Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Plasticky taste coming from all of my pipes?

This is a discussion on Plasticky taste coming from all of my pipes? within the The Pipe Hobby How-To Discussion Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Fellow puffers and pipers, I seem to be having another issue as a beginner pipe smoker. For some reason, I ...

Young Fish

Plasticky taste coming from all of my pipes?

Fellow puffers and pipers,

I seem to be having another issue as a beginner pipe smoker. For some reason, I seem to be picking up a taste of plastic from my pipes. Not just one pipe in particular, but all of the ones I normally smoke. This ranges from some cobs to a maple wood pipe to a briar. I don't know what's causing it. These pipes are mostly new with a max of 5-6 smokes on each of them. The first few puffs are great, but the longer I smoke, the stronger the plastic taste gets. This happens with any tobacco I try. I don't think I'm smoking too fast, as my normal pace seems to be slow enough that my pipe will go out multiple times during a smoke unless I increase my pace to a few puffs a minute. Could it simply be the newness of my pipes?

Also, how often should I tamp the ashes into the pipe? It seems that whenever I do it now, the airway gets plugged and I find myself having to use my tool to loosen the stuff. I don't use any pressure when I tamp the ashes.

Thanks in advance

Re: Plasticky taste coming from all of my pipes?

I have no idea concerning the plastic taste; I never went through that. The tamping is easy though: you tamp whenever necessary. If the draw starts getting 'airy', it needs a tamp; otherwise LEAVE IT ALONE! Just let the weight of the tamper compress the ash. You don't want to compress the unburnt tobacco; you already took care of that when you loaded the pipe. If the airway is getting plugged, you ARE using pressure-stop it!
    ********.com

No longer a community member.

For some reason when I read your title I thought "He's mistakenly smoking a bubble pipe"

It could just be a matter of break-in period. I've never experienced that flavor, but I have tasted some funky off-like flavors when pipes are brand spanking new (particularly cobs). Try smoking a burley blend like PA or Velvet to exorcise them and see if that helps.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader piperdown's Avatar

Darn it, if this was on cigars I could have said "take the cello off before smoking them"
    Since it's pipes….I got nothing

Leading Puffer Fish

I wonder what specific tobaccos he is smoking?