Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Rattray's Hal O' The Wind

This is a discussion on Rattray's Hal O' The Wind within the Pipe Related Reviews forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; After the Peterson aro half bowl, (didn't like it enough to finish) I decided I needed a good virginia smoke. ...

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes

Rattray's Hal O' The Wind

After the Peterson aro half bowl, (didn't like it enough to finish) I decided I needed a good virginia smoke. So i broke out my 5 year old HOTW. I picked this up from fleabay. What a find! $26 per tin!

You always hear of folks talking about this but until you smoke a bowl you really don't have a clue how good it is. When you open the tin (or jar in my case) the aromas are unbelievable! Figs and prunes dominate and just smell delicious. It's a hand-rubbed broken flake very similar to many of Rattray's other blends I have.

Loads up well and lights easily. Really you think this is a straight virginia. At least I did from TR. But if you go to the Kohlhase & Kopp site it says it has perique and kentucky as well! I'm not tasting the kentucky but I do get a little of the perique. Just enough to get a peppery spice in the background. The virginias are great. You taste the dried fruit with grassy and mown hay hints. Wonderful flavors.

You need to smoke it a bit slower to get all the flavors and keep the bite down. But what a wonderful slow smoke for the evening.

Disclaimer: Since this was 5 years and 4 months old your experience may vary. But I can't imagine by much!

edit: Also realize this is coming from someone who smokes predominantly english blends.
    It was.....well, let's just say it was.

Re: Rattray's Hal O' The Wind

Nice review Dave.
    am curious to know you still have taste buds after smoking english for soo long?, when I smoke a english blend, my taste buds tend to deaden for a day, and everything I eat/drink taste dull
    troy

Quote Originally Posted by laloin View Post
    Nice review Dave.
    am curious to know you still have taste buds after smoking english for soo long?, when I smoke a english blend, my taste buds tend to deaden for a day, and everything I eat/drink taste dull
    troy
    I'm weird. My taste buds are incredibly resilient. Most things that affect other people's taste buds don't have as long lasting effects on mine. The only thing that really affects mine is a cold. Then I'm out of it and might as well not smoke a pipe.

I've always been weird even when I wanted to be just like everyone else.

I've always been weird even when I wanted to be just like everyone else.
    That's a good one for your signature, Dave.

And you're just a review writing machine lately! Your new name should be "Davebot."

Puffer Fish with many spikes Blue_2's Avatar

Thanks for the review!

I have a newer tin of this and haven't broken into it. I have a preference for darker Virginias and VaPers these days and haven't been smoking English blends as much.

I'm looking forward to opening this in a few months, sounds great!

Nice review of a great blend. If you like this I bet you might like Robert McConnell's Scottish Cake.
    The world is a better place when the Buffalo Bills are winning.

One of my favorites.
    THE RENT IS TOO DAMN HIGH!

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Straw View Post
    Nice review of a great blend. If you like this I bet you might like Robert McConnell's Scottish Cake.
    I think I have a sample or I bought a tin or something. It might be Scottish Mixture which I'm sure is different.

Let me know if you have tried it already - I actually bagged up the last of a tin to send you last night.
    The world is a better place when the Buffalo Bills are winning.

Let me know if you have tried it already - I actually bagged up the last of a tin to send you last night.
    LOL, cool. I'll check tonight when I get home and pm you. Thanks for thinking of me!

ditto. I prefer this to Escudo, and I love Escudo. Really need to order a tin of Marlin Flake next time I buy tobacco.

Quote Originally Posted by cakeanddottle View Post
    ditto. I prefer this to Escudo, and I love Escudo. Really need to order a tin of Marlin Flake next time I buy tobacco.
    Marlin is on my "to do" list.

Puffer Fish with many spikes Diodon nepheligina's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by owaindav View Post
    Marlin is on my "to do" list.
    Nice review, Dave. HOTW is certainly high on my list of favorite VAs. I've socked away lbs. of the stuff.

I've got some year old Marlin Flake open if you want to try it. Lemme know.
    "When I was younger I could remember anything, whether it happened or not. " ~Mark Twain

Hate to bring up an old thread but just had to comment.

Got my first tin of this yesterday, and held off on busting into it until today. All I can say is the slope just got a LOT slicker. What a great blend, damn this growing TAD!!

Quote Originally Posted by DahlKen View Post
    Hate to bring up an old thread but just had to comment.

Got my first tin of this yesterday, and held off on busting into it until today. All I can say is the slope just got a LOT slicker. What a great blend, damn this growing TAD!!
    My favorite tobacco, I smoke more of this than anything else. I strongly suggest putting some aside for a year or more, it ages beautifully.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast