posted by Branzig View Post
    *Quick Note: I don't literally leave the pipes tilted on another pipe's stem like in the picture. That was just a quick shot for display purposes. I keep them in pipe rests or Tupperware leaning up...that way if they do fall over or spill they only ruin their own finishes and not another finished pipe!
    I have seen a trick elsewhere that should be worth doing. Since the high-proof alcohol and gunk could also mess up a pipe stand, set your pipes during S/A treatment into an open egg carton. The shape of the carton lends well to a stable multi-pipe stand, and it can always be disposed if it gets dirty.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast