Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Middleton's "Sugar Barrel"

This is a discussion on Middleton's "Sugar Barrel" within the Pipe Related Reviews forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Originally Posted by SailorJack If you enjoy these old timers ("Drugstore" tobaccos) and haven't tried Middleton's Sugar Barrel than you ...

Middleton's "Sugar Barrel"

Quote Originally Posted by SailorJack View Post
    If you enjoy these old timers ("Drugstore" tobaccos) and haven't tried Middleton's Sugar Barrel than you owe it to yourself to dish out a whopping $13 for a tub from JR's. It's not nearly as sweet as the name implies, also has a touch or Virginia to make it a tad more interesting. Let it sit after opening and the sweetener will subside and the Burleys will become more buttery and tasty. Haven't had a Burley blend that I enjoy more and that includes the ones from the custom hand blended houses.
    I found this on another thread and thought it was pretty accurate. The price has increased somewhat post-SCHIP but it's still a great bargain. This stuff smells fantastic from the tub and, after a little drying time, smokes great and has a very nice room note..... It passes the "Wife Test" with flying colors. It will never take the place of my most liked oldie of Prince Albert but it comes pretty darn close.
    Dale

Puffer Fish with some spikes Professor Mike's Avatar

Question Re: Middleton's "Sugar Barrel"

Back in the late 60's and early 70's SugarBarrell was considered a DrugStore tobacco. You could find it next to the PA,CH,H&H and SWR.
    I smoked a boat load of it before I discovered the B&M's. As best as I can remember it wasn't bad,in fact it was fairly decent smoke & had a great aroma. I guess I need to rediscover it. As I remember it was fairly inexpensive. Anyone know who carries it as it has disappeared from the DrugStores?

Kindest Reguards

Prof. Mike
    Nobody Dies A Virgin,Life Screws Us All!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Up-n-coming tobacco dork dmkerr's Avatar

Re: Middleton's "Sugar Barrel"

www.jrcigar.com has the best price I've seen for this. I'd like to try this myself if I didn't have to invest in a huge tub.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Mike View Post
    Back in the late 60's and early 70's SugarBarrell was considered a DrugStore tobacco. You could find it next to the PA,CH,H&H and SWR.
    I smoked a boat load of it before I discovered the B&M's. As best as I can remember it wasn't bad,in fact it was fairly decent smoke & had a great aroma. I guess I need to rediscover it. As I remember it was fairly inexpensive. Anyone know who carries it as it has disappeared from the DrugStores?

Kindest Reguards

Prof. Mike

Lightbulb Re: Middleton's "Sugar Barrel"

Quote Originally Posted by dmkerr View Post
    www.jrcigar.com has the best price I've seen for this. I'd like to try this myself if I didn't have to invest in a huge tub.
    Thanks for the link. How does this sound. If I order a tub within the next couple of week I'll let you know. You shoot me a PM with your mailing address and I'll send you a sample to try.

Prof. Mike

Up-n-coming tobacco dork dmkerr's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Mike View Post
    Thanks for the link. How does this sound. If I order a tub within the next couple of week I'll let you know. You shoot me a PM with your mailing address and I'll send you a sample to try.

Prof. Mike
    Does anyone actually turn down a free sample of exactly what they ask for?

Thanks for the offer. Not too much - maybe just a couple of bowls worth. I appreciate it, and will be happy to reciprocate.

Sugar Barrel is still my go to Burley. Often-ed overlooked. The name scares many away. It is not nearly as sweet as the name might suggest.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein

Full grown Puffer Fish AcworthAl's Avatar

Based on what I read here, I tried Sugar Barrel—it is pretty damn good.

Dale

Full grown Puffer Fish AcworthAl's Avatar

I have been amazed by Sugar Barrel. I have probably smoke more of it in the last month than anything else. It is in my opinion a very mild aromatic and it NOT overly sweet. I smoke the few aromatics that I smoke in cheap pipes (Grabows, MM, etc.) I am tempted to load a bowl in a good briar and see if it may even taste better. It lights easily, burns clean and is really a great smoke.

Puffer Fish with some spikes stoked's Avatar

I just got hold of some Sugar Barrel and I'm loving this stuff! I'm not huge on aros these days but SB hits the spot. I've got a fair bit of quality baccys cellared and I keep reaching for the SB since it arrived. Maybe a future all-dayer.

Anybody know some history on this mixture? I googled it but I'm not finding that much.

I found this... The Rotarian - Google Books

Read the Sugar Barrel add.
    Dale

Quote Originally Posted by DSturg369 View Post
    I found this... The Rotarian - Google Books

Read the Sugar Barrel add.

Aged bourbon burley accidentally stored in sugar barrels containing some damp sugar. Very interesting! Ad suggested blending too. Thanks very much for the information.

I've smoked 1 out of 5 bowls of SB today and during the other 4 I thought about SB at least once. I think I'm hooked.

Just found this website that offers it in both 12 oz and 2 oz portions.

SUGAR BARREL - 2oz

Post Re: Middleton's "Sugar Barrel"

Quote Originally Posted by stoked View Post
    I just got hold of some Sugar Barrel and I'm loving this stuff! I'm not huge on aros these days but SB hits the spot. I've got a fair bit of quality baccys cellared and I keep reaching for the SB since it arrived. Maybe a future all-dayer.

Anybody know some history on this mixture? I googled it but I'm not finding that much.
    Do not know much about the history,however I smoked a boat load of it in the 60's. It was packaged in a 2 oz foil pouch.

Prof. Mike

I just found this tidbit through google:

On Friday, August 30, 1963, a U.S. federal trademark registration was filed for SUGAR BARREL. This trademark is owned by JOHN MIDDLETON CO., 475 NORTH LEWIS ROAD, LIMERICK , 19468 .

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast