Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

G&H Ennerdale Flake

This is a discussion on G&H Ennerdale Flake within the Pipe Related Reviews forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Sorry you didn't like Ennerdale! Like others have pointed out, it just goes to show that everyone's taste buds are ...

Maturing Puffer Fish

Re: G&H Ennerdale Flake

Sorry you didn't like Ennerdale! Like others have pointed out, it just goes to show that everyone's taste buds are different. This has turned into one of my favorite blends, which kind of surprised me -- I've been smoking for 20 years and had never even smelled a "Lakeland" until last year, having subsisted on a diet of mostly Balkans and burlies. But the first bowl of Ennerdale was almost like magic to my tastebuds. I've since added Bosun Cut Plug, Coniston Cut Plug, and Kendal Flake to my normal rotation. I'm particularly prone to tongue bite, and the more floral/soapy blends actually seem to SOOTHE my tongue rather than irritate it. I guess that just goes to show how fickle our individual body chemistries can be!
    I would recommend some other, less "perfumed" Lakelands to you but I have a feeling based on your reaction that you wouldn't enjoy them. Oh well -- more for the rest of us, I guess!

Actually I am still reviewing the Lakelands. Dark Flake uncented most recently. Also tried the Coniston plug which I didn't love or hate. I nice venture off the beaten path. Ennerdale is the only one so far that I have found too flavored. I dont mind a little as long as it is not too perfumy. But you are right about individual tastes and even those change over time and that is why I am even jarring away some Ennerdale for way down the road to revisit.

Maturing Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by sounds7 View Post
    Actually I am still reviewing the Lakelands. Dark Flake uncented most recently. Also tried the Coniston plug which I didn't love or hate. I nice venture off the beaten path. Ennerdale is the only one so far that I have found too flavored. I dont mind a little as long as it is not too perfumy. But you are right about individual tastes and even those change over time and that is why I am even jarring away some Ennerdale for way down the road to revisit.
    You might just enjoy some of the others, then. Ennerdale is by far the most heavily scented of the Lakeland blends (IMHO, of course) and Coniston is a more typical example of the level of flavoring that's applied. The one exception is Dark Flake scented. I think it's doused with the most flavoring of any tobacco I've ever sampled, probably because the leaf is so potent it would overwhelm anything but the strongest flavoring agents. Bosun Cut uses mostly the same flavorings as Ennerdale, but far less of it (and the base tobaccos are stronger). I sometimes mix them together and find it to be a really, really good smoke.
    I hope you enjoy your next sample more than Ennerdale!

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Xodar's Avatar

I had a bit of a Lakeland phobia after my first couple experiences. I just got the nerve to try one of the G&H tobaccos Jim(Freestoke) had sent me as a sample, and Scotch Flake was a pleasant surprise. The Lakeland perfume is present, but it's applied with such a light hand that you can appreciate it accenting the tobacco instead of taking over.

Frankly, Ennerdale overpowered me. Scotch Flake gave me a chance to see that flavor in a different light, I would reccomend trying it as a "Lakeland Light".

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2