Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Drugstore Burley Poll for Pipe Smokers Only

Voters
172. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm a regular pipe smoker and I never tried it

45 26.16%
  • Tried it - hated it (no mas)

21 12.21%
  • Tried it - loved it (a regular consumer of drugstore burley and other tobaks)

102 59.30%
  • Tried it - it's my exclusive smoke

5 2.91%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Drug Store Burleys:: Prince Albert, Carter Hall, Half&Half, etc.

This is a discussion on Drug Store Burleys:: Prince Albert, Carter Hall, Half&Half, etc. within the Pipe Related Reviews forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Captain Black is my favorite drug store blend. Half and Half comes in second but it gives me cotton mouth ...

Full grown Puffer Fish SmokinJohnny's Avatar

Re: Drug Store Burleys:: Prince Albert, Carter Hall, Half&Half, etc.

Captain Black is my favorite drug store blend. Half and Half comes in second but it gives me cotton mouth for some reason.
    Give me tobacco or give me death

I like Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic myself.
    "Choose you this day whom ye serve" Joshua 24:15

Up-n-coming tobacco dork dmkerr's Avatar

I didn't respond to the poll because my answer of choice wasn't an option.

I find most of these blends (Half and Half excluded) to be inoffensive and fine in a pinch. I neither love them nor hate them. If I were out of tobacco except for a bowl of Prince Albert or CH, I'd not suffer unduly. But there are too many other tobaccos I strongly prefer for me to spend much time with the drugstore blends.

Now if they made one that was primarily virginia tobacco, I might be a little more interested.

Tried Prince Albert and liked it myself.

Got myself a big can of Carter Hall the other day. Enjoyable stuff.

Puffer Fish with many spikes WWhermit's Avatar

Needs another category.

Tried, it was decent, but not a regular buyer.

I have a pouch of CH that I bought 6 months ago, and very occasionally have a pipe with it when I want to clean my pallet.

WWhermit
    A person starts to live when he can live outside himself. -Albert Einstein
    My humble cellar.

Up-n-coming tobacco dork dmkerr's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WWhermit View Post
    Needs another category.

Tried, it was decent, but not a regular buyer.

I have a pouch of CH that I bought 6 months ago, and very occasionally have a pipe with it when I want to clean my pallet.

WWhermit
    It's a nice mixer when you want to tone down a really strong tobacco, too. If blending with an aromatic, I wouldn't age it at all. The burley in the CH would probably soak up the aromatic essence. But with a virginia I might give it a little time. It toned down one of those aromatic Altadis freebies to the point where it was almost smokable - and that was a HUGE improvement!

Tried some Captain Black Gold and enjoyed it.

Full grown Puffer Fish AcworthAl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Hatter View Post
    Tried it, thought it was so-so and smoke it very rarely, except Carter Hall and Old No. 79. Smoked 'em, hated 'em. I voted tried it, hated it.
    My favorites are IRC Flake, Gourmet English, Blue Grass Melody, Larry’s Blend, and Cherry Cavendish (Pipeworks and Wilke) about the only aromatic I smoke. However, the other day I noticed a pouch of Carter Hall that I had purchased months ago. I thought what the heck and loaded my pipe. What a remarkable surprise. I really liked it, nice easy smoking, not strong, mild and enjoyable. It is not part of my regular diet

Al

Way back when I was a cigarette smoker, I used half & Half exclusively. I inhaled at that time and half & half was very cool on the lungs. Thankfully I no longer smoke cigarettes or inhale the pipe.

When I first started smoking a pipe and there was no internet....Captain Black was my tobacco.

Never did give an answer for this thread, although I voted long ago.

PA, PA Choice Blend, CH, and to a lesser extent, Half & Half are all regulars for me. At least a bowl of one of these daily.
    Dale

I got a pouch of PA regular this morn and smoked a third of it in a starter pipe as I putzed around the yard all day. It is great for innatentive smoking as it packs, lights, and smokes practically effortlessly. It is a very mellow and pleasant tobacco. The flavor is slightly there for me but that is OK. It is something I can indulge in.

Full grown Puffer Fish brianwalden's Avatar

I just tried Half & Half in a new MM Diplomat this morning. It smelled really good out of the pouch, but I didn't really think the aroma got translated over while smoking. I didn't really pick up much flavor to it, a few times i got a little sourness but it went away after a few puffs. It took about half an hour and only one match to get to the bottom of the bowl. First time I've seen a tobacco light with one match like that. Nothing exciting, but a nice easy morning smoke - went well with a cup of coffee. Hopefully as I smoke this a little more I'll pick up some more flavor in it. I'm going to hold off on voting until I smoke the whole pouch.

One question I had is the bowl of my cob developed a cake instantly as I was smoking it. I could see it forming even as I was lighting the tobacco. Do the cobs have some natural sugars or something in them that carbonize or was this exceptional caking from the tobacco? I'm also fairly astounded at how big the bowl is on this diplomat, it's as big or maybe even slightly larger than a regular sized briar and the walls are pretty thick too. The bowl barely even got above room temperature while smoking it.
    Put that in your pipe and smoke it!

One question I had is the bowl of my cob developed a cake instantly as I was smoking it. I could see it forming even as I was lighting the tobacco. Do the cobs have some natural sugars or something in them that carbonize or was this exceptional caking from the tobacco? I'm also fairly astounded at how big the bowl is on this diplomat, it's as big or maybe even slightly larger than a regular sized briar and the walls are pretty thick too. The bowl barely even got above room temperature while smoking it.
    For me, both Prince Albert and Captain Black cake up briar bowls real fast. Alot of people break in their pipes with these blends for the fast cake.

pipe smokin' duck hunter Hendu3270's Avatar

I went to buy some pipe cleaners this weekend and they had a $5 minimum for debit cards so I decided to grab a pouch of Carter Hall. I was pleased with this tobacco. I think this will be what I take on fishing trips from now on. One thing I noticed was how well it burns. maybe its just cut but it burns very smooth and consistant with zero gurgle even if i smoked it hot. This is the only tobacco I've smoked in this small cut form. Is this the norm for this type of cut?

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast