Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Jaders journey into the newbie sampler

This is a discussion on Jaders journey into the newbie sampler within the Pipe Related Reviews forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Originally Posted by Contrabass Bry I too tried to speed up the drying times with the microwave when I first ...

Re: Jaders journey into the newbie sampler

Quote Originally Posted by Contrabass Bry View Post
    I too tried to speed up the drying times with the microwave when I first started. It did change the flavor quite a bit (and not for the better).

As stated previously, I find that ALL McClellands tobaccos benefit greatly from being dried to the "crispy" state. It will naturally re-hydrate as you progress through the bowl as a by-product of combustion is steam/condensation.

Start too wet and you've got a recipe for frequent re-lights (which will destroy flavor), steam-burned tongue and a soggy pile of unlightable tobacco though 1/2 the bowl.
    How long does it normally take to dry it out to your preferred level?

#1 McClelland apologist Contrabass Bry's Avatar

An hour or more depending on the relative humidity in the air. Fully rubbed out and spread thinly on a piece of paper.

When I say crispy, I'm being literal.

Some like load the tobacco when it's slightly damp as it seems easier to load, then they let it set in the bowl for a few hours to overnight.

Either way is fine. Common rule would be: drier tobacco can be loaded tighter that moist tobacco. But again, you can always adjust the draw with the tamp IF you start on the loose side.
    Last edited by Contrabass Bry; 03-14-2011 at 01:31 PM.

mcclelland's 2100

What a wonderful smoke tonight. Not only did I finally rub and dry the tobacco, but I got my new pipe. For those that have not seen my earlier posts, I purchased a new Stanwell Rhodesian. I will post some pictures later.

Tonights smoke was a Mcclelland's 2100 flake. I rubbed it out thoroughly and then let it dry out for about an hour. What I thought was a 30 minute smoke, ended up taking me an hour with much fewer relights, and for the first time I was successfully able to put the bowl down for a couple of minutes and come back to it without a light. I did have to relight a few times, but it was nothing like in the past. I did pack the bowl a bit too tight, but resolved that within the first 5 minutes. I was able to sip it much better than in the past, getting a nice smooth and full smoke in with about 1/2 the draw I was taking.

As for the tobacco, I found it very pleasant. The taste was full with out being harsh. The Virginia sweetness came through, and as Bryan described I was able to pick on the raisin flavors. I have a hard time describing the other notes. I also found that the raisin flavor did wane as the bowl got lower and was replaced by a nice mellowness smoke.

On a side note, I am tempted to go back and try the last smoke. I will stick to my guns and hold off. I feel as I smoke more, my abilities will increase and so will me ability to judge them.

Here are some pics I took of the pipe. Overall I was impressed with the pipe and I really love the feeling of it in my hand. Its amazing how much better good pipes distribute the heat than cobbs do. Being my first briar, I am in love with it, and now want to have at least "one" more to let them properly rest .

Here are some pics I took.

The hole is right at the bottom of the bowl:

First order of business: great looking pipe! That grain has got my attention. WOW! That will surely serve you well for many years and beyond...

Secondly, glad to hear things are progressing with the technique. My suggestion for the smoking order was two-fold. To set you up with tobaccos that were more easy to load and smoke PLUS traveled systematically across a flavor spectrum. No harm in sticking with one until you "have the hang of it". No foul in going back to a previous tobacco either.

Keep on keeping on...

p.s. did I label as #2100? I meant #2015 (Virginia flake w/perique).

You are right, its the 2015. Apparently I do not know how to read .

I was wonder where you got 2100 from, because I went looking for that blend and I couldn't found it heh
    troy

Benningtons #24

Last night i did not have time to dry out the Dans Blue note, so I decided to try out another tobacco that I had received from my only true pipe store around:

Benningtons No. 24, Baffra - Kentucky White Burley is gently hand-blended with a richer Georgian cube cut burley, then lightly laced with Cyprus Latakia and St. James Perique. Topped off with 100% pure Old Belt Virginia, this mixture is a pleasant change for both English and Aromatic pipe

I have to say that this tobacco was not that appealing to me. I will try this at different dryness levels, but overall it was a bit more harsh than I like. I really enjoy pulling some sweetness from the smoke, but this did not seem to have any in it. If I were to have to describe it, I would say it reminded something of a stale folgers coffee mixed with a turkish coffee. This stuff had a habit of making my mouth really salivate. Once a good mucous membrane was formed in my mouth, the tastes became a bit more enjoyable to me, but as soon as I would swallow a sip of water I had to start over. I should have put the bowl down after the first 5 minutes, but since i am in the break in cycle, I wanted to smoke it all the way down.

