Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Drugstore Burley Poll for Pipe Smokers Only

Voters
172. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm a regular pipe smoker and I never tried it

    45 26.16%
  • Tried it - hated it (no mas)

    21 12.21%
  • Tried it - loved it (a regular consumer of drugstore burley and other tobaks)

    102 59.30%
  • Tried it - it's my exclusive smoke

    5 2.91%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 122

Drug Store Burleys:: Prince Albert, Carter Hall, Half&Half, etc.

This is a discussion on Drug Store Burleys:: Prince Albert, Carter Hall, Half&Half, etc. within the Pipe Related Reviews forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Originally Posted by Hendu3270 I went to buy some pipe cleaners this weekend and they had a $5 minimum for ...

  
  1. #61

    An Old Retired Wiseguy! JohnnyFlake's Avatar


     

    Re: Drug Store Burleys:: Prince Albert, Carter Hall, Half&Half, etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hendu3270 View Post
    I went to buy some pipe cleaners this weekend and they had a $5 minimum for debit cards so I decided to grab a pouch of Carter Hall. I was pleased with this tobacco. I think this will be what I take on fishing trips from now on. One thing I noticed was how well it burns. maybe its just cut but it burns very smooth and consistant with zero gurgle even if i smoked it hot. This is the only tobacco I've smoked in this small cut form. Is this the norm for this type of cut?


    Yes it is!

    Carter Hall, Prince Albert, Walnut, Revelation, etc. all pack very easily and burn easily and cool. They're room note is fantastic and they burn extremely well outdoors.

  2. #62

    50% detergent, 50% H2O sounds7's Avatar


     

    Re: Drug Store Burleys:: Prince Albert, Carter Hall, Half&Half, etc.

    Naturally I had to try it since thats what my father and grandfather used to smoke. Not my cup of tea actually. To each his own I guess even within the family tree.

  3. #63

    Young Puffer Fish


     

    Re: Drug Store Burleys:: Prince Albert, Carter Hall, Half&Half, etc.

    Voted for hate. I tried Blenders Gold: Black & Burley, it smelled good and tasted ok but was way overloaded with PG which kinda grossed me out.. I don't like chemicals. I ended up dumping it into the trash last week.

  4. #64

    Ask me why I dinged Black Mister Moo's Avatar


     

    Re: Drug Store Burleys:: Prince Albert, Carter Hall, Half&Half, etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zodduska View Post
    Voted for hate. I tried Blenders Gold: Black & Burley, it smelled good and tasted ok but was way overloaded with PG which kinda grossed me out.. I don't like chemicals. I ended up dumping it into the trash last week.
    I understand hate, especially if having once tried Paladin Black Cherry.

    Have you been down the Prince Albert or Carter Hall path via corncob pipe? It may be a better road to travel. Or a lovely one. Or not.
    "But with a little bit of luck You'll run amok!"

  5. #65

    An Old Retired Wiseguy! JohnnyFlake's Avatar


     

    Re: Drug Store Burleys:: Prince Albert, Carter Hall, Half&Half, etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post
    I understand hate, especially if having once tried Paladin Black Cherry.

    Have you been down the Prince Albert or Carter Hall path via corncob pipe? It may be a better road to travel. Or a lovely one. Or not.
    Carter Hall in a Cob - YUM! YUM! YUM!

  6. #66

    Young Puffer Fish


     

    Re: Drug Store Burleys:: Prince Albert, Carter Hall, Half&Half, etc.

    I'll try em and report back.

  7. #67

    Ask me why I dinged Black Mister Moo's Avatar


     

    Re: Drug Store Burleys:: Prince Albert, Carter Hall, Half&Half, etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zodduska View Post
    I'll try em and report back.
    Not wishing to sound irrationally exuberant but, speaking as a generally anti-burleyite, some Carter Hall jammed in a well used cob is not without its pleasures.
    "But with a little bit of luck You'll run amok!"

  8. #68

    Full grown Puffer Fish brianwalden's Avatar


     

    Re: Drug Store Burleys:: Prince Albert, Carter Hall, Half&Half, etc.

    Ok, I'm ready to vote. Sometimes you just want an easy smoking tobacco in an easy smoking pipe. Few people absolutely love the drugstore tobaccos nowadays, but there's a place for them in everyone's rotation.

    Long live the drugstore burleys! (and drugstore aromatics for that matter)
    Put that in your pipe and smoke it!

  9. #69

    Young Puffer Fish postoak's Avatar


     

    Re: Drug Store Burleys:: Prince Albert, Carter Hall, Half&Half, etc.

    I have tried some bulk and tinned tobaccos, but think I'll probably wind up smoking the drugstore stuff exclusively, eventually.

    I've been rotating thru these:

    Prince Albert
    Sir Walter Raleigh Regular
    Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic
    Carter Hall
    Half & Half
    Captain Black (white)
    CVS Admiral's Choice Cherry
    Walgreen's Black and Gold

    Of these, I'll probably settle on PA and Captain Black (my favorite of them all). I think PA and SWR Regular are very similar except for the look (SWR is a cube cut and seems to come very dry). They are almost free of any added scent or flavor which I sometimes like. They load easier than any other blends I have (but for different reasons).

    Carter Hall and Half & Half, seem to be closer to Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic and Captain Black than than they are to PA or SWR Regular. However, I consider them noticeably inferior to Captain Black as they sometimes can smoke a little wet, have a bit (not much) of bite, and don't have as good a flavor or smell as Captain Black. I'll probably be smoking Captain Black forever.

    CVS Admiral's Choice has a bit of tongue bite and Walgreen's Black and Gold has tongue bite AND smokes wet. Still I like it, but not as much as the Captain Black.

  10. #70

    Full grown Puffer Fish AcworthAl's Avatar


     

    Re: Drug Store Burleys:: Prince Albert, Carter Hall, Half&Half, etc.

    Both Carter Hall and Prince Albert are BOTH part of my regular rotation. They are both very good burleys. I think P/A has more nicotine, but I could be wrong.

  11. #71

    Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Arizona's Avatar


     

    Re: Drug Store Burleys:: Prince Albert, Carter Hall, Half&Half, etc.

    I didn't do the Poll cuz my choice would be: Tried it, it's OK just not my favorite thing but fine in a pinch

    Just plain tobacco and nothing particularly great or bad about them (PA, CH or H&H). I still prefer my regular blend - (Black n Gold from Super Value) as it leaves no after-taste, is smooth with no bite, great room note and comes in bulk at good prices!
    Pipe smoker since 1981... 33 years and counting

  12. #72

    Ask me why I dinged Black Mister Moo's Avatar


     

    Re: Drug Store Burleys:: Prince Albert, Carter Hall, Half&Half, etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by Arizona View Post
    I didn't do the Poll cuz my choice would be: Tried it, it's OK just not my favorite thing but fine in a pinch...
    Yes, I smoke a pinch in a pinch. This is my take, too. I'd like to find the idiot who wrote the poll questions and forgot to include that option. Oops. Never mind.

    There has been a half-smoked pouch of H&H sitting on the console of my truck for about eight weeks. Maybe that's why I buy H&H. I smoke half and forget about half. WTH... if I ever get around to the rest it'll still be moist. Like, next year, even. Good old PG. The label says they include PG in grocery store cakes, too. They do stay moist until days after the party is over.
    "But with a little bit of luck You'll run amok!"

  13. #73

    No longer a community member.


     

    Re: Drug Store Burleys:: Prince Albert, Carter Hall, Half&Half, etc.

    I like the drugstore burly blends, all but H&H. PA and SWR are probably the ones I rotate through the most ... I have yet to try Granger ... I bit tough to find .. so I ordered 12 tubs via cup o joes (well, I figure if it is hard to find .. and I like it ... I don't wanna be left out in the cold if it goes the way of Edgeworth-which I have yet to try also ... luckily I found a couple tins that I'm sitting on). Anyway, if I find I don't like the Granger ... you folks will see some tubs up for trade.


    I originally found PA to have a bit of a chemical taste ... but I've found that letting a pouch sit for a couple weeks seems to help that ... and smoking it out of a cob makes it really good. CH is ok .., .but not as much nutty flavor as PA. CB gets used when I need a mild smoke that gives out a nice room (playing cards with my friends/family ... etc)

    Anyone hear anything about Granger being discontinued? Getting back to why I ordered so much ... I tried to have a store order some for me ... he tried 3 times .... though it was on his list of available tobacco .... it never delivered. He called about it ... and they told him that it wasn't available. Could just be his distributor ... but seems strange that many online sources either don't have it .. or are out of stock (at least were when I tried to order).

    I wish I would have had the opportunity to get a pile of Edgeworth last July.

  14. #74

    Full grown Puffer Fish brianwalden's Avatar


     

    Re: Drug Store Burleys:: Prince Albert, Carter Hall, Half&Half, etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by KinnScience View Post
    I like the drugstore burly blends, all but H&H. PA and SWR are probably the ones I rotate through the most ... I have yet to try Granger ... I bit tough to find .. so I ordered 12 tubs via cup o joes (well, I figure if it is hard to find .. and I like it ... I don't wanna be left out in the cold if it goes the way of Edgeworth-which I have yet to try also ... luckily I found a couple tins that I'm sitting on). Anyway, if I find I don't like the Granger ... you folks will see some tubs up for trade.


    I originally found PA to have a bit of a chemical taste ... but I've found that letting a pouch sit for a couple weeks seems to help that ... and smoking it out of a cob makes it really good. CH is ok .., .but not as much nutty flavor as PA. CB gets used when I need a mild smoke that gives out a nice room (playing cards with my friends/family ... etc)

    Anyone hear anything about Granger being discontinued? Getting back to why I ordered so much ... I tried to have a store order some for me ... he tried 3 times .... though it was on his list of available tobacco .... it never delivered. He called about it ... and they told him that it wasn't available. Could just be his distributor ... but seems strange that many online sources either don't have it .. or are out of stock (at least were when I tried to order).

    I wish I would have had the opportunity to get a pile of Edgeworth last July.
    If you're looking for the ready rubbed Edgeworth in a pouch, you can try calling up the Dewey Ave Smoke Shop in Rochester, NY. I bought a pouch there in early April, and I think they had a few more.
    Put that in your pipe and smoke it!

  15. #75

    No longer a community member.


     

    Re: Drug Store Burleys:: Prince Albert, Carter Hall, Half&Half, etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by brianwalden View Post
    If you're looking for the ready rubbed Edgeworth in a pouch, you can try calling up the Dewey Ave Smoke Shop in Rochester, NY. I bought a pouch there in early April, and I think they had a few more.

    Hey Brian,

    Thanks a lot for the tip on the Edgeworth. I bought all he had.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •