Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

G&H Ennerdale Flake

This is a discussion on G&H Ennerdale Flake within the Pipe Related Reviews forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Well I finally grew a pair and fired this tobaccy up in a cob last night. The reviews were down ...

G&H Ennerdale Flake

Well I finally grew a pair and fired this tobaccy up in a cob last night. The reviews were down right scary on TR. One guy even said he gave a hit to his cat and it immediately started licking its butt to get rid of the taste. I too was trying to get rid of the taste but more on that later. The flakes look dark and seem harmless enough, "let me open the bag and take a wiff and see what all this fuss is about"... "Oh my God grandma is that you? Who summoned you from the dead?" Smells like grandma on Sunday just before church all flowerdy and fresh smelling. "I cant smoke Grandma can I" I mulled this over just as I had done a few times before since Owaindav was so kind (Or not) to send me this taste. Heck you only live once I thought and reached for the cobb and folded a flake into the bowl and set it to flame.

Started off hot and quite harsh with a lot of purfume taste and not much else. It started biting just a little bit but I figured that might be the fragrance just burning off before I got to the real tobacco taste. Real tobacco taste? what was I thinking? Yeah right! I began to text Dave while I was smoking this to give him the play by play or did I need a help line? I remembered he had all sorts of problems with his allergies so maybe it wouldnt be a bad idea to have someone who had been through the experience near by in case i needed help. The fragrance was moving more to the background about midbowl and I began to taste what might be tobacco along with the perfume taste however there was no complexity to it. Just sort of a one note samba to put it in musical terms and thats pretty much the way it stayed until the bottom of the bowl. I texted Dave does this have Burley in it? He replied that it was a Va/bur "I cant taste any virginia" I answered, He replied back "I didn't either"

All and all it was not a very satisfying smoke, I didnt get enough tobacco taste nor enough nicotine and I had a total of 4 relights because the stuff was too full of perfume casing. After I put the pipe down i remembered the part about the cat licking its butt and how Dave complained that he couldn't get rid of the taste for 2 1/2 days. I began to panic somewhat. 'What if i have to taste Grandma for 2 1/2 days? No be gone spirits, I went with my first thought and swallowed a couple spoons of Pesto sauce with its olive, garlic and parmesan cheese mixture but that only made my mouth taste like garlic mixed with flowers, maybe some chilli sauce then? No its too late that will upset my stomach and i'll be tossing and turning all night. Instead i took some Nyquil night time cold remedy which helped mask the taste a bit but more importantly got me off to sleep.

This morning I woke up and the taste was gone! Yay! Now I can enjoy Mardi Gras but that cob i smoked the evil flake in has probably seen its last bowl.
    Later on this afternoon I just didnt desire any blend in particular. i couldnt make up my mind what I wanted to smoke and even posted about it in the General forum, nothing, no direction from my taste buds or nose whatsoever. i am now wondering if I momentarily just lost the will to smoke. Maybe if you are a cigarette smoker and need to quit just smoke a lot of ennerdale flake and see what happens. It may just work.
    Last edited by sounds7; 03-08-2011 at 08:22 PM.

Re: G&H Ennerdale Flake

Well, I kinda feel bad now. I started talking about how complex this blend is and got a few folks to go ahead and pull the trigger and it seems that it might be either an acquired taste or just takes a "special" pallet. Sorry bothers if you guys got this blend on my account.

Quote Originally Posted by Pipedreamz View Post
    Well, I kinda feel bad now. I started talking about how complex this blend is and got a few folks to go ahead and pull the trigger and it seems that it might be either an acquired taste or just takes a "special" pallet. Sorry bothers if you guys got this blend on my account.
    Hey no harm no foul. You enjoy it and many others do as well. just not my cup of tea and I didnt buy it because it was sent to me as a sample. there are some other Lakelands that I sort of like that are G&H. This one just didnt do it for me. Not your fault.

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes

I can verify the entire account too. Text messages were flying back and forth like crazy!

Lee, I'm glad I finally tried it. It's not for me but if I hadn't tried it, I'd never know that! So whether someone bought this stuff because of you or not, don't sweat it. They need to try it at least! PM me your addy please.....lol
    It was.....well, let's just say it was.

Also just so you know it was Requiem that got me interested long before I read your thread. He responded in my thread that it was a substitute for St. Bruno which it very well may be as I have never tried that blend

I admit I like it once in a while but could never smoke it daily. Great review, the Grandma part had me laughing "cant smoke grandma!"
    I wish I could write as mysterious as a cat.
    Edgar Allan Poe

Puffer With No Spikes shannensmall's Avatar

I don't think I've ever laughed so hard reading a review...

Well done sir!

I'm guessing that since I find myself being repulsed by some of the heavier floral notes put off by some Orientals in English blends, I should probably just stay away from this one.
    A lack of preparation on your part, does not constitute an emergency on my part.

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes

Believe me, Shannen, it's a completely different floral than ANY oriental I've ever had! My sinus cavaties jump just thinking about it.
    It was.....well, let's just say it was.

Also tasting this St. Bruno substitute has just saved me a whole lot of money because I was actually curious enough to import the stuff over from England and after all thats what the Brits smoke so it has to be worth it. Well now not so much.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader indigosmoke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sounds7 View Post
    Also tasting this St. Bruno substitute has just saved me a whole lot of money because I was actually curious enough to import the stuff over from England and after all thats what the Brits smoke so it has to be worth it. Well now not so much.
    I've never tried this particular one, but I have to say I don't find St. Bruno much like the "Grandma's wearing too much perfume" scented Lakelands I've tried at all. Much more like IF to me. I smoke it in the same pipe I smoke IF in, and I would not do that with any of the scented Lakelands I've tried as that perfume ghosts more than Casper on crack. You might want to give it a try if you can get some. I love it and I don't like the scented Lakelands very much at all.
    “The value of tobacco is best understood when it is the last you possess and there is no chance of getting more.” - Bismarck

OK is it stronger in flavoring as IF, weaker, about the same? That would be an O.K. smoking experience perhaps. Still I dont think I'll be importing any but if anyone has a sample to spare I wouldn't mind trying St. Bruno. Ennerdale i will leave for the essence craved masses to fight over/

Young Puffer Fish

Haha what a great review. Having had pretty much the same experience in my Ennerdale encounter made it all the funnier. Only I actually bought a tin of the stuff. Every time I see that green tin with the word "Ennerdale" on it I start having visions of doilies, pocket handkerchiefs, and jars of hand cream with pictures of lilacs or roses all over them. I guess offering a sample to any of the brave yet curious souls out there is probably a wasted effort in this thread

Don't feel bad in the least Lee Different strokes for different folks. I got to try some of it this weekend thanks to a trade and first thing I thought when I opened the baggy was WOW And I though Dark Flake Scented smelled strong HOLY CRAP!!!!

I like it though Not an all the time smoke for sure but I did like it. The floral essence did bite my tongue some though which is not a problem I have with DF Scented or the other strong lakelands...

Puffer Fish with many spikes Requiem's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sounds7 View Post
    Also just so you know it was Requiem that got me interested long before I read your thread. He responded in my thread that it was a substitute for St. Bruno which it very well may be as I have never tried that blend
    Oh mate, I'm so sorry...
    I can't remember what I wrote before, but just to clear things out, St. Bruno is not at all as perfumy as Ennerdale. Imagine you're smoking an unscented virginia/burley in a pipe ghosted by Ennerdale... St. Bruno is much less perfumy even so.
    The scent is from the same family, but like if Pee-wee Herman was related to Mike Tyson.

Quote Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
    Oh mate, I'm so sorry...
    I can't remember what I wrote before, but just to clear things out, St. Bruno is not at all as perfumy as Ennerdale. Imagine you're smoking an unscented virginia/burley in a pipe ghosted by Ennerdale... St. Bruno is much less perfumy even so.
    The scent is from the same family, but like if Pee-wee Herman was related to Mike Tyson.
    No problem. I didnt buy the Ennerdale it was a sample Dave sent in haste. I will still give St. Bruno a try one day.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast