Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Dunhill Royal Yacht

This is a discussion on Dunhill Royal Yacht within the Pipe Related Reviews forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; One of the more polarizing smokes around - the blend is as love/hate as the label is contrasting art of ...

Ask me why I dinged Black Mister Moo's Avatar

Dunhill Royal Yacht

One of the more polarizing smokes around - the blend is as love/hate as the label is contrasting art of royal blue, bright red and hot yellow.

The dark look of fine cut stoved virgina is immediately eclipsed by the weirdest smell I know coming out of any can that doesn't already have "FISH" written in the lid. It is something nobody can exactly define - not floral and not a fruit I can pin down. The scent vanishes fast enough and the smoke is deep, dark and punchy - not up to whack of, say, Erinmore, but one dimensional strength (like Hamborger Veermaster) with a nuance of nobody knows what.

I love the stuff - never tire of RY - and await the chance to try the lastest product to see if it holds up. If you try some and hate it, PM me about a swap.
    "But with a little bit of luck You'll run amok!"

Re: Dunhill Royal Yacht

Sound "Fishy" to me! Have not tried the old but when I happen on the new will give it a shot.

Just got a tin at JRs to try... plus some other things.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post
    Just got a tin at JRs to try... plus some other things.
    Ha! I may now dare to compare old and new favorites!

Royal Yacht was one I hadn't gotten around to trying.
    Just before it disappeared, (12/0 I bought eight tins.
    I figured that since it was gone, I'd just let em sit.
    Since it's available again and these tins are now
    over two years old, I'll have to open one soon.
    THE RENT IS TOO DAMN HIGH!

I have been working through a tin of this stuff and while I like it it is not something I would smoke all the time. It is certainly very rich, if it were food the waiter would come replace your regular knife with a steak knife before you began.
    The world is a better place when the Buffalo Bills are winning.

Puffer Fish with some spikes jfdiii's Avatar

I tried and tried to like this. Different pipes, moist or dry, different times of day, after different foods...
    Orange juice and tooth paste, every time, and not in the good way.
    I guess I'll give it a few years and have another go at it, but for now I'm done.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post
    The scent vanishes fast enough and the smoke is deep, dark and punchy - not up to whack of, say, Erinmore, but one dimensional strength (like Hamborger Veermaster) with a nuance of nobody knows what.
    Punchy how? I find it stronger than Erinmore, Vitamin N-wise. Maybe you're talking fruit-punchy?
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by freestoke View Post
    Punchy how? I find it stronger than Erinmore, Vitamin N-wise. Maybe you're talking fruit-punchy?
    Yes - fruit-stink punchiness.

About the same time RY became available again, I smoked a ten year old tin. Then I smoked a new tin. In my opinion, RY is better young than well aged. At least better young than ten years old. YMMV
    Those that know don't tell, and those that tell don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Nachman View Post
    About the same time RY became available again, I smoked a ten year old tin. Then I smoked a new tin. In my opinion, RY is better young than well aged. At least better young than ten years old. YMMV
    I think the Murrays has a lot more aromatic presence (which falls off quickly after the tin gets air; I can't cannot complain about how the new version smokes new, either).

You?

My memory of the old RY is pretty dim, but I like the new stuff just fine.
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

I'm about half way through my first tin of RY...I'm loving it!! I've been smoking it in my larger bowled pipes (Peterson Darwin Deluxe)...I walk a little funny afterwards! Bought another 3 tins just to have around...will probably buy more to cellar.

Add me to the camp of those that hate it. I have a 3yr old time that I will have to sell or trade someday. Just not my thing.
    Pipe Tobacco Lotto winner for July 2014!

RY is not my favorite, but I certainly enjoy it. It's definitely different, I can see it being a "love it or hate it" blend.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast