Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

GL Pease Filmore

This is a discussion on GL Pease Filmore within the Pipe Related Reviews forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; I will start by saying I haven't spent much time with this blend....yet. In fact this is the first Pease ...

Leading Puffer Fish

GL Pease Filmore

I will start by saying I haven't spent much time with this blend....yet. In fact this is the first Pease tobac I have ever tried. I have been working on broadening the spectrum of my experience with VaPers, and this blend is in fact an exerience to behold. It's very well packaged and is a delight to look at and smell upon opening. An easy way to describe the tin aroma would be, "fermentation". There is a definite sweet smell happening here, but it is firmly backed up by a touch of vinegar and a firm foundation of earthy leather. Looking into the tin you are greeted by dark red/brown chunks of broken red VA flake, which displays great brindle thanks to the Perique with which it has been liberally dosed. Tobacco Reviews has latakia listed as an ingredient, but I can not find it here and it is not mentioned by the tin description Mr. Pease has provided us. I had popped the can open a week or two back just out of curiosity. I was surprised at how soft, supple and velvety the feel of the leaf was between my fingers. The moisture content was noticeable, but it didn't seem soggy or gooey. I did not leave the tin sitting open to the air for any real amount of time, but did pop the plastic cap once in a while to take a big whiff and finger the bits of tobacco so as to check its humidity. Seeming stable in condition, I figured I should smoke this blend next.

Filmore packed easily, without fuss, and was easy to control as far as arrangement of the leaf and control of the density in the bowl. I have taken to a method where upon I place unrubbed pieces of broken flakes in a generally vertical fashion at the base of the bowl. These are not really packed in firmly at all. Then with the next pinch, I will take a similar bit of tobacco and place them in the bowl laying sideways on top of the flake from the first step. Next, take a generous portion of leaf from the can and roll it into a ball which is just slightly larger than the diameter of the bowl chamber, and press it down on the first two layers. In my case this results in about 5/8 of the bowl being filled. I will then add another layer of flake laying on its side, another "plug", and then sprinkle the top with some finely rubbed shreds of leaf. I find this makes for pipe that lights easily, needs only minimal attention with the tamper, allows for tobaccos which like to expand great deal(this one), and maintains an easy draw. Another benefit to this method is the different way each of the layers in the bowl will burn. The light fluffy bits on the top take to flame very quickly like kindling in a campfire so as to get things moving. The "plug layer" burns even and steady creating a broad cherry on top of the whole bits of flake which will burn in a slow, cool fashion to release the goodness flakes are known for. The lighting procedure was simple and took two matches. Char, puff once or twice, tamp, light....and we're off to the races.The only way to really describe the overall result with this method is a "cacophony of flavors". I get cocoa, leather, chili pepper essence(not the heat), sweet -tart red Virginia, a deeeeeeep earthy flavor that comes and goes which I can only describe as slow roasted mushrooms. That great buttery pastry flavor is in there(which is one of my favorites) when you snork or retrohale. The complexity and ever evolving nature of this weed makes it great as meditative tool, but it is also such an easy, pleasant, comforting smoke that it could be a more than once a day blend for the care free puffer. This baccy smokes cool, and mild, with no bite. It only gurgled once, but the pipe I have been smoking it in is known for that, and always at the same point about midbowl, no matter the blend. The nic hit was there, but it didn't seem to beat me up, but I think I am bit more tolerant of the vitamin N than some others. Some have mentioned bitter ashy flavors coming through, but I don't think it is a problem with the tobacco. It is mostly user error. I noticed this once or twice when I over tamped the bowl at mid smoke. Dumping the ash resolved the issue entirely. The leavings in the bowl are the classic salt and pepper ash granules that a good VA is known for. The tiny bit of dottle doesn't seem overly soggy and dumps easily. As much as I have enjoyed this so far, I may go for a bigger 8oz can to keep around.

Happy puffing!

*results may vary, the preceding is opinion only, and if yours differs, it is wrong.

Re: GL Pease Filmore

Great review of a great tobacco.
    The world is a better place when the Buffalo Bills are winning.

Good review! I love Fillmore, I've had luck finding 2+ year old tins and this blend settles into a superb complexity over time, really worth putting a few metric tons away for future enjoyment!

I have a 1.5 year old tin open currently, its not "quite" there - as the previous 2 year-old baby was. Ergo next tin poppinze will be at least 2 years old. I have a one pound tin from Dec'07 (they only come in 8oz now) that I have designs upon
    Ron aka RJ aka RJPuffs
    --
    Old age isn't too bad, when you consider the alternative.

Alpha Puffer Fish drastic_quench's Avatar

Fillmore is my hands down favorite blend of all time. I will smoke no other va/per. Consider how high praise and devotion that is, when Escudo and Anniversary Kake are also excellent and widely available. I don't care. Fillmore for life!
    Any man who checks his watch while smoking his pipe is doing it wrong.

Leading Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by drastic_quench View Post
    Fillmore is my hands down favorite blend of all time. I will smoke no other va/per. Consider how high praise and devotion that is, when Escudo and Anniversary Kake are also excellent and widely available. I don't care. Fillmore for life!
    I find that statement to be a little.....ahem....DRASTIC.

I am ordering more, but I can't see forgoing other blends because of this.

Alpha Puffer Fish drastic_quench's Avatar

I gave them a fair shake, but I can't help but enjoy Fillmore far more than any other va/per blend. So I stopped trying to find anything better than the perfection I already had.
    Any man who checks his watch while smoking his pipe is doing it wrong.

Puffer Fish with some spikes

I really enjoy Fillmore but there's no way I'd give up Escudo or Rolands own to be devoted to on Fillmore. I'm just not a one baccy kind of guy

I am a big fan. I scored two 2 year old tins on an online order about 6 months ago. I was thrilled. I smoked one and I'm lettin the other sit another year. I didn't realize the stealthy addition of latakia to this blend until I was completely out. I hadn't thrown away the tin when one day I found myself jonezin pretty hard for it. Like a true crackhead, I scraped up the dregs of the tin and loaded a quarter bowl. It was straight latakia, I kid you not.

I find this blend has a very smooth, oily like mouthfeel that I don't get from other blends. While escudo may stand unshaken from it's high post due it's straight classic vaper status, I do prefer fillmore. It is not without it's detractors, but they can all go hang. Escudo is bright and crisp, fillmore is dark and buttery. May all of you live to smoke a few hundred thousand more bowls.

Obscured By Clouds PinkFloydFan's Avatar

Sweet Review Dave.. very accurate.

I just packed a bowl that Jeff sent me..

It is some awesome stuff.

Next order will contain a line item of this stuff.
    Vin
    " Wish You Were Here " - Pink Floyd
    ** Vin's Updated Cellar Stash ** ....

Up-n-coming tobacco dork dmkerr's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tobac&tea View Post
    It is not without it's detractors, but they can all go hang.
    That would be me! This is me at the end of my rope!

Actually, I'm not a "detractor" per se... I didn't care for it at all but I certainly don't begrudge those who like it. Big difference between "I didn't like this" and "this is crap". When I first tried it 2 years ago, I was much less than impressed but was told to age it. 2 years later, I smoked a few more bowls and then gave away what I had left. Too bad I didn't see this thread first, as I could have split it amongst you guys instead of bequeathing it all to the same chap!
    My pipe doesn't stink - YOU stink!

Quote Originally Posted by dmkerr View Post
    Too bad I didn't see this thread first, as I could have split it amongst you guys instead of bequeathing it all to the same chap!
    I wish you still had it and you could send it to me Dan!!! The heck with these other guys who've had it already!!!

I thought I was gonna try this one finally and both my ready to smoke tins were moldy and rancid and my replacements aren't even a month old yet.

Oh well, one of these days. Plenty to smoke until then.
    But real men--real men prefer their women like pipes. They knock them gently and care for them always. No man shares his pipes!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ultramag View Post
    I wish you still had it and you could send it to me Dan!!! The heck with these other guys who've had it already!!!

I thought I was gonna try this one finally and both my ready to smoke tins were moldy and rancid and my replacements aren't even a month old yet.

Oh well, one of these days. Plenty to smoke until then.
    Why were your tins moldy!? Did they mold while sealed?

Quote Originally Posted by tobac&tea View Post
    Why were your tins moldy!? Did they mold while sealed?
    HERE you go.
    “While you smoke, rub the bowl occasionally along the side of your nose. Briar has an affinity for your natural oils.” -My cellar.-

Young Fish

Fillmore is great stuff.

I have a sealed tin of this waiting to be tried. I love Escudo and Scottish Cake, and I bought Fillmore hoping that it would have a heartier dose of Perique. Looking forward to it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast