Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Erinmore FLAKE

This is a discussion on Erinmore FLAKE within the Pipe Related Reviews forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Where to begin? It smells like candy. The flakes are comically small. In fact I just grab 2 every time ...

Leading Puffer Fish

Erinmore FLAKE

Where to begin? It smells like candy. The flakes are comically small. In fact I just grab 2 every time I go to smoke some of this puzzler. There is all kinds of lore/speculation about the topping and the pineapple on the tin. Is it a full on aromatic? Is it a sort of hybrid like some people consider University Flake to be? Let's dive in!

The tin.....The tin design is delightfully dated. The colors and art work harken back to a slower, simpler time. The tiny pocket sized shape make me think it was MEANT to be carried about in the breast pocket of one's jacket. Forgive me if I delve to deep into speculation of the marketing here....easy transport, and bright colors mean you will be more likely to be seen in public with the product. Ever try to stuff a 100g tin of Mac Barren Plum Cake in your shirt pocket?

The size of the flakes....they are small. Cute in a way. You can stick your fingers in the tin, grab one, fold it over, stuff it, and do the same again if your pipe has room. All the while holding the pipe AND tin in the the other hand. Easy flake smoking on the go! I TOLD you I was going to speculate heavily about the marketing going on with this brand.

The SMELL: Love it or hate it, it is a unique aroma. People say pineapple, passion fruit, Juicy Fruit gum, cooked candy chews, and many other things are brought to mind. I have found something of a tropical melange of aromas when popping the tin. I first got hit with coconut. A sweet dry coconut nut unlike the aroma in a tin of Larson No 80. There is also a gooey sweet citrus note in the back, like ......PINEAPPLE. Possibly also mango. I also get a little hit of vanilla. The aroma seems like a dessert and tempts one to take a bite, which made me wonder if kids have ever gotten a hold of this stuff and ended up riding the puke train after finding out the hard way that it wasn't gum or candy. Yes, I am a wee bit evil as I chuckled at the hard lesson they would learn.

The taste: Golden Virginia. Smooth, toasty, nutty, cool burley. Nothing surprising, except for the quality. There are some damned fine tobaccos pressed together here, and they aren't afraid to tell you so. Not bitey, not bitter, not sticky sweet, but yummy in a well rounded way. The topping is something I was worried about. The aroma in the tin was so prominent, I felt sure it would be all over the smoke, and coat my mouth and sinuses like silicone gasket sealer. I was WRONG!(there is a first time for everything)Somehow, be it black magic, divine intervention, or just really knowing what they are doing, they got the topping/casing to work PARALLEL to the tobacco. That's right, it is in the room note just enough to be pleasing to your companion and passers by, you will occasionally catch it in the side stream or on the mustache, but it doesn't figure prominently in the overall flavor of the smoke. All in all, I think there are some similarities in the base blend between this and Uni Flake, but they are certainly not the same.....just similar. I think the Erinmore is brighter with more of a lemon VA tang than a stoved VA darkness. I shall digress! Marketing? Oh hell yes. A high quality, rich, decently complex VA based flake for the experienced smoker who also needs to keep the public around him happy? Hmmmmmm. I told you this stuff had some planning behind it.

The physical smoking experience: Easy, carefree, dry, with a solid dose of vitamin N. I didn't get bitten, gurgled, or felt a need to fuss with the contents of the bowl. You might need to relight on occasion, depending upon your smoking and packing styles, but I just puffed along without a problem. Amazingly, I failed to find any ghouls, demons, or ghosts in my bowl afterward.

All in all: A winner!...and a window into how one might chose a tobacco to keep with them all day. An attractive package which is easy to handle, containing a quality tobacco, posessing a pleasant room note, which deliver a non-fussy smoke all day. I told you they were smart when they came up with this stuff. It probably has something to do with it still being on the market to this day.

ENJOY!

Re: Erinmore FLAKE

This is an absolutely stellar review Dave! How you been smokin this one? Rubbed out or just stuffing it? I've found it a bit moist, and the humidity here in NC hasn't allowed it to dry one bit since I opened the tin.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader dj1340's Avatar

Thanks for the review Dave, nicely done. I bought a tin of Erinmore last year and have been waiting to try it,
    this review gives me a little incentive to open sooner than later.
    The older I get, the better I used to be.

Leading Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by FiveStar View Post
    This is an absolutely stellar review Dave! How you been smokin this one? Rubbed out or just stuffing it? I've found it a bit moist, and the humidity here in NC hasn't allowed it to dry one bit since I opened the tin.
    9 out of 10 smokes with any flake, I crumble but don't totally rub out to ribbons. Whole flakes are a bitch to keep lit many times. I haven't bothered to dry mine at all.

Leading Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by dj1340 View Post
    Thanks for the review Dave, nicely done. I bought a tin of Erinmore last year and have been waiting to try it,
    this review gives me a little incentive to open sooner than later.
    If you are worried about it being too young, there is a date code on the tin. The first two digits are the year.

Great review Dave!
    “While you smoke, rub the bowl occasionally along the side of your nose. Briar has an affinity for your natural oils.” -My cellar.-

Full grown Puffer Fish

the aroma is supposed to be that of prunes, don't smell like that to me. the pineapple on the top is to signify royalty or some kinda crap but i like it too.

Quote Originally Posted by mike t View Post
    the aroma is supposed to be that of prunes, don't smell like that to me. the pineapple on the top is to signify royalty or some kinda crap but i like it too.
    So I've recently been trying to get into this blend, and, unlike so many who apparently get pineapple and coconut upon opening the tin, I do smell prunes distinctly. I love the tin aroma.

Unfortunately, that's about where my love affair with this tobacco ends. I've tried rubbing the hell out of it and folding and stuffing; I've tried smoking it straight from the tin and drying it for an entire day; I've tried it in 4 different pipes of varying shapes. All I get is something that's tough to keep lit and is harsh without any discernible sweetness I'm accustomed to from many other Virginia blends.

Any recommendations with this one guys? I know this is supposed to be a polarizing smoke, but it seems like even those who dislike it do so because they feel it is too heavily cased and too sweet. I'm not getting that at all.

Quote Originally Posted by sepia5 View Post
    Any recommendations with this one guys? I know this is supposed to be a polarizing smoke, but it seems like even those who dislike it do so because they feel it is too heavily cased and too sweet. I'm not getting that at all.
    I found it to have an odd flavor, baking bread. I didn't like it, and yes, as you mentioned it appears to be a love-it-or-mail-it-to-Blaylock blend
    Ron aka RJ aka RJPuffs
    --
    Old age isn't too bad, when you consider the alternative.

Fine review, Dave! As I read along, I became more and more confused. What!? No WAY! NOBODY would recommend carrying this stuff around with them in public.

Then I realized it was ERINMORE, not ENNERDALE. whew.

I have a tin of this. Don't know when I'll get around to it, but it sounds very interesting, however it turns out.

Quote Originally Posted by FiveStar View Post
    Just cracked a tin yesterday. The only way I've smoked my five bowls is cannonballing, which seems to work really well with these flakes. The moisture level is just perfect, right out of the tin if you ask me. One flake, lossely cannonballed into a small MM is right on the money. I'm able to smoke it right down to nothing but ash without any relights at all. One flake worked just dandy in the smallish Bari Dana, too.

Delicious! I'm ordering a whole great whack of this stuff!
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

Puffer Fish with some spikes ruralhipster's Avatar

I am a big fan and have an african meer dedicated to this fine flake. Lately I take a flake and fold twice then give it a quick rub between the fingers before shoving in the pipe, a sliver rubbed out or some dregs from the tin top it off, light and go.

Quote Originally Posted by freestoke View Post

Delicious! I'm ordering a whole great whack of this stuff!
    Wow, it's been February since I started on Erinmore! Tempis fugit! I'd like to say at this point that it's one of my favorite flakes, period. I did in fact order 10 more tins of it at the time! And glad I did! One of the most forgiving smokes around, for sure. I'd write my own review, but you and Nate seem to have have pretty much nailed it. Nice job to both of you!
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

Awesome review. This is still one of my favorites and I'm down to 1 tin of it . I really like it if I pop the tin, put the lid back on, and let it sit for a week or so. It dries it out just enough and it seems to open up a bit.
    "The worst thing you can ever do in life is set yourself goals" - Stephen Fry

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Xodar's Avatar

Great review, really makes me want to try some. I had also associated Ennerdale and Erinmore, but if it's not a lakeland I have been wanting to try something citrrus-sy. Sliding this up the TAD list.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast