Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Drugstore Burley Poll for Pipe Smokers Only

Voters
172. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm a regular pipe smoker and I never tried it

45 26.16%
  • Tried it - hated it (no mas)

21 12.21%
  • Tried it - loved it (a regular consumer of drugstore burley and other tobaks)

102 59.30%
  • Tried it - it's my exclusive smoke

5 2.91%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Drug Store Burleys:: Prince Albert, Carter Hall, Half&Half, etc.

This is a discussion on Drug Store Burleys:: Prince Albert, Carter Hall, Half&Half, etc. within the Pipe Related Reviews forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; This is a cool post. I've wanted to try Half and Half for awhile now. My dad used to smoke ...

Young Puffer Fish

Re: Drug Store Burleys:: Prince Albert, Carter Hall, Half&Half, etc.

This is a cool post. I've wanted to try Half and Half for awhile now. My dad used to smoke it when we'd go on fishing trips.

Here's a random question. Does anyone know of a drugstore blend that might come in an orange bag?

cpk

I like PA in bulk form. I smoke this all day long while in my work truck. I rotate this with other English Blends every other day.

Joe

I tried PA today. I was not just blown away with but it is not a bad smoke. The ultimate something you don't have to think about smoke. It has a hint of sweetness and burly taste. Really straight forward smoke. Easy burning but don't know where they get "long burning" my two bowls went pretty quick. Up next is CH.

What are you guys paying for it locally? I paid $18.95. For a dollar more plus shipping I can get 16oz of butternut burley.
    "I was gonna yell FORE, but I was too busy mumbling "No way that's gonna hit him"

Up-n-coming tobacco dork dmkerr's Avatar

A really good trading buddy (Hermit) sent me some PA and some Walnut that I tried last night for the first time. I liked the PA - a nice straight forward no nonsense burley. Nothing fancy. There's a slight top note of something that I couldn't place but it's very faint. Mostly just the nuttiness of the burley. I would think this would be a GREAT place to start for cigarette smokers trying to kick the habit and get into pipes. No fancy vanilla aroma or extra sweetness, just good old tobacco flavor.

The Walnut was pretty decent but not as good as the PA. If anyone has any Carter Hall they'd be willing to trade, PM me. I've got some bulk McClellands #2015 and bulk Rattrays Red Rapparee to trade. I can only get CH around here in the huge tub and I don't want to make that investment for a sample.

emh

Being from the South, I grew up with PA , CH and H&H.
    For me, H&H has always been a "better than nothin" smoke. CH Ive always liked, to me it seems to have a slight note of bourbon which never hurts a thing!
    PA in the South is pretty much a requirement. Its like grits...even if you dont like it you still smoke it, thats just the way it is!
    Fortunately for me Ive always enjoyed PA. Nothing fancy, not too sweet, just good burley.

Hint-- A little Latakia with your PA is tremendous!
    A man must believe in something...I believe Ill go fishing!

I desire macaroni picturs Vrbas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dmkerr View Post
    The Walnut was pretty decent but not as good as the PA.
    If the Walnut you speak of is the Middleton one, i thoroughly enjoyed that blend. I smoke it out of my English dedicated pipes because of the hint of Latakia, and to me it has the aromatic english quality to it (ever so slightly english). I wasn't aware that this was a drug store blend.
    My sad cellar

Up-n-coming tobacco dork dmkerr's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vrbas View Post
    If the Walnut you speak of is the Middleton one, i thoroughly enjoyed that blend. I smoke it out of my English dedicated pipes because of the hint of Latakia, and to me it has the aromatic english quality to it (ever so slightly english). I wasn't aware that this was a drug store blend.
    I believe it's the Middleton. I didn't notice any latakia in it. Have to go back and try it again. There was something there amongst the burley but I couldn't make it out.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader Mad Hatter's Avatar

Tried it, thought it was so-so and smoke it very rarely, except Carter Hall and Old No. 79. Smoked 'em, hated 'em. I voted tried it, hated it.
    MOO spelled up-side-down and backwards is OOW

If you enjoy these old timers and haven't tried Middleton's Sugar Barrel than you owe it to yourself to dish out a whopping $13 for a tub from JR's. It's not nearly as sweet as the name implies, also has a touch or Virginia to make it a tad more interesting. Let it sit after opening and the sweetener will subside and the Burleys will become more buttery and tasty. Haven't had a Burley blend that I enjoy more and that includes the ones from the custom hand blended houses. Bob Runowski loves this stuff and that's more than good enough for me.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein

Young Fish

I've come to enjoy prince albert. I haven't tried any other drugstore blend, but I'm going to pick up some carter hall tomorrow, and maybe some half and half.

Full grown Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by gillywalker View Post
    This is a cool post. I've wanted to try Half and Half for awhile now. My dad used to smoke it when we'd go on fishing trips.

Here's a random question. Does anyone know of a drugstore blend that might come in an orange bag?
    what else ? Sir Walter Raliegh regular of course

Out for Much Needed Smoke PipesandGOP's Avatar

I've gotta say I do enjoy a bowl of pa or captain black when I need a good no fuss/no thought consistent smoke on a slow day at the store.
    Oppressors begin to tyrannize only when they acheive the installation and blackmailing of their own government officials, the facade of a free press (though privately owned), and an all too believing populace.- Mad Hatter
    Member of The Savage Nation

Ask me why I dinged Black Mister Moo's Avatar

2 1/2 months since I started this thread; 2 1/2 months since my descent into drugstore burley madness began. It's mostly gone. I puffed through one pouch each of PA, CH and H&H and got done with the whole project. It was a combination of boredom and "I'm sick of this stuff" that closed up shop. There are still two pouches of Captain Black but I cannot find the motivation to tear either of them open.

You see, I was seduced away from them by a tin of MacBarens Navy Flake, then Scottish Cake, then KrumbleKake, then some 1792, and now (bless it's little flaked heart) Escudo. I went to their charms and fell under their spells over and over and over again. From here, Prince Albert looks like a remnant of a decaying monachy; Carter Hall appears empty, echoing and cold; and Half & Half reads more like One Sixteenth & One Sixteenth. I might get another pouch of Carter Hall again when my blending burley jar gets empty.
    Last edited by Mister Moo; 12-03-2008 at 07:46 AM.
    "But with a little bit of luck You'll run amok!"

Me thinks Mr MOOO is all up in the fancy pancy baccy"

Thanks for the thread, and I'm still supporting the Prince despite his"decaying monarchy''

Ask me why I dinged Black Mister Moo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dgar View Post
    Me thinks Mr MOOO is all up in the fancy pancy baccy"

Thanks for the thread, and I'm still supporting the Prince despite his"decaying monarchy''
    I feel like such an elitist, hoity-toity, snobling, azzozole for saying what I did. I may spend the rest of my life trying to get over it. But, it's my thread.

No, seriously - I wish I loved the stuff more than everything else put together so I could buy 10 tubs of Carter-Hall and foget about the rest. I can't help myself - I am easily distracted. Yet, still, I love my cobs. I have at least one foot on the ground.
    "But with a little bit of luck You'll run amok!"

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast