Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Reserve du Patron/Semois from Belgian Ardennes

This is a discussion on Reserve du Patron/Semois from Belgian Ardennes within the Pipe Related Reviews forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Wow. The 100g compressed block of Belgium's finest cut shag arrived wrapped in gold foil paper, ribbon-tied. It had a ...

Ask me why I dinged Black Mister Moo's Avatar

Reserve du Patron/Semois from Belgian Ardennes

Wow. The 100g compressed block of Belgium's finest cut shag arrived wrapped in gold foil paper, ribbon-tied. It had a smell like no other tobacco; it didn't seem like it would go well for me at first glance. The smell was weird, the color was weird - dark, almost to gray. Not pretty. It smelled weird and wasn't pretty. What would you expect? The shit scared me to death.

Easy fill and an easy light; doesn't call for relights. Even with plenty of moisture this springy fine cut tobacco wants to burn quickly if you don't uber-compress it and sip. Taste? It tastes great if you like, say, perique +5. Until I learned that there is one small area in Belgium where tobacco has been grown for over 100-years I guessed this leaf was from Africa or Asia or St. James Parish, Louisiana.

Semois river tobacco from the Ardennes region of Belgium is unique and, to my palate, very enjoyable. Spice-like with a serious nic-kick I smoked this happily from a smallish group-2 briar. Not too hot and not too much.

"But with a little bit of luck You'll run amok!"

Re: Reserve du Patron/Semois from Belgian Ardennes

That looks like great stuff! Belgian perique, what next. Parisian Burley?
    Ron aka RJ aka RJPuffs
    --
    Old age isn't too bad, when you consider the alternative.

Sounds delicious! Isn't that a 250g block though?
    “While you smoke, rub the bowl occasionally along the side of your nose. Briar has an affinity for your natural oils.” -My cellar.-

Quote Originally Posted by commonsenseman View Post
    Sounds delicious! Isn't that a 250g block though?
    T'is commonsenseman but it's neither my photo nor my RduP.

My (100g of) Reserve du Patron is repacked in an old Reiner LGF tin with it's label wrapped round, secured with a ribbon. As such it no longer makes for a great photo op.

EDIT: here is the stuff, remoisturized and repackaged in the LGF tin.

Last edited by Mister Moo; 05-18-2010 at 11:17 AM.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Zeabed's Avatar

Pour la couronne de la Sainte Vierge, mon vieux! But you have put de semois du Val Ardennais dans le receptacle allemand de Reiner. Drolle de sacrilege!
    I sure like those French fried taters. Mmm jhmm.

Puffer Fish with some spikes

I had a pouch of Semois, but since I'm not into burleys, it didn't quite ring my bell. To ferret out the contours of the flavor profile, I did try it in a several briars with different chamber geometries (inc. Dublin, stack and pot), and also different substrates (meer, morta, olivewood).

Now that I've been learning VAs, maybe I'll be armed to try on some more Semois some year.

hp
    les

So Moo, where the heck are we supposed to find this stuff? My language skills beyond English, Spanish, Pig Latin, etc. aren't up to snuff, but I can't even seem to find this on Google.be.

Edit - apparently it's not even possible to get you tease!

http://www.mombu.com/cigars/pipes-an...o-3954413.html
    The world is a better place when the Buffalo Bills are winning.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Straw View Post
    So Moo, where the heck are we supposed to find this stuff? l
    I have a few pounds in the basement; you just have to ask, palsie-walsie. Or speak to Vincent Manil:

Tabac Semois - Produits