Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

wet tobacco / how to dry ???

This is a discussion on wet tobacco / how to dry ??? within the The Pipe Hobby How-To Discussion Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; how do I dry out my tobacco if my RH is ~69% in my house? I live in the Sac ...

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish

Question wet tobacco / how to dry ???

how do I dry out my tobacco if my RH is ~69% in my house? I live in the Sac valley of Ca. RH is ~ 98% out side this time of year. (driving in fog sucks)
    Are you New?? click here and join the fun http://www.puff.com/forums/vb/cigar-...-noob-pif.html

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish tmoran's Avatar

Re: wet tobacco / how to dry ???

Try drying it under a lamp for a short while. It usually dries pretty quick, so don't forget it under there.

No longer a community member.

This is the set-up I have in my office at work. There is something similar in my study at home.

30-60 minutes seems to be my preference.

Thanks guys, I will give this a try. (need to stop by walmart for a $5 lamp)
    Are you New?? click here and join the fun http://www.puff.com/forums/vb/cigar-...-noob-pif.html

An Old Retired Wiseguy! JohnnyFlake's Avatar

The best way to dry tobacco is naturally. Spread out a couple of paper towels on a table, desk, etc. and then simply spread out the tobacco on top of the paper towels, in room temperature. It doesn't take very long, two or three hours, depending how damp it is!

the problem is my house is at ~ 70% RH and ~ 63 deg F, it will never dry during the winter here. but summer time when RH is ~ 30% or less then yes spread out for an hour or so will work fine.

Pipe'in Aint Easy

Quote Originally Posted by pdq_wizzard View Post
    the problem is my house is at ~ 70% RH and ~ 63 deg F, it will never dry during the winter here. but summer time when RH is ~ 30% or less then yes spread out for an hour or so will work fine.
    My brother in-law who lives in the tropical part of Maui has to bake his pipe tobacco to lower its overall RH. If it's 70% there, it may be the route you need to take as well.
    It's been nice, while it lasted.

Puffer Fish with some spikes Tony78's Avatar

Get a mason jar and a boveda pack to store your tobacco. Boveda packs are two way so a pack at a rated RH level lower than your tobacco will pull moisture gradually from the tobacco into the boveda pack. They have 32%, 49%, 54% and 62% RH packs available.

Pipe'in Aint Easy

Quote Originally Posted by Tony78 View Post
    They have 32%, 49%, 54% and 62% RH packs available.
    May just be my preference, but to my knowledge even 32% is still way too high to store pipe tobacco.
    It's been nice, while it lasted.

Quote Originally Posted by Branzig View Post
    May just be my preference, but to my knowledge even 32% is still way too high to store pipe tobacco.
    Certainly too high to smoke.
    ********.com

Puffer Fish with some spikes Tony78's Avatar

Everything I've read says pipe tobacco should be in the 12-14% range mositure by weight for storage and somewhere in the 10-12% range for smoking. Below 10% and it's brittle and crumbles to dust and above 14-15% its sticky. I've read 60-65% RH for most pipe tobacco will get you in the 12-14% moisture by weight range. And 55% RH gets you in that 10% moisture by weight range.

I've actually been messing with this a bit to rehydrate some Dunhill EMP that's was too dry. I've put the brittle too dry for me EMP in a mason jar with a small 62%RH Boveda pack for the last 10 days or so. I haven't put one of the digital hygrometer probes in the jar yet but to my fingers the tobacco feels about right for packing. Its springy when I pinch it. It doesn't clump and it doesn't crumble.

$0.02

Full grown Puffer Fish

Has anyone ever really measured the rh of pipe tobacco? I'm sure there is some variance from brand to brand but it would be interesting to see what it is if you put it straight in a jar with a calibrated hygro.

Ruler Of The Galaxy Emperor Zurg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HardHeaded View Post
    Has anyone ever really measured the rh of pipe tobacco? I'm sure there is some variance from brand to brand but it would be interesting to see what it is if you put it straight in a jar with a calibrated hygro.
    Trouble is, if you have tobacco with a humectant in it (like pg or sorbitol ) it's going to steal humidity from the environment in the jar, resulting in a lower r/h reading on the hygro while maintaining a higher % moisture by weight. The humectant treated tobacco acts like a dessicant, rendering % r/h readings largely irrelevant .
    there is no folly of the beast of the earth which is not infinitely outdone by the madness of men

Ruler Of The Galaxy Emperor Zurg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyFlake View Post
    The best way to dry tobacco is naturally. Spread out a couple of paper towels on a table, desk, etc. and then simply spread out the tobacco on top of the paper towels, in room temperature. It doesn't take very long, two or three hours, depending how damp it is!
    I've found this way does result in the most flavorful smoke. Heating the tobacco to dry it does seem to rob it of something. However, if it's muggy out a pg soaked aromatic will NEVER dry.

What about taking a Sterilite container and putting a makeshift dessicant in it like a bed of rice? You can dry out rice by baking at 250 for a couple hours then sealing it in a mason jar to cool off. It's rechargeable indefinitely too. Just repeat the baking process. You could put your pipe's worth of tobacco in there on a napkin or foil tray for an hour and that should suck the moisture out of it. I've thought about this but haven't tried it yet. I just don't know if the pipe full wouldn't instantly resoak itself once you started smoking it in a muggy environment.
    there is no folly of the beast of the earth which is not infinitely outdone by the madness of men

An Old Retired Wiseguy! JohnnyFlake's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Zurg View Post
    I've found this way does result in the most flavorful smoke. Heating the tobacco to dry it does seem to rob it of something. However, if it's muggy out a pg soaked aromatic will NEVER dry.

What about taking a Sterilite container and putting a makeshift dessicant in it like a bed of rice? You can dry out rice by baking at 250 for a couple hours then sealing it in a mason jar to cool off. It's rechargeable indefinitely too. Just repeat the baking process. You could put your pipe's worth of tobacco in there on a napkin or foil tray for an hour and that should suck the moisture out of it. I've thought about this but haven't tried it yet. I just don't know if the pipe full wouldn't instantly resoak itself once you started smoking it in a muggy environment.
    I would not use any system that will suck/force the moisture from the tobacco. I fear that doing so, will also suck out some of the tobaccos natural oils and that is where the flavor is!

Natural is best. If your natural surroundings are too humid to dry out the tobacco, you can place the tobacco on a large plate and put it in a refrigerator. The cold won't hurt it and a refrigerator is a natural dehydrator. The tobacco will slowly dry up slowly. Of course you need to keep an eye on it.

As far as re humidifying tobacco. simply grab a pipe full, place it on a dessert plate and let it set for an hour and it will pick up the natural humidity in your environment. Obviously, this requires some planning, but that can become a natural thing for you to do.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast