Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Dunhill Royal Yacht

This is a discussion on Dunhill Royal Yacht within the Pipe Related Reviews forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Originally Posted by Troutman22 Add me to the camp of those that hate it. I loaded the last of a ...

Re: Dunhill Royal Yacht

Quote Originally Posted by Troutman22 View Post
    Add me to the camp of those that hate it.
    I loaded the last of a tin here, and I'm wondering as I puff merrily along, working on a beef stew for dinner...do you really hate it or just not like it? I can see having it pretty low on the totem pole, but unlike things containing Latakia or perique or some heavy aromatic component, it seems like pretty "ordinary" tobacco to me, in the sense that nothing in particular jumps out as an object of hatred. Even the flavorings are fairly subdued, as opposed to Cherry Blend or the overwhelming vanilla in MacBaren Vanilla Creme Flake. What exactly do you (and others) hate? Just curious. Nobody seems to ever point to anything specific.
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

Here is my reasoning for being more towards the hate camp.

I couldnt keep the stuff lit. I dried it out for varying times. I packed it different ways. I just didnt have much luck. This then forced me to puff like a demon. The result is a hot burning nic kick to the nutz and a washed out flavor. Whenever I tried to slow it down I spent all of my time relighting. To much maintenance for me and I could never get to any flavor.

Seems like I read somewhere that Orlik has issues with QC. Maybe I got a bad tin. My other tin is in the cellar and I am afraid to crack it.
    Pipe Tobacco Lotto winner for July 2014!

Quote Originally Posted by Troutman22 View Post
    Here is my reasoning for being more towards the hate camp.

I couldnt keep the stuff lit...
    Seems like I read somewhere that Orlik has issues with QC. Maybe I got a bad tin. My other tin is in the cellar and I am afraid to crack it.
    Okay, it was more a mechanical rather than a taste problem. That makes sense.

I agree, it can burn a bit wet, which is why I don't smoke it in a very large pipe. And, burning wet, it can create its own little vicious circle of more heat making it ever wetter and harder to light. It's not alone in this. The general way I deal with it is a looser pack, hence less tobacco still (in addition to a smaller pipe). This isn't an all bad thing, since it does indeed have ample vitamin N. You can always fire up a second bowl if you feel you need more nutrition!

Here's a suggestion: Gravity fill a cob or smallish pipe, then pile a mound on top and push it down even with the rim with your thumb. Don't put your fingers or thumb inside the bowl, just push the mound in from the sides and get it level. This will be a loose pack -- very loose, actually. Get a good wall-to-wall light, which should be pretty easy to do. Puff it a few times then let it go out. Tamp it down even very lightly and relight it. Smoke it from there and tamp very gently fairly often. It will be a short smoke, but with a little experimentation you can find a bit firmer pack with those early tamps and the tamps need not be so frequent. You can gradually creep up on a bit more tobacco and a longer smoke until you run into the wetness problem. As long as you don't tamp hard, it should burn fairly dry this way, and as long as you don't draw on it too hard, it should burn fairly cool. Some things just burn wetter than others, especially ribbon with a lot of sugary Virginias (like RY), and you can't give them so much burn time that the bottom of the pile starts to turn into a soggy, nonflammable mass, at which point about all you can do with a relight is steam clean your tongue.

You still might not like it, but at least perhaps you could get a better idea of the taste.
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by freestoke View Post
    Okay, it was more a mechanical rather than a taste problem. That makes sense.

I agree, it can burn a bit wet, which is why I don't smoke it in a very large pipe. And, burning wet, it can create its own little vicious circle of more heat making it ever wetter and harder to light. It's not alone in this. The general way I deal with it is a looser pack, hence less tobacco still (in addition to a smaller pipe). This isn't an all bad thing, since it does indeed have ample vitamin N. You can always fire up a second bowl if you feel you need more nutrition!

Here's a suggestion: Gravity fill a cob or smallish pipe, then pile a mound on top and push it down even with the rim with your thumb. Don't put your fingers or thumb inside the bowl, just push the mound in from the sides and get it level. This will be a loose pack -- very loose, actually. Get a good wall-to-wall light, which should be pretty easy to do. Puff it a few times then let it go out. Tamp it down even very lightly and relight it. Smoke it from there and tamp very gently fairly often. It will be a short smoke, but with a little experimentation you can find a bit firmer pack with those early tamps and the tamps need not be so frequent. You can gradually creep up on a bit more tobacco and a longer smoke until you run into the wetness problem. As long as you don't tamp hard, it should burn fairly dry this way, and as long as you don't draw on it too hard, it should burn fairly cool. Some things just burn wetter than others, especially ribbon with a lot of sugary Virginias (like RY), and you can't give them so much burn time that the bottom of the pile starts to turn into a soggy, nonflammable mass, at which point about all you can do with a relight is steam clean your tongue.

You still might not like it, but at least perhaps you could get a better idea of the taste.
    I smoke it in fairly large sized bowls and have no problem with moisture. I do let it dry a little beforehand, though.

To me, this seems like a pretty low maintenance smoke.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2