Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Lighting my pipe?

This is a discussion on Lighting my pipe? within the The Pipe Hobby How-To Discussion Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Hey there everyone, I just have a few questions in regards to lighting my pipe. Be searched around on the ...

Question Lighting my pipe?

Hey there everyone, I just have a few questions in regards to lighting my pipe. Be searched around on the forums and done a little bit of research, but I'm still fuzzy on a few things. Mainly, can I use a lighter fluid type lighter? Will it taint my flavor? Should I use butane, and if I do, I know it should be soft flame, as torch lighters can ruin a pipe, no? How about matches? Can anyone make a few recommendations to me on a fairly mid range pipe lighter? Thanks in advance guys, I really appreciate any advice or anything. I'm only asking because I seem to keep finding a bunch of really conflicting posts and articles, "do use this, don't use that!" "No, use that, don't use this!"

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish tmoran's Avatar

Re: Lighting my pipe?

Many people use Zippos with a pipe insert with a lot of success. If you already have a Zippo, I have read that you can send it in and they will provide you with a free pipe insert and return the insert. For butane, soft flame all the way, no torches. Matches work as well. Until I have the spare funds for an IM Corona Old Boy, I use matches, a Bic, or a Djeep. Mostly matches at home and butane in the car.

F.O.G. with nice smokes OnePyroTec's Avatar

Butane soft flame lighters be it a cheap BIC or Colibri for me. I also use some off the wall cactus quill matches from Mexico when I have the urge for matches.

I personally don't like using zippo type fluid lighters even though I have several. You can use a torch if careful...not highly recommended.

It all comes down to what do YOU want to use?

Quote Originally Posted by OnePyroTec View Post

It all comes down to what do YOU want to use?
    I just want to use something that won't ruin my smoke!

Puffer Fish with some spikes izkeh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RiGuy View Post
    I just want to use something that won't ruin my smoke!
    A BIC lighter or kitchen matches won't affect the taste of your smoke or mess up your pipe.

No longer a community member.

I will use anything with a soft flame- Zippo (with pipe chimney), matches (paper and wood), Bic, wand lighter, etc. The only thing I won't use is a torch lighter.

Puffer Fish with some spikes Tony78's Avatar

Like OnePyroTec said, there's pros and cons to every type of lighter so it's really a matter of finding what works best for you.

My experience:
    Zippo pipe lighter - inexpensive & consistent. You do need to wait a couple of seconds after you first light it else you will smell / taste the lighter fluid on the first couple of draws. It won't ruin the entire bowl. For $15 this is a great lighter.

Vector Thunderbird butane pipe insert for zippos: I have two of these. One works reasonably well. The other leaks butane and has been problematic after replacing the flint. Again this thing is $12-15 USD so if you have a spare regular zippo laying around this may be an inexpensive option.

Lotus 25 double down: I like this lighter. It's a refillable butane lighter that has both a side soft flame for pipe and a single vertical jet for cigars. It's $40-$55 USD and I've had mine for >5 years now. The biggest drawback to this lighter is the small fuel tank. I refill this lighter often but I also smoke cigars so the jet is probably the biggest consumer of butane.

I'm tempted to try an IM Corona Old Boy but they are pricey. I'm also tempted to try one of the lighters that has built in pipe tools like the Vertigo puffer.