I am sure for people that enjoy the English and latakia blends, this would have been good. Simply put, I am just not there yet, and may never be considering I never got to liking maduro cigars.

On a side note, I noticed the Dan's blue note is cut in longer ribbons, should I cut these up, or stuff them in the bowl as is?
    Last edited by jader; 03-16-2011 at 10:16 AM.

Well, they're not all golden...

Could have been a number of things working against that one (ie. how long has this been on his shelf). Sounds like a mostly burley blend so that's why you weren't noticing a lot of natural sweetness. Hopefully this won't scar your future English experiences. I personally think you'll quite like Meridian. It's lighter on the latakia while upping the oriental content. Slightly smokey with the exotic/piquant oriental flavors standing shoulder to shoulder with some nice Virginia sweetness.

On the Blue Note tip, it's at the perfect moisture level in the sack I gave you (this stuff can get harsh if dried too much). By all means, tear some up into smaller pieces if that helps facilitate an easier fill. It's a mish-mash of different cuts anyway (broken Virginia flake, ribbon and chop-cut bright Virginia & cavendish.) Try it all different ways (always being cognizant that blenders utilize different cuts for a reason).

Bryan, Thanks again for the information. I am sure that I will enjoy the meridian. Also, thanks for the tips on the blue note, I actually had some dried out for about 1/2 hour, but will rehyrdate that, or maybe even cut it up and try it out, or use for kindling .

On to the Dans Blue note review. The only thing I can say is that really, really enjoyed it! I decided to keep it long cut and pack the bowl. I found to keep the bowl going I had to give it a few really strong puffs on the light, then it would stay going well. When I first lit up the bowl I was shocked, it almost tasted like a hot chocolate. I then thought this was amazing! Then after about 3 minutes the "true" flavors started to come out. The base strength was very enjoyable. While smoking I tried to identify what I was tasting, and it hit me. This stuff tastes very similar to hot mulled red wine. It was an amazing flavor that I think will fit well into a dessert category. Sweet, decadent and almost sinful As the bowl started to get down, the flavors once again morphed into almost a dried plum taste with the spices really starting to settle in, so it was a mix of the plum and a spicy almost slightly pepperminty after thought in my mouth. Even now, it tastes like I had some interesting desert.

This was, so far, my favorite bowl.

On a side note I did get a little gurgling. This was fixed with a few runs of the pipe cleaner down the mouthpiece and stem.

Sounds like things are shaping up! Glad to hear you enjoyed the Blue Note. It is truely the best aromatic I have found. The flake portion is obviously the same that is used for their Sweet Vanilla Honeydew.

I glad the flavors changed for you. Now you get what I mean about the different cuts! Some will burn faster, adding whatever flavor they carry very quickly then fade away, some will burn slower and compound with other flavors that are developing or newly combusting in the bowl.

Glad to hear things things are firing on all cylinders!

Puffer With No Spikes shannensmall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jader View Post
    I actually had some dried out for about 1/2 hour, but will rehyrdate that, or maybe even cut it up and try it out, or use for kindling
    If you ever accidentally over dry a single portion of baccy like this again. Best thing to do is to go ahead and pack it in the pipe. Then put your mouth over the bowl and blow through the pipe. The moisture from your lungs will rehydrate that portion in 2 seconds flat.
    A lack of preparation on your part, does not constitute an emergency on my part.

Quote Originally Posted by shannensmall View Post
    The moisture from your lungs will rehydrate that portion in 2 seconds flat.
    Cool!

I can see it now...

"Blue Note - Mild, golden Virginias, that have a naturally high sweetness, are mixed with a mild Black Cavendish. The fresh flavor of exotic fruits, a touch of Bourbon Vanilla and lung juice is added to make this an extraordinarily mild blend."

ew.

Puffer With No Spikes shannensmall's Avatar

LOL @ Brian!

It's really a neat trick and it does work great. I learned it from some of the ol timers round here.
    A lack of preparation on your part, does not constitute an emergency on my part.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast