Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Jaders journey into the newbie sampler

This is a discussion on Jaders journey into the newbie sampler within the Pipe Related Reviews forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; I am lovin' these reviews! Next time you try it, go longer on the drying time. This one, when sipped, ...

#1 McClelland apologist Contrabass Bry's Avatar

Re: Jaders journey into the newbie sampler

I am lovin' these reviews! Next time you try it, go longer on the drying time. This one, when sipped, should be consistently pretty sweet.

Totally with you on the WAF when it comes to the lingering smell. I can never guess what will offend or what she'll like! One of the last positive remarks I got was after a bowl of Penzance! Most VA smell like cigarettes to her...

Puffer Fish with many spikes Diodon nepheligina's Avatar

Re: McClelland Frog Morton across the Pond Frog Morton

Quote Originally Posted by jader View Post
    McClelland Frog Morton across the Pond:

HOWEVER, there is something called a WAF or "Wife acceptance factor" that is very important to me. Unfortunately, my wife did not like the smell of this and asked me to go back to the other tobaccos in the clear bags (She thought this was one of the free tins I got the other night). Now you see, while I smoke outside, I still do not want my wife to dislike the smell of me afterwards. Also, one of the main reasons I took up pipe smoking was that the room note was not offensive to guests during our various nights of hanging out with neighbors outside. Long story short, this will have to be the type of smoke I do when no one is around, and the wife is out and about.
    Nice set of reviews.

I've not had the Bennington's blend you had but I have had their #10 Bahia Apooke, #23 Golden Shag, and #45 Rich's Blend. The #10 is an English that has a very incense-like quality to it. #23 I thought was a solid medium smoke, but nothing to get overly excited about. #45 is one of the better aromatics I've had. It has a cocoa flavoring but also has some good tobacco behind it. Maybe give them a try when you run out of your sampler...

In regards to your wife objecting to the Frog...I've had my wife say "mmm, what is that one, I like it". These I make a mental note of as wife friendly blends or as you say they have a high WAF score. Others she has said, "Uggh, that smells awful. Like manure". These are important to have around as well. I put these in the "wife repellent" category. When the nag factor gets too high, you'll know which list of blends to smoke from....
    "When I was younger I could remember anything, whether it happened or not. " ~Mark Twain

Puffer With No Spikes shannensmall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Diodon nepheligina View Post
    In regards to your wife objecting to the Frog...I've had my wife say "mmm, what is that one, I like it". These I make a mental note of as wife friendly blends or as you say they have a high WAF score. Others she has said, "Uggh, that smells awful. Like manure". These are important to have around as well. I put these in the "wife repellent" category. When the nag factor gets too high, you'll know which list of blends to smoke from....
    Best advice ever!
    A lack of preparation on your part, does not constitute an emergency on my part.

Glad to hear you enjoy the Frog Morton across the pond, next try and get a tin of the regular Frog Morton to compare the difference between syrian and cypress Latakia.. and no not the cypress tree dammit I can't spell is all hahahah
    troy

Bryan,
    Glad you like the reviews. I will dry it out more next time.

DN,
    Thanks for the tips on the Bennington blends. Do you live in the Boca or the Tampa area?
    And yes, I agree Shannen, however that is a slippery road, or should a say a way not to get that slippery road

Laloin, I will have to look it up.

G.L. Please Meridian

G.L. Please Meridian

Last night I tried the G.L. Please Meridian. The smell from the back was thick and heavy, and while most of the tobacco seemed dry enough, I dried it out for about 1/2 hour, which seemed to crisp the tobacco up nicely. In addition, I decided to use a balsa filter in the Savinelli.

While smoking this, I could immediately taste the dank darkness that this offered. The snorking of it tended to tingle my nose a lot, and the flavor was definitely strong. In Bryan's instructions he mentioned the flavors of this are very complex and would be hard to decipher. To that I have to agree completely. I tried many different means of ascertaining the flavor but was never all that successful. I had a few notes that I recognized, namely the taste of perfume (as if your were actually tasting the perfume and not smelling it), possibly some citrus essence, and once there may have been just a bit of honey. I am not sure if the honey was truly in the tobacco because I only tasted that after drinking some lemon water.

All in all, I have to be honest and say that I am really not ready to enjoy this type of blend. Its just to strong tasting for my liking. Between the nose burn and the spiciness in the mouth, it was all that I could do to smoke the entire bowl. Also, the WAF was even less than the last. I know I will probably offend a few, because I am sure this blend is enjoyed by many, it just was not my cup o' tea.

I have gone through all the tobacco's that Bryan list in his PM to me, I believe there are one or two more I have to open. I have no idea what to expect from them, and I am sticking to guns about not doing additional research until after I smoke them. I have a feeling tonight will be an "old poppy", "wild cherry", or "blue note" bowl, just to help keep the wife OK with the smoking

Esoterica Tobacciana Tilbury

Esoterica Tobacciana Tilbury.

Have you ever had a tobacco that as soon as you light up you knew that it was a win, even on the charring light. Well this was one of those blends for me. Even before lighting up, the stars just aligned properly for a great smoke. It was a rough evening with the kids, the tobacco was just about the dryness it should be, and the bowl loading went great. Even with a few forced relights because I lit this up on the way to the grocery 10 minutes away, then broke for dinner, I had a hard time finding anything but really good smoking experience.

The smell of the bag was very appealing, nutty, not too strong, but not weak. When I lit this up, I immediately loved the smoothness, and the sweetness of the blend came through, again not contrived like I would get in the local cigar shop aro blends. I swear this was like drinking a nice smooth full bodied coffee, but with strong hints of almond and vanilla. There was enough of something else in there to tingle my nose, without hurting it. During this wonderful bowl, I found that the flavor pretty much stayed true throughout.

All in all, the night was beautiful, and even though the smoking of the bowl was dis-contiguous, it was an absolute pleasurable experience. I have one more sampler to try, then I will revisit some of the previously smoked.

Puffer Fish with many spikes Diodon nepheligina's Avatar

Nice tribute to Tilbury. I love the stuff.
    "When I was younger I could remember anything, whether it happened or not. " ~Mark Twain

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Andrewdk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Diodon nepheligina View Post

I have to admit being guilty of this as well, sometimes a man needs scotch, tobacco and peace (especially when the wife's "coven" have taken over your lounge room), sorry to go off topic. Also good reviews, descriptive and non-judgmental letting the reader make up their own mind.
    The land of milk and honey, a safe haven and the last bastion of freedom - http://www.tobaccocellar.com/andrewdk

TJ,
    Yes, a very good tobacco.

Andrew, glad you enjoy the reviews. I do not think I am as impartial as should be, but I am trying my best not to impart too much. It gets hard when I get really excited about the bowl though

Mcclelland Grand Orientals, Drama Reserve

Mcclelland Grand Orientals, Drama Reserve

Have you ever had a bowl, or two in this case that were hard to smoke. Not because of the tobacco, but just because of all the circumstances surrounding it. That is exactly what happened with this tobacco the last night and why I did not review. Instead I decided to smoke it again tonight, then a bit again tonight.

What I found the first night is that I had a hard time really drawing alot of smoke, even though the cherry seemed to go very well. I blame it on the fact that I tried to pack a small bowl, and take the dog for a walk. During the smoke I found it to be sweet, with not a whole lot of traditional flavor, but with some wonderful hints of spiciness.

Tonight I sat down with the bowl, ready to go. The wife was out, the kids were sleeping. The first thing I did was back the bowl nicely, and it seemed the tobacco was a little dry, so I used Shannen's lung moisture trick. Not sure if this helped, but the bowl did give off a thicker smoke tonight. Then5 minute into the bowl I forgot to set the HTPC to record the show my wife asked, so I had to go inside record the show then go. Once I got back outside I go to light, and my lighter was out of fluid. I had one more interruption, but I think I was able to smoke it properly. Overall, I think the tastes from the previous evening were about the same. Sweet, light on traditional tobacco, and a wonderful light spiciness throughout. Overall I really enjoyed this, and look forward to seeing what additional flavors I can pull out of the bowl.

On another note, for the first time in a few weeks though, I found that I did have to do not one but 2 mid smoke relights. I am not really sure why, the bowl seemed to be packed ok and did not need a lot of stirring. Maybe an over tamp, or my sips were to slow.

This wraps up all of the different blends that Contrabass Bry has sent me. I really appreciate the way he took into account my previous cigar preferences and tailored the sampler. My current plan is to go through the tobacco's that I had trouble with, or that were least preferred, with the couple that lacked the WAF will have to wait until she is not around. I plan on documenting any difference I find, but will probably not write about the stuff I already gave very positive reviews. At this point, I think I have a good base to start playing with different type or similar types of tobaccos.

#1 McClelland apologist Contrabass Bry's Avatar

Sounds like your got it!

You are now firmly adrift in the sea of piping! Happy smoking!

Quote Originally Posted by Contrabass Bry View Post
    You are now firmly adrift in the sea of piping! Happy smoking!
    Adrift!? I think not! Anybody who wins their first try at a slow smoke is under full sail with a favoring wind!

Been enjoying reading about your trip, Jader.
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by freestoke View Post
    Anybody who wins their first try at a slow smoke is under full sail with a favoring wind!

Been enjoying reading about your trip, Jader.
    You give me way too much credit ...Beginners luck I say.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